GDT: Despite what it looks like outside, we are not playing in Raleigh tonight, it’s in Chicago

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Speaking of pizza, I think that we should start calling Lilly's Pizza Raleigh-style pizza and make it a thing. I very much like that honey-wheat crust, and it's quite distinctive from any other pizza that I've tried. It's almost as if an artisanal bakery met a pizza shop and merged the two features into one dish. I'll need several test kitchen attempts on my own, but I think that if I pull it off, I might post the recipe somewhere.

I’ve lived in the Charlotte area for the past 15 or so years, but am originally from Rocky Mount. Lilly’s on Glenwood was a favorite stop on Canes’ game day trips. They do pepperoni and mushroom like no one else.

In 15yrs in Charlotte, I’ve yet to find Lilly’s equal. I did just recently discover an Iranian pizza joint (of all places-Athens Pizza) that comes somewhat close.

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
I've really been impressed by Nečas since they started playing again. I don't know what Mama Nečas has been feeding him, but she needs to have the whole team over for supper. They'll be unstoppable.

(the second video has a windows notification sound. it's not you, it's the video)

I have been saying this also. Every time he touches the puck he is looking to make a game changing play. His forechecking, backchecking and physicality have all picked up as well. His confidence seems through the roof since he was put on the PK. He is very intentional with the puck on his stick. His elite vision is starting to get some attention also.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Speaking of pizza, I think that we should start calling Lilly's Pizza Raleigh-style pizza and make it a thing. I very much like that honey-wheat crust, and it's quite distinctive from any other pizza that I've tried. It's almost as if an artisanal bakery met a pizza shop and merged the two features into one dish. I'll need several test kitchen attempts on my own, but I think that if I pull it off, I might post the recipe somewhere.

Does all Raleigh style pizza have cocaine dust in the crust?

(Note: this is a joke referring to a rumour from 25 years ago, so if you're gonna sue me, save it.)

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Well, living in Toronto I can say we have excellent pizza here but no specific style. We have a little bit of everything though. If you want heavy old school Greek, Napolitan, deep dish, Detroit, NYC there are great places making all that. Not sure about mid west thin crust though. Would love to have that again. Remember going to Chicago with my dad when I was 15 on a road trip and we caught a great jazz/blues show and had some thin crust pie that was almost like a cracker crust. Was absolutely delicious and yes, it was square cut.

Last edited:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I have been saying this also. Every time he touches the puck he is looking to make a game changing play. His forechecking, backchecking and physicality have all picked up as well. His confidence seems through the roof since he was put on the PK. He is very intentional with the puck on his stick. His elite vision is starting to get some attention also.
It was all those likes for his photo that pushed him to the top. j/k.

I think when the opportunity presented itself he seized upon it.. similar to the taxi squad...they had their opening at last.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Well, living in Toronto I can say we have excellent pizza here but no specific style. We have a little bit of everything though. If you want heavy old school Greek, Neapolitan, deep dish, Detroit, NYC there are great places making all that. Not sure about mid west thin crust though. Would love to have that again. Remember going to Chicago with my dad when I was 15 on a road trip and we caught a great jazz/blues show and had some thin crust pie that was almost like a cracker crust. Was absolutely delicious and yes, it was square cut.
Most big cities do a very good job at pizza. You can get great pizza in any style almost anywhere these days. But yeah, Toronto has very good options, you aren't missing out on much. They are actually probably a top 10 pizza city worldwide.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Wait, we’re in first place? :nod:

Yeah

Screenshot_20210203-194058_Samsung Internet.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
How we rank (clearly still small sample sizes so individual point/goal totals are misleading).

Canes top point scorer is tied for 87th in the NHL
Canes top goal scorer is tied for 15th in the NHL
Canes are 16th in GF/GP in the NHL
Canes are 2nd in Shots/GP in the NHL
Canes are 10th for PP% in the NHL
Canes are 3rd for PK% in the NHL
Canes are 1st in the NHL for GA/GP
Canes are 3rd for SA/GP in the NHL
Canes are 1st in the NHL for overall SV%
Canes are 1st in the NHL for GAA

Strong defense, good goaltending, strong special teams and 2 shoot out wins are the difference makers right now.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
How we rank (clearly still small sample sizes so individual point/goal totals are misleading).

Strong defense, good goaltending, strong special teams and 2 shoot out wins are the difference makers right now.

Most hilarious to me are the goaltending stats. Everybody in the mainstream hockey media were amazed that the FO didn't pull the trigger on any goaltending upgrades in the "greatest goalie market ever". Now, the Canes were apparently in on Markstrom, which would've been a legitimate upgrade, but Calgary ponied up the kind of dough that likely would've made it difficult to pursue the four lines-deep, St. Louis-style roster that our FO is clearly gunning for. I personally doubt that Arizona had any interest in dealing Kuemper, the one other legitimate upgrade that was purportedly available, during the year that they had to forfeit a 1st (without a ridiculous asset overpayment).

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

You’re not wrong but it’s a bit misleading to use raw point/goal totals against the rest of the league when some teams have played like twice the amount of games as the Canes.

Svech and Tro are on a 59 goal pace over the course of a regular season and would be point a game players as well. Jordo is pacing at 98 points for a regular season.

I agree with your reasoning as to why our record is what it is so far but the point and goal total stats aren’t really all that relevant the way that you presented them.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You’re not wrong but it’s a bit misleading to use raw point/goal totals against the rest of the league when some teams have played like twice the amount of games as the Canes..

Correct. It’s why I stated at the very top of the post:
(clearly still small sample sizes so individual point/goal totals are misleading)

Most of rest are /gp so it removes the issue of fewer games player

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Correct. It’s why I stated at the very top of the post:
(clearly still small sample sizes so individual point/goal totals are misleading)

Well I don’t see why you think I would read all the way through the first sentence but whatever you do you bro.

Edit: Small sample or not, in the effort of transparency you should have stated that the games played with the rest of the league weren’t equal and thus a fair comparison can’t be made. Ha! That’s almost a valid point on my part so there!

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
You’re not wrong but it’s a bit misleading to use raw point/goal totals against the rest of the league when some teams have played like twice the amount of games as the Canes.

Svech and Tro are on a 59 goal pace over the course of a regular season and would be point a game players as well. Jordo is pacing at 98 points for a regular season.

I agree with your reasoning as to why our record is what it is so far but the point and goal total stats aren’t really all that relevant the way that you presented them.

I think we can all agree that Jordan Staal will score 98 points this season. Didn't everybody have that in their offseason bingo card?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad