Confirmed with Link: Despres re-signs (18.5m/5y - 3.7m AAV)

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
So I'm assuming Magnus is next......does this spell the end for Vats because they chose Depres to sign first. We all know Magnus is the priority so I wonder if it came down to Simon or Vats. Shea is in the wings to replace Vats and Manson is there to replace Stoner.

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
This is a good deal, possibly a great deal. But I do think it puts even more pressure on Vatanen to either take a big discount or prepare to be shopped and traded to the highest bidder this summer.

That Stoner contract is a damn albatross.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If they can't keep Vatanen hopefully he gets moved for a top forward prospect. That would really suck if it came to that though

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Yeah if they move vats it will need to be for someone who can score. We don't have many of those.

I pretty much expect it to come to that as well. There has to be some source of cheap labor on the back end, they can't all make this salary.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
My goodness GMBM really outdid himself with this contract. What an amazing value for someone of Despres's ilk.

That trade has to be considered one of Murray's best deals.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Yeah if they move vats it will need to be for someone who can score. We don't have many of those.

I pretty much expect it to come to that as well. There has to be some source of cheap labor on the back end, they can't all make this salary.

As soon as I saw the extension, I figured Vatman's days in an Anaheim sweater might be numbered.

This could be his last year in Anaheim.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
A top 4 that includes Lindholm, Fowler, and Despres is probably better for us than one that includes Lindholm, Fowler, and Vatanen.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Great deal! Despres offers something we don't had before. Manson and him will be our physical force. I still wonder how we will fit our young D. Larsson seems to do great but is 2-3 years away. Theodore will play in Anaheim next season. Petterson and Montour are our dark horses.

I tnink, at the end of the day Vatanen will be the man out. I have no idea how we can fit him under the CAP when you look at our RFA the upcoming summer.

I really like this one for Simon, him and Cam can be a great pair for years to come, hopefully.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Again - next season is the small number so Bob keeps us at some flexibility here

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I was hoping that he'd get a short bridge deal so we might have more flexibility to keep everyone longer, and to see for certain that he doesn't have a little Sbisa in him, but it's a very solid signing nonetheless. The breakdown is 2.6 - 3.1 - 4.7 - 4.7 - 3.4... can't argue with that. It'll be interesting to see how things play out from here.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I'll be the guy that says, that's kind of a lot for a late bloomer who's played very few games as a lineup regular.

What would you suggest that the Ducks do instead?

This is much better than a bridge deal. I think the Ducks are going to save a significant amount of money longterm giving Despres this deal. In my opinion, this contract doesn't hold a lot of risk. He is entering the prime of his career, is young, has already proven his worth in the post-season, has chemistry with Fowler.

The Ducks would likely have to pay another defenseman just as much, if not more than Despres (unless they started using rookies like Theodore or Montour).

It's a fantastic deal in my view.

Last edited:

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
That's more because of Lindholm and Fowler though. If we had a top 4 guy with size Vatanen would be an ideal 4.
There's this dude in our system who might be ready next year...

Let us know what you think of him tomorrow night. You're going to the Gulls opener, right?

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
Yeah but stoner doesnt belong in this thread.

:laugh: Or on a team of this caliber, but oops there he is.

Hopefully BM can find a taker, but my hopes aren't high with so many vets having to jet off to Europe to find a contract this past summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad