Confirmed with Link: Despres re-signs (18.5m/5y - 3.7m AAV)

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know what Hampus is asking, but I'd give him what he wants before I'd do this deal. There's risk in any deal. But there is no doubt who the better player is and will be.

If Bob runs out of money and then tells us Hampus doesn't want to be here, I'm going to tell Bob to go **** himself.
Yeah I'm with you.

This contract is fair. Perhaps even slightly good. But not good enough that I would be willing to lose flexibility on the one that really matters, Lindholm.

Then again I would have said the same for Bieksa.

Oct 18, 2011
lol come on murray is not going to run out of money for lindholm everyone knows he's the most important FA on the roster and he's planned for it

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
lol come on murray is not going to run out of money for lindholm everyone knows he's the most important FA on the roster and he's planned for it

I hope you're right. But he's been spending like a drunken sailor all off season (I'm not saying they were bad deals, but it is a boatload of money) while still not signing the most important guy available to sign. He also made that end of season speech about seeing who wants to be here. I only hope his hardball with Hampus doesn't bite him in the ass.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Yeah I'm with you.

This contract is fair. Perhaps even slightly good. But not good enough that I would be willing to lose flexibility on the one that really matters, Lindholm.

Then again I would have said the same for Bieksa.

i would be very surprised if we dont sign lindholm. we'd give up all our other FAs before we lose lindholm i'd imagine. bob keeps talking about looking for that #1 guy and we know that lindholm is oozing that #1 potential.

Oct 18, 2011
after getzlaf and perry, lindholm is probably the most valuable/most important player on the roster.

he will get signed unless he thinks he's worth elite money already(like the 7-8 neighborhood)

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
BM knows well more than us about how important lindholm is. He was the one who drafted him, and we were the ones saying, "who?" And some of us were more extreme with our words. So let's let the man do his work and applaud the fact he just signed another good contract for us with despres.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I hope you're right. But he's been spending like a drunken sailor all off season (I'm not saying they were bad deals, but it is a boatload of money) while still not signing the most important guy available to sign. He also made that end of season speech about seeing who wants to be here. I only hope his hardball with Hampus doesn't bite him in the ass.
But remember from this offseason, Murray goes after his second choice first. So he's just following his MO.

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
BM knows well more than us about how important lindholm is. He was the one who drafted him, and we were the ones saying, "who?" And some of us were more extreme with our words. So let's let the man do his work and applaud the fact he just signed another good contract for us with despres.
This. All of this. Don't worry about Hammer's contract, definitely not yet at least. ;)

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Bob has said he is looking to make deals for everyone, but the right deal.

I don't think Gibson and Depres were on top of his list, but my guess is that he couldn't find an acceptable deal with Lindholm/Anderson/Vatanen probably because they want top dollar.

He signed the deal that he could and now puts more pressure on their agents to get a deal done. Some may want top dollar or walk (like Perry), but since all these guys are RFAs, but can be a little patient.

I would give Lindholm the same money Calgary gave Hamilton. My guess is he wants more or less UFA years lost, and I can see why that's a problem for the ducks.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Bob has said he is looking to make deals for everyone, but the right deal.

I don't think Gibson and Depres were on top of his list, but my guess is that he couldn't find an acceptable deal with Lindholm/Anderson/Vatanen probably because they want top dollar.

He signed the deal that he could and now puts more pressure on their agents to get a deal done. Some may want top dollar or walk (like Perry), but since all these guys are RFAs, but can be a little patient.

I would give Lindholm the same money Calgary gave Hamilton. My guess is he wants more or less UFA years lost, and I can see why that's a problem for the ducks.

id have absolutely no issue with that

Oct 18, 2011
i would make andersen prove he's worth a long term deal....show us you can get to this team to the finals.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Is that confirmed? The CBA was changed to where it can kick in immediately.

Bieksa waived his previous NTC when he accepted the trade here, meaning that the NTC of his "old" contract doesn't exist anymore, see the Visnovsky trade for reference. The only way Bieksa would have a NTC right now is if the NMC of his "new" contract was extended to cover this season as well. I'm not a CBA expert, but I'm pretty sure that it's not possible to use a new contract to give an older contract NTC. Feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong here.

We haven't even seen Bieksa play for us yet(in games that actually matter).

If Bieksa provides solid defense, and a physical element, I'm not so sure it's an easy choice. You actually have to build a blue line around multiple capabilities. Vatanen helps us with the scoring aspect, but you also need to be able to deal with physical play, and keep the puck out of your net.

Then there is the prospect aspect, with guys like Montour and Theodore. The team may actually be better off trading Vatanen, getting a solid asset in return, and then giving Theodore or Montour a shot. The same could be said of Fowler, if he can't step up. If you move Bieksa and Stoner, you need to replace them. Manson can't take both spots.

IMO defense and physicality is what we're going to get from Lindholm, Despres and Manson, even Fowler to a degree. Vatanen has been an offensive catalyst, especially on the powerplay, which is something neither Stoner nor Bieksa will bring. The point is, Bieksa and Stoner won't bring anything special on the table, thus making the both of them completely replaceable. Manson will replace one of them, and we can get a veteran guy from the market to replace the other. At this point in their careers, Barret Jackman and Kevin Bieksa are essentially the same player, and Jackman is paid half as much.

Montour or Theo could step up and give that offensive boost, but I'd rather not rush either one of them just because it'd be convenient for us. These are just my opinions though.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
For some reason I really get a kick out of imagining him introducing himself as "Simon Despres, the $ is slient"

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Bieksa waived his previous NTC when he accepted the trade here, meaning that the NTC of his "old" contract doesn't exist anymore, see the Visnovsky trade for reference. The only way Bieksa would have a NTC right now is if the NMC of his "new" contract was extended to cover this season as well. I'm not a CBA expert, but I'm pretty sure that it's not possible to use a new contract to give an older contract NTC. Feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong here.

IMO defense and physicality is what we're going to get from Lindholm, Despres and Manson, even Fowler to a degree. Vatanen has been an offensive catalyst, especially on the powerplay, which is something neither Stoner nor Bieksa will bring. The point is, Bieksa and Stoner won't bring anything special on the table, thus making the both of them completely replaceable. Manson will replace one of them, and we can get a veteran guy from the market to replace the other. At this point in their careers, Barret Jackman and Kevin Bieksa are essentially the same player, and Jackman is paid half as much.

Montour or Theo could step up and give that offensive boost, but I'd rather not rush either one of them just because it'd be convenient for us. These are just my opinions though.

It was changed. The new NMC/NTC can kick in immediately if the player is old enough to be eligible for it and both parties want it to.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don't think he's done enough to justify paying him close to $4M. I know we're paying for potential but surely we had more leverage than that.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Agree with Paul...I think this is too much of a gamble on a largely unproven player. I would have taken my chances for at least the first half of the season to see how things pan out, before dishing out this kind of money/term. His value would not go up 'that' much in another 40 games or so.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I don't think he's done enough to justify paying him close to $4M. I know we're paying for potential but surely we had more leverage than that.

I agree, but I wonder if Fowler factored in to this. Cam spoke out on wanting to fill the leadership void on the back end, and perhaps Murray reacted by locking up his partner for the next five years. In other words, this signing was just as much about Cam as it was Despres. :dunno: Once you get past the justification for signing Despres right now vs. next summer, the payout is pretty reasonable.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: