GDT: Despite what it looks like outside, we are not playing in Raleigh tonight, it’s in Chicago

hag65

Jan 14, 2021
Eye of the Hurricane
Its taken a long time to get a team that wins even when they don't play great. I used to get really peeved when we would watch the Pens or similar play for about 10 minutes in a game and still pull it out.

Nice to have a skilled team that can get away with it for a change. Not something to make a living at, but you need this to be a contender. You ain't gonna be able to play great all the time.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
The second game in a row where, within the first minute of OT, a defenseman gets possession of the puck in the offensive zone where a little pressure is applied and ... dumps it in. In the first case, in caused us to not regain possession until after a PP against, with about 45 seconds remaining. In the second, it wasn't regained until 2 minutes remained.

Gotta be smarter than that.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So unlike them.
Next thing you'll tell me is that Disney, for decades, reinforced the idea that a woman's existence is only validated once she finds a man who she can marry and have kids with.

But seriously, that trope was only broken when they released Frozen in 2013. As a father of now 2 daughters who has been relentlessly forcefed a parade of Disney Princess shit since the onslaught of Disney+, it's truly amazing how awful those movies are for a healthy sense of worth for young girls

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Next thing you'll tell me is that Disney, for decades, reinforced the idea that a woman's existence is only validated once she finds a man who she can marry and have kids with.

But seriously, that trope was only broken when they released Frozen in 2013. As a father of now 2 daughters who has been relentlessly forcefed a parade of Disney Princess shit since the onslaught of Disney+, it's truly amazing how awful those movies are for a healthy sense of worth for young girls
I love making fun of the messages the movies have. My wife rolls her eyes. We aren’t pushing “the dude can be ugly and rude as long as he has money” or “change yourself to be with a guy” or any of the other messages you can find if you really want to read into it. In the end it doesn’t really matter what subliminal message there is.

Reactions: DaveG

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
I've had both. Tavern's my personal favorite, in particular if sausage is involved, but the deep dish is delicious, as well. Lou Malnati's makes a particularly high-quality deep-dish. It's not so much a "tourist" pizza as it is a special occasion one if you invite a crowd of folks. You can't have too much of it/too frequently or else you'll be featured on My 600 Lb. Life.
Hawks fan in NC here.
Great game to watch. I don't mind seeing the Blackhawks lose this year considering everything, as long as they are competitive.
Good luck to the Canes this year, I would rather see them win it all then anyone else (since the Hawks are not going to be there).

As far as deep dish goes, there is a pretty good pizzeria in Raleigh that serves deep dish, Nancy's on Creedmoor Road. I have taken the family up there several times and really enjoyed it.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Hawks fan in NC here.
Great game to watch. I don't mind seeing the Blackhawks lose this year considering everything, as long as they are competitive.
Good luck to the Canes this year, I would rather see them win it all then anyone else (since the Hawks are not going to be there).

As far as deep dish goes, there is a pretty good pizzeria in Raleigh that serves deep dish, Nancy's on Creedmoor Road. I have taken the family up there several times and really enjoyed it.

I actually just went to Nancy's a month ago! I agree, that's about as good a deep dish as I've had outside of Lou Malnati's. The crust, in particular, was spot-on.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

90% of their stuff is lifted from stories from the 18th and 19th century so......yeah this checks out.

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
Hawks fan in NC here.

Thanks for the tip. I have always wanted to try a deep-dish pizza, but I have never been to Chicago.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Disney, Star Wars, Harry Potter... it's a pretty popular trope, you must admit.

Yeah, but in the animated Disney movies it's pretty rare... except for Bambi... and The Lion King... and Cinderella.. and I guess Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid as well. But not really anything recent since Finding Nemo... or Lilo & Stitch... or Onwards I suppose would qualify there.... Also, what the hell happened to Andy's Dad in Toy Story? Well at least UP doesn't count because the guy was already super old and it was his wife that died not a parent so that ones fine I guess.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Thanks for the tip. I have always wanted to try a deep-dish pizza, but I have never been to Chicago.
Nancy's is a chain. We have one here on the west side of ATL.
It is a good deep dish pizza. Just dont have a heart attack when your bill is 40+ dollars for one large deep dish. Each slice is a meal maybe more if you arent a big eater.

I know I cursed Nancy's when they told me the total after getting one. That pizza lasted as long, if not longer, than our normal 2-3 large pizza order.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Its really lovely this time of year :sarcasm:

For real though it's a cool city. Someone mentioned Lou Malnatis, if that's the place I'm thinking of (In Schaumburg, used to be a historic house I think), that was among the best damn pizza I've ever had. I had to laugh at all my NY friends who swore and still swear that NY pizza is God's gift to the world.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Its really lovely this time of year :sarcasm:

For real though it's a cool city. Someone mentioned Lou Malnatis, if that's the place I'm thinking of (In Schaumburg, used to be a historic house I think), that was among the best damn pizza I've ever had. I had to laugh at all my NY friends who swore and still swear that NY pizza is God's gift to the world.

I mentioned it lol. Probably my favorite pizzeria in Chicago outside of Vito and Nick's (Home | Vito & Nick's Pizzeria Chicago), which was covered in this video clip that I posted about sausage tavern pizza a few pages back. It's really the homemade sausage, at least IMO, that makes V&N's pizza the best in Chicago. This video actually instructs folks to make their own sausage blend from custom-ordered, coarsely-ground pork (either from a butcher or your Kitchen-Aid Grinder Attachment) to get it close to theirs instead of just buying it at a grocery store, which says a lot about the quality of this particular place.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Pretty much every bar in MI and WI had the same pizza when I was growing up. that type of Pizza was the only pizza we use to get when eating out, and always square cut. An occasional Pizza night or Friday fish fry at various bars was our big night out back then.

I had never heard the term tavern pizza until getting it in Chicago, but it was the same thing I had as a kid.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Pretty much every bar in MI and WI had the same pizza when I was growing up. that type of Pizza was the only pizza we use to get when eating out, and always square cut. An occasional Pizza night or Friday fish fry at various bars was our big night out back then.

I had never heard the term tavern pizza until getting it in Chicago, but it was the same thing I had as a kid.

Yeah, I've heard from others that the bar-cut thin-crust has become a Midwestern style in general, though it's roots generally are believed to have come from the South Side of Chicago. There's also a similar variety in the South Shore of Boston, though these ones are pan pizzas that have a characteristic "lace" edge to them.

Last edited:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I've really been impressed by Nečas since they started playing again. I don't know what Mama Nečas has been feeding him, but she needs to have the whole team over for supper. They'll be unstoppable.

(the second video has a windows notification sound. it's not you, it's the video)

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Speaking of pizza, I think that we should start calling Lilly's Pizza Raleigh-style pizza and make it a thing. I very much like that honey-wheat crust, and it's quite distinctive from any other pizza that I've tried. It's almost as if an artisanal bakery met a pizza shop and merged the two features into one dish. I'll need several test kitchen attempts on my own, but I think that if I pull it off, I might post the recipe somewhere.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Hawks fan in NC here.

I'll have to give that one a try. The only one i knew of in the area was Rosati's in Morrisville.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad