Confirmed with Link: Despres re-signs (18.5m/5y - 3.7m AAV)

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
That's more because of Lindholm and Fowler though. If we had a top 4 guy with size Vatanen would be an ideal 4.

That's true. Well, now we have a top 4 guy with size. At least in theory. We'll see how Despres does.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I was hoping that he'd get a short bridge deal so we might have more flexibility to keep everyone longer, and to see for certain that he doesn't have a little Sbisa in him, but it's a very solid signing nonetheless. The breakdown is 2.6 - 3.1 - 4.7 - 4.7 - 3.4... can't argue with that. It'll be interesting to see how things play out from here.

Yeah. I'm starting to think that the impending cap slaughter was just a hypothetical. But ever since Murray delivered that prophesy, he's been pretty damn determined to make it come true.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
What would you suggest that the Ducks do instead?

This is much better than a bridge deal. I think the Ducks are going to save a significant amount of money longterm giving Despres this deal. In my opinion, this contract doesn't hold a lot of risk. He is entering the prime of his career, is young, has already proven his worth in the post-season, has chemistry with Fowler.

The Ducks would likely have to pay another defenseman just as much, if not more than Despres (unless they started using rookies like Theodore or Montour).

It's a fantastic deal in my view.

Despres has proven about as much worth in the playoffs as Etem had after that Detroit series.

He's been excellent since he got here but this contract is a pretty clear gamble. I kinda thought we weren't in that mode given our cap troubles but the all the recent deals have cleared that up for me.

Oct 18, 2011
glad to have him as part of our core moving forward, his skill set is unique for this team i am guessing he will be slotted to eventually take over the beauchemin role as he's kind of a similar player.

now just get rid of stoner, sign lindholm and decide what to do with vatanen

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
I think the reason why we got such a long term deal with Despres done is that he seems like the more sensitive player when it comes to player management. He seemed really bummed to be traded. Also, it was noticeable that Getzlaf and Perry would make attempts to talk to him or acknowledge him to try to incorporate him more. I'm just glad he seems to like it here and the long term lets him know the organization wants him.

Also whatever happen with our talks with Rik Rak? I thought they were close too?

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
I am indeed. Probably going to get a jersey as well.

I don't think I want a SOB jersey though :sarcasm:

I can't imagine why not.

I want to get one too, those jerseys are slick. Trying to talk a friend or two into riding down with me tomorrow, but most want to watch the Ducks game and that's not a bad backup plan.

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
I think the reason why we got such a long term deal with Despres done is that he seems like the more sensitive player when it comes to player management. He seemed really bummed to be traded. Also, it was noticeable that Getzlaf and Perry would make attempts to talk to him or acknowledge him to try to incorporate him more. I'm just glad he seems to like it here and the long term lets him know the organization wants him.

Also whatever happen with our talks with Rik Rak? I thought they were close too?
Those talks could get painful if Perry maintains his usual Perry pace on Raks' wing.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I can't imagine why not.

I want to get one too, those jerseys are slick. Trying to talk a friend or two into riding down with me tomorrow, but most want to watch the Ducks game and that's not a bad backup plan.

My brother got season tickets on the corner glass. Gotta take advantage of that :nod:

Definitely a Ducks game I'd prefer not to be missing though

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Despres has proven about as much worth in the playoffs as Etem had after that Detroit series.

He's been excellent since he got here but this contract is a pretty clear gamble. I kinda thought we weren't in that mode given our cap troubles but the all the recent deals have cleared that up for me.

Except Despres has already played for the Penguins for some while and did quite well there.
But i agree that this contract definitely is a bit of a gamble but imo he is a good player to gamble on. I do wish it was for a bit less money though but overall i`m 7.5/10 happy with this

PS
Look at his new player pic hehe
8475155.jpg

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
I am indeed. Probably going to get a jersey as well.

I don't think I want a SOB jersey though :sarcasm:

Love the look of the black jerseys, definitely thinking of getting one too. Looking to maybe take the train down to a game this season.

Very happy with the signing, on to Magnus!

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
So first we brought in Wiz and it looked like Despres trade came in at the very end (thank you, Rutherford) and Des just took the top4 spot and run with it wich resulted in Wiz sitting out all playoffs. Now Wiz was traded to Carolina and he torn his ACL in the 2nd shift there. In less than 24h Despres happened to sign new 5year extension. Crazy how this worked out.

PS
If he doesn`t live up to his potential, he will be put in an expansion draft and someone will pick him up and pay him the big remaining dollars because he earns 900k this season and 2.6 next year :)

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Seems like a good deal to me. A bit too high on the money, but the longer term makes up for it.

Get rid of Stoner + Bieksa, sign Hampus and Vatz and our D is set for a long time.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Seems like a good deal to me. A bit too high on the money, but the longer term makes up for it.

Get rid of Stoner + Bieksa, sign Hampus and Vatz and our D is set for a long time.

We just added Bieksa. We aren't just going to get rid of him.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
We just added Bieksa. We aren't just going to get rid of him.

Technically, July 1st 2016 is the date when his NTC/NMC/whatever kicks in, so we have until the next offseason to deal him somewhere.

To me, it's an easy choice between him and Vatman.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Technically, July 1st 2016 is the date when his NTC/NMC/whatever kicks in, so we have until the next offseason to deal him somewhere.

Is that confirmed? The CBA was changed to where it can kick in immediately.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

We haven't even seen Bieksa play for us yet(in games that actually matter).

If Bieksa provides solid defense, and a physical element, I'm not so sure it's an easy choice. You actually have to build a blue line around multiple capabilities. Vatanen helps us with the scoring aspect, but you also need to be able to deal with physical play, and keep the puck out of your net.

Then there is the prospect aspect, with guys like Montour and Theodore. The team may actually be better off trading Vatanen, getting a solid asset in return, and then giving Theodore or Montour a shot. The same could be said of Fowler, if he can't step up. If you move Bieksa and Stoner, you need to replace them. Manson can't take both spots.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don't know what Hampus is asking, but I'd give him what he wants before I'd do this deal. There's risk in any deal. But there is no doubt who the better player is and will be.

If Bob runs out of money and then tells us Hampus doesn't want to be here, I'm going to tell Bob to go **** himself.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

This deal was fair market value and not a means of appeasing a sensitive player. Brendan Dillon got a similar deal and he's the same age, plays the same style but played a few more games with lesser stats. If Dez waited for the season to play out he could potetnially have gotten an even bigger deal. This contract is right on the money for what he's worth.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
:laugh: Or on a team of this caliber, but oops there he is.

Hopefully BM can find a taker, but my hopes aren't high with so many vets having to jet off to Europe to find a contract this past summer.

All this Stoner hate... Can't wait until he gets his name engraved this summer...

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
This deal was fair market value and not a means of appeasing a sensitive player. Brendan Dillon got a similar deal and he's the same age, plays the same style but played a few more games with lesser stats. If Dez waited for the season to play out he could potetnially have gotten an even bigger deal. This contract is right on the money for what he's worth.

Dillon is a good comparable. Heck, Sbisa just signed for $3.6MM, so the value is a no-brainer. I'm not convinced there was a big risk in waiting it out until other higher priorities were settled, though. With Manson making strides I think we had all the leverage we needed to take our chances on Dez pricing himself out of here. I think the recent comments from Murray along the lines of someone "playing hardball" and "seeing what young players want to be here" adds another dynamic to this. This signing feels a season premature with two top-4 spots still arguably up for grabs, hopefully this isn't a sign that he's soured on negotiations with someone else

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: