Pre-Game Talk: Desert Doggie Doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Man for 3 games into the season, Mike Smith sure took a lot of bumps. Not just last nights game. Our tire fire D better get their shit together fast. In any case, it'll be interesting to get another look at Skinner. Liked what I saw Pre-Season. If he can come in and be the real deal, it solves a lot of problems.

Glad we upgraded over Koskinen because we saw the chance of this happening.

oh wait…

Reactions: Aerchon

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah. I love the opportunity to see him in a game or two early in the season while we are sitting in a good spot. Planning for the upcoming offseason with the cap situation gets a whole lot easier if we are confident Skinner can give us 30+ games next year and the best way to find out is getting him into some games this year.
This is true but it is doubtful that Skinner would get starts. Maybe if Smith is gone for an extended time

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Man for 3 games into the season, Mike Smith sure took a lot of bumps. Not just last nights game. Our tire fire D better get their shit together fast. In any case, it'll be interesting to get another look at Skinner. Liked what I saw Pre-Season. If he can come in and be the real deal, it solves a lot of problems.

If Smith is out a week we’re lucky, looked like he took a skate to his leg,

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeh for sure. Just hoping it's not too expensive.
It all depends on how many teams with pending UFA goalies (or any goalie for sale) are bad.

Right now too many teams have hope. For instance, if Gibson was for sale before, he isnt now. The only teams selling would be Buffalo and Arizona. No thanks on those goalies

This is a deadline move, if at all

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That's why it hasn't happened yet. Holland hasnt made any panic trades since coming here, no reason to think he will now on a goalie
Let's hope. 3-5 game losing streaks on the back of bad goaltending can make a panicker out of the most experienced GMs lol.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It all depends on how many teams with pending UFA goalies (or any goalie for sale) are bad.

Right now too many teams have hope. For instance, if Gibson was for sale before, he isnt now. The only teams selling would be Buffalo and Arizona. No thanks on those goalies

That makes sense. So assuming that something becomes available it'd be for probably a struggling asset. So change of scenario type swap. Which means cheap, so I'm fine with that.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He didn't panic last season when we had to ride Koskinen for 10 games and basically went 3-7.

Knowing Smith was coming back soon though. It's only really a long term Smith injury plus Kosko bad that'd we'd really have to worry though.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He didn't panic last season when we had to ride Koskinen for 10 games and basically went 3-7.
I'm still a bit pissed by how we just tossed Forsberg away, and then traded assets for Stalock but way too late so we didnt use him

All to avoid putting guys like Lagesson on waivers. I like him but was he really going to emerge as more than bottom pairing? Besides, that year, with the covid rules, goalie depth was too important.

Reactions: yukoner88

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I'm still a bit pissed by how we just tossed Forsberg away, and then traded assets for Stalock but way too late so we didnt use him

All to avoid putting guys like Lagesson on waivers. I like him but was he really going to emerge as more than bottom pairing? Besides, that year, with the covid rules, goalie depth was too important.

Stalock was claimed off of waivers

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Not defending the GM but the options available this summer like Grubauer (.867) don't seem to play well so far. The sample size is small though. The stats will likely be better by the end of the season.

And the big ticket option the year before was Markstrom, who’s been doodoo on the Flames.

The only options I didn’t mind were Dreidger (cheap test drive type) and Kuemper (legit starter but injury histories). The price for Kuemper was way too high

North

Jun 25, 2009
And the big ticket option the year before was Markstrom, who’s been doodoo on the Flames.

The only options I didn’t mind were Dreidger (cheap test drive type) and Kuemper (legit starter but injury histories). The price for Kuemper was way too high

Funny enough, it’s early days but Kuemper looks awful with Colorado (on a side note Grubauer hasn’t looked great on Seattle).

I’m sure they’ll turn it around with time but as the saying goes: Goalies are voodoo.

North

Jun 25, 2009

As @Oilhawks pointed out, Stalock was a waiver claim. So you don’t have to be pissed about wasted assets.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Funny enough, it’s early days but Kuemper looks awful with Colorado (on a side note Grubauer hasn’t looked great on Seattle).

I’m sure they’ll turn it around with time but as the saying goes: Goalies are voodoo.

Goaltending is a tough one. It’s nice to go for the high-priced, proven option but this seems to backfire more often than any high-priced, proven skater. Not to mentioned it’s a lot harder to hide a boat anchor goalie than a forward or D

In theory, finding a Talbot, Koskinen (without the overpay extension), etc is the way to go. That’s why I liked Dreidger.

At least if those guys suck they are much easier to handle than a guy commanding $5M+

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Goaltending id always tough. You need to play good solid team Defence and your goalie will not have to be superman. It is that simple.

You have the rare 1 or 2 goalies who can make multiple game breaking saves every game, but Hasek couldn't even perform if he were put on a team with garbage D and D awareness.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012

Well I mean let’s just see how the Arizona rookie is before making any assumptions. Could be lights out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad