News Article: Despres/Ebbett to WBS, Bennett to ECHL, Pouliot to WHL, Letang/Vokoun to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Do you really question Craig Adams work ethic?
That is the way sports is when it comes to vets and young players. Like it or lump it.

No I question Craig Adams' ability at hockey at this stage of his career. I was just taking your theory for a test drive.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think it's hilarious that Despres is sent down due to a bad camp IF that is the reason. The double standard on this team is just awful. Z, Sill, Vitale, etc. all out perform Adams/Glass. Do they get waived because of it? Nope. If you don't think that type of stuff is noticed in a locker room, you are crazy.

It will never be said, but guys look around and notice it.

thanks. Maybe since you said it others will take note. Despres' camp was no worse than 15 or so people with guaranteed spots.

They don't like Despres. It's obvious. When you're not 'one of them' in this organization, it's an uphill battle. Despres is heading down Eric Tangradi Boulevard by way of Brian Strait Lane.

I know this board loves young players, but saying Despres is better than Nisky is nonsense. Money vs performance is an argument, but straight up, Niskanen is a better player right now. Period.

Despres' problem is he's a terrible starter. His camps have been bad since his first one, where he almost made the team right off the bat. Maybe had we kept him that first year things may have been different. Who knows. What I do know is he finishes strongly. By the end of the past two seasons, Despres has been better than Niskanen. But he's on the outs, and it's fairly obvious.

Can anybody explain to me how Noel also put Glass on his 3rd line if he is so awful?

You can't be serious with this stuff. Claude Noel? Really. What the hell has he ever done? Claude Julien, OK, but Claude Noel?

Do you really question Craig Adams work ethic?
That is the way sports is when it comes to vets and young players. Like it or lump it.

Sometimes, teams need to make unpopular (among the players, I mean) moves so that the team loses its comfort zone. Nobody who has some status with this organization feels any kind of pressure that they're going to lose their jobs. Training camp for THIS organization is just a bunch of veterans waiting around until the kids get sent down and the real season begins. Olli Maatta being the exception to that rule. But he's probably still here because of the Letang injury.

And, while there was massive competition for playing time for our playoff roster last year, we now have precious little depth (everywhere except defense). And even when we had all that depth last spring, it wasn't healthy competition (as apparently nobody was happy).

Management has created this situation, and it isn't going to get any better soon.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I know Claude Noel is not some great coach, but Glass is not a Bylsma pet player. A player who has stuck for 5 NHL seasons can't be completely useless. He has to bring something to the table.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I know Claude Noel is not some great coach, but Glass is not a Bylsma pet player. A player who has stuck for 5 NHL seasons can't be completely useless. He has to bring something to the table.

Well he sure as hell better bring it this season because he was beyond useless last year.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I understand that some people dislike Deryk Engelland because he is not as talented as some of the other prospects, but he is not an AHL-caliber defenseman. He was one of the only players that showed up during the Boston series. Do you know how many teams would love to have a bottom-pairing defenseman like Deryk Engelland? People criticize Deryk Engelland like he is a liability on the ice, which he isn't. It is rare to see a player with his fighting ability be able to play ten-to-fourteen minutes a game.

I am not stating that Deryk Engelland should play games over a defensemen like Robert Bortuzzo or Simon Despres. However, I have no problem with him playing as a depth-defenseman. He can be useful in games against tougher opponents.

Engelland takes a roster spot that should be reserved for young player like Despres that has an NHL upside. Then you have coach's pet Craig Adams who was finished as an NHL player 3 years ago. Take a look at Chicago or Boston you won't see players like Engelland or Adams taking spots from younger players with NHL upside. The Staleness of Bylsma's likes and prejudices is what is costing this franchise to throw away some of the best years of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Martin.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Well he sure as hell better bring it this season because he was beyond useless last year.

Agreed. My on real question on the decision making of this line-up is Joe Vitale. I can never figure out how he gets pulled out of the line-up. There must be a reason but it is not obvious.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
if despres is just down temporarily for cap reasons thats fine.

but if hes down for a significant period of time, while matt niskanen and his cap hit are still on this team earning ice time, then this is a perfect example of whats wrong with this organization.

niskanen has the heart and the upside of a potato. guy is a loser and wilts when the going gets tough.

despres is a young guy with upside. he NEEDS to play. didnt they learn anything from throwing him in the playoffs? the guy needs to get experience now. play the young guys damnit.

as i said, all will be well if this is just a brief salary cap thing.

While I'm not someone who would like to see Niskanen factor into long-term plans over someone like Despres, there's no basis for saying he lacks heart. He was the only defenseman to do anything right against philadelphia and he did so with one friggin arm.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
There would not be a single GM/Scout that would agree with you. Niskanen is a well rounded solid 4-5 defenseman. Despres is an inconsistent kid. Do I see things from Despres that Niskanen could never dream of doing? Absolutely, but he also makes mistakes that Niskanen would never ever make.

This seems like one of those things you throw out when you have absolutely no way to substantiate your claim.

You've talked to exactly 0 NHL GMs. You have no clue what an NHL GM would do.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Engelland takes a roster spot that should be reserved for young player like Despres that has an NHL upside. Then you have coach's pet Craig Adams who was finished as an NHL player 3 years ago. Take a look at Chicago or Boston you won't see players like Engelland or Adams taking spots from newer and younger players. The Staleness of Bylsma's likes and prejudices is what is costing this franchise to throw away some of the best years of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Martin.

Well. Adam McQuaid is somewhat similar to Deryk Engelland. Chicago had Jamal Mayers (similar to Adams) who played a decent amount of games for the Blackhawks, last season. Sheldon Brookbank is similar to Deryk Engelland as well.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I know this board loves young players, but saying Despres is better than Nisky is nonsense. Money vs performance is an argument, but straight up, Niskanen is a better player right now. Period.

There would not be a single GM/Scout that would agree with you. Niskanen is a well rounded solid 4-5 defenseman. Despres is an inconsistent kid. Do I see things from Despres that Niskanen could never dream of doing? Absolutely, but he also makes mistakes that Niskanen would never ever make.

Despres is a better player than Niskanen, money wise or not. You criticize Despres for inconsistency, but Niskanen has that same problem while having lower highs.

And I really don't know where you are getting the bolded from, Niskanen was absolutely cringe worthy in the playoffs this past year. Some mistakes were absolutely brutal.

Despres is better at pretty much every aspect of the game in addition to being younger and cheaper.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Niskanen is not anything you want on your defense for more than a temporary stopgap solution. Niskanen's lack of value is shown by the amount of teams in the NHL who have defensive problems but don't think Niskanen and his $2.2 million dollar cap hit will improve them on or off the ice. Niskanen only takes away minutes from Defenseman with bright NHL Futures.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I understand people would want to trade Niskanen, because of his cap hit and the pens depth at def, but i don't get the hate for Niskanen as a player, hes better then most teams # 5 or 6 def, and he would be in some bad teams top 4.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I hear what you're saying, but do you think they'd even consider demoting him if he had to pass through waivers? I'm sure everyone in that locker room understands the salary cap crunch that exists this season, and that's the main reason Despres isn't with the big club right now.

If we want to say Despres hasn't done enough to force management's hand to move Niskanen, that's fair. But I think all the Trib-fueled hand-wringing about Despres has kind of warped the perception of the situation.

I think the position I have to stand on is why are the other goofs on our 4th line guaranteed spots? Why is Nisky even guaranteed a spot? They have all equally played as bad. It's just a double standard that does not set a good tone in the locker room.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I think the position I have to stand on is why are the other goofs on our 4th line guaranteed spots? Why is Nisky even guaranteed a spot? They have all equally played as bad. It's just a double standard that does not set a good tone in the locker room.

You know I respect your opinions Cole, but do any of us really see the little things that coaches do in camp? I mean, we see the preseason games and maybe go to a couple practices, but do any of us really have the hockey IQ to make those kind of statements? I leave it up to the professionals and wins/loses will prove the staffs value.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Well. Adam McQuaid is somewhat similar to Deryk Engelland. Chicago had Jamal Mayers (similar to Adams) who played a decent amount of games for the Blackhawks, last season. Sheldon Brookbank is similar to Deryk Engelland as well.

McQuaid is an NHL player and proved it in the playoffs but Engelland's appearances have shown a guy who can't play at that level. Myers never played in the 2013 playoffs unlike the role Adams is gifted from this coaching staff. Brookbank also was never given gift playoff role in Chicago's march for the cup. Playing guys who can't help you when it comes to the playoffs all during the regular season just proves my point about the catastrophic lack of judgement that has been running this team for the last 4 seasons.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

There are players that last a lot longer than 5 seasons who get jettisoned from contending teams all the time. Contending teams consistently tinker with the bottom of their rosters, always searching for the right mix. The problem with our club is that management/coaches THINK we have the right mix on the fourth line. That's problematic.

Besides, what are we even holding out hope for Glass? Even his very best is not good enough for a championship-caliber club. We're basically just wasting time with him...and it's beyond frustrating.

Engelland takes a roster spot that should be reserved for young player like Despres that has an NHL upside. Then you have coach's pet Craig Adams who was finished as an NHL player 3 years ago. Take a look at Chicago or Boston you won't see players like Engelland or Adams taking spots from younger players with NHL upside. The Staleness of Bylsma's likes and prejudices is what is costing this franchise to throw away some of the best years of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Martin.

In theory I agree with you. But take away Engelland from this roster right now and you might as well change the Penguins' logo from the skating penguin to a bullseye.

We are damn soff.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
McQuaid is an NHL player and proved it in the playoffs but Engelland's appearances have shown a guy who can't play at that level. Myers never played in the 2013 playoffs unlike the role Adams is gifted from this coaching staff. Brookbank also was never given gift playoff role in Chicago's march for the cup. Playing guys who can't help you when it comes to the playoffs all during the regular season just proves my point about the catastrophic lack of judgement that has been running this team for the last 4 seasons.

What? Deryk Engelland was one of the better defensemen in the Boston series.

It is hard to compare Engelland to Brookbank when the Blackhawks have a bottom-pairing of Rozsival and Oduya.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You know I respect your opinions Cole, but do any of us really see the little things that coaches do in camp? I mean, we see the preseason games and maybe go to a couple practices, but do any of us really have the hockey IQ to make those kind of statements? I leave it up to the professionals and wins/loses will prove the staffs value.

You're basically saying you don't question anything because they're the professionals and we're the fans. Newsflash: some professionals don't know jack. Some fans know more than people employed on the inside.

I have no idea why anyone would want to participate on a message board if they don't want to question ANYTHING.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

I can't get behind this line of thought at all. This is essentially saying that any coach or GM can do absolutely no wrong just because they are a coach or GM.

There are a lot of educated fans out there with great opinions and ideas that may differ from what the 'professionals' say. It doesn't make the fans opinion wrong or not valuable.

Also wins and losses on this team don't really mean or show much about anyone's value outside of Sid and Geno. See: Fleury

Well, I do feel that a poll among scouts and gm's would come out that way. Can I prove it? No. Can anybody prove much of anything said on this board? Not much.

You can't make a blanket statement that every GM in the league would agree with you just because you feel that way.

I feel the complete opposite way. I think if you show a GM or scout two different players, they will choose the younger, cheaper one with more upside that also happens to be a better player.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
It's not that I don't question anything, I just refuse to question everything. This board has been really negative about everything.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Tbt..we didnt get swept by the bruins because of our 4th line and we wouldnt have beaten them with a different one. Sure its annoying seeing guys like Glass and Adams(at times) but its starts at the top and nobody would really care if the top lines were dominating and getting us to the cup.

Tbt.. this is why I was strongly against signing Letang. We could have gotten a huge return but didnt have the guts to do it. Theres no doubt he will continue to have an injury plagued career. Hes injury prone and will continue to have them. I speak from experience...train hard and the "right" way...perfect diet....yet still ****ing get the oddest injuries. Some peoples bodies are just built like **** no matter how in shape they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad