Post-Game Talk: Despite Eakins' attempts, the Oilers beat Tampa 3-2

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
when the defence looks as good as it did last night, I wonder what the heck the team was doing starting the season with Hunt, Nurse, and Klefbom on the roster and Marincin in the minors

#becauseEakins
#becauseOilers

also, love Draisaitl's talent but he's not getting it done...1 point and a -6...back to junior to dominate and mature

get a real NHL center MacT!

#Eakinshappened

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
If last nite was the team they are they will be fine. Really, minus the LA game, that's who they've been since the start, bit this time they got good goaltending and didn't give any 5 bell mistakes.

Now, since it's so obvious Marincin is one of their best defencemen, does Eakins get credit for correcting the mistake after only 4 games, or does he get blame for not fielding their best lineup till game 5 of the regular season (as opposed to game 7 of the preseason like you would expect for a team trying to get off to a good start)?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
All I'm going to say is that if I was a European player I would not want to be on the Oilers...
Marincin sent down to the AHL to start the season, Yakupov benched for no reason , Belov stating that he wasn't too fond of the coach (if I remember correctly). Did this guy go to the Don Cherry school of hockey?

Definitely something to that. Like Brad Hunt, really? That was just plan ridiculous. Cost them one game.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It seems to me that a lot of people are piling on Draisaitl for that tying goal, but to me that minus was a team effort...and the worst offender was David Perron's lazy clearing attempt that went directly to a Lightning player that ended up in our net not 5 seconds later. If that had been Yakupov, there would have been no end of people tearing into him for it.

Perron has NOT had a good start to this season, he needs to snap out of whatever funk he's in because he should be better than this.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If last nite was the team they are they will be fine. Really, minus the LA game, that's who they've been since the start, bit this time they got good goaltending and didn't give any 5 bell mistakes.

Now, since it's so obvious Marincin is one of their best defencemen, does Eakins get credit for correcting the mistake after only 4 games, or does he get blame for not fielding their best lineup till game 5 of the regular season (as opposed to game 7 of the preseason like you would expect for a team trying to get off to a good start)?

The latter. It's his god damn fault he didn't bother with remaining 2 preseason games to get cobwebs out of final roster. Instead he gave audition, "feel good" opportunities to bit players.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

I guess it depends on who you believe...when asked about callups from the farm during yesterday's pregame presser, Eakins stated directly that he doesn't have input on who gets sent to the farm and who gets called up, that's MacT's call.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Seriously?

People whining about Yakupov's ice team?

First time since 2007 (Lupul and Sykora additions) that we actually have decent forward depth..not enough ice time to go around kids.

Schwartz and Tarasenko, arguably better players than Yakupov at this point, are getting similar ice time.

Bash Eakins for a bunch of other things but he has SAVED Yakupov's career...remember this kid was ready to take his ball and go home last year.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I'd like him to bump our 4th line up a few minutes with the 3P's not doing much at all. 4th line has been the most consistent line since preseason and actually manages to pressure the other teams very effectively. I know they are the responsible defensive line but they're playing really well offensively imo for the type of minutes they get.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Bash Eakins for a bunch of other things but he has SAVED Yakupov's career...remember this kid was ready to take his ball and go home last year.

Wait what? Wasn't he going to take his ball and go home because of Eakins. I'm not following your logic here.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I wonder if Perron is 100% healthy right now. Maybe whatever that was ailing him in preseason is still bugging him right now.

Nuge played awesome last night, outplaying Stamkos head to head. In the last 2 games, he could have had a few more points if the Oilers had any puck luck. He looks stronger, faster, and even had a fight. RNH has me very excited again.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Seriously?

People whining about Yakupov's ice team?

First time since 2007 (Lupul and Sykora additions) that we actually have decent forward depth..not enough ice time to go around kids.

Schwartz and Tarasenko, arguably better players than Yakupov at this point, are getting similar ice time.

If you're seriously questioning fans on this board why we're mad at Yakupov's icetime, maybe you should find out why you're the minority.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I wonder if Perron is 100% healthy right now. Maybe whatever that was ailing him in preseason is still bugging him right now.

Nuge played awesome last night, outplaying Stamkos head to head. In the last 2 games, he could have had a few more points if the Oilers had any puck luck. He looks stronger, faster, and even had a fight. RNH has me very excited again.

Yeah I dont think he is 100% they said they were going to have to watch the hip for a while.

Eberle is another that is not 100% although Eakins said hes getting closer before yesterdays game, and I think we could tell last night. Looked like old Eberle.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

I just checked this.

Tarasenko: 13:15 ES, 2:47 PP
Schwartz: 13:04 ES, 1:46 PP
Yakupov: 10:49 ES, 1:56

So he's getting about 90 seconds less per game, which is actually pretty significant considering who the Oilers are giving more ice time to (ie - everyone except Joensuu)

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
If you're seriously questioning fans on this board why we're mad at Yakupov's icetime, maybe you should find out why you're the minority.

I'm not so sure he is the minority. Perhaps it's just the silent majority...as usual.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not so sure he is the minority. Perhaps it's just the silent majority...as usual.

No offense, but this is completely unproven. Whenever people don't want to admit they are in the minority they always break out this silent majority garbage.

Fans are justified to be pissed off at the brutal decision the coach is making. Especially when they often seem to negatively affect the same players all the time. Eakins flat out plays favourites. Suggesting that he doesn't and the"silent majority" of fans agree with that statement is hogwash.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yakupov should be getting the second most RW minutes on this team. Not only that, he's been one if the best forwards each game this season. He's looking even better then he did in his rookie season. Head on pace for a 40+ point season while getting half the ice time of the top line.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Yakupov is -5. Granted, Purcell and Perron are worse.

Let's not pretend like Yakupov has become an elite player over night. Eakins has brought him along slowly and he's showing progress.

Again, bash Eakins all you want...the guy has clearly gotten Yakupov to buy-in. Trust Dallas in his handling of Yak.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
I just checked this.

Tarasenko: 13:15 ES, 2:47 PP
Schwartz: 13:04 ES, 1:46 PP
Yakupov: 10:49 ES, 1:56

So he's getting about 90 seconds less per game, which is actually pretty significant considering who the Oilers are giving more ice time to (ie - everyone except Joensuu)

math

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Its noise.
It happens all the time on this board with so called 'injustices'. Its interesting to watch the gang mentality at work around here and the piling on that happens and dominates the board.

I find its better to work around it because this type of emotional over reaction isnt going away anytime soon.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Let's not pretend like Yakupov has become an elite player over night. Eakins has brought him along slowly and he's showing progress.

Again, bash Eakins all you want...the guy has clearly gotten Yakupov to buy-in. Trust Dallas in his handling of Yak.

Plus/Minus is pretty much a useless stat.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

To be fair Yak is improving but the outrage over 6 games of work is indeed ridiculous.

A much bigger body of work is required in my opinion but Yak is being handled properly. The evidence that supports that position is in his play....he is improving. These sheltered minutes are helping him.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
No offense, but this is completely unproven. Whenever people don't want to admit they are in the minority they always break out this silent majority garbage.

Fans are justified to be pissed off at the brutal decision the coach is making. Especially when they often seem to negatively affect the same players all the time. Eakins flat out plays favourites. Suggesting that he doesn't and the"silent majority" of fans agree with that statement is hogwash.

How is that any different than some poster saying a certain post is in the minority? How do you know 'they're in the minority' if it's unproven?
Just because not everyone is whining about Yak's icetime or staying silent doesn't necessarily mean it's one way or the other. That's why I said 'perhaps'..

Some fans are pissed off about the coach's decision..as per usual. Doesn't mean they're right.

I don't like many of Eakin's decisions. That doesn't mean I'm right or wrong as it's just an opinion.

In this case, Yak seems to be improving so I'm giving Dallas the benefit of the doubt. He was a plus last game and showed some good signs. I would think it's better to get his confidence up, keeping a plus number(after last year's disaster) and slowly increasing Yak's icetime based on a series of metrics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad