Describe the broadcaster for your team

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I remember one year our provider and MSG weren't getting along too well so I had to watch like half the Rangers season on streams. So I had like 2 or 3 games against the Bruins where I ended up with Edwards.

Listening to him as an opposing fan, I actually quite enjoyed Edwards. I mean he puts on a show with his bias but he works for the Bruins and he has to be entertaining. On the other hand, he was actually really knowledgeable about the Rangers and got excited when they did something, which is big for me. An announcer sounding like somebody shot his dog when the other team scores is the worst.

So Edwards gets my seal of approval.

And believe me, there's a whole collection of announcers I had to mute that year so as to not smash my computer.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Rick Ball: Not bad
Kelly Hrudey: Should be made to wear the bandana on-air.

Derek Wills: he's okay
Peter Loubardias: he's...sometimes pretty good

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Joe Beninati: Has 100 different ways to describe the same way, only to end with his famous "SCOOOAAARR" on every Capitals goal. Gives a lot of praise to the opposition's top player usually, even goes out of his way to do so.

Craig Laughlin: Locker the homer, and his annoying voice. He makes me laugh when he ridiculously exaggerates all the positive things that Caps players do. Otherwise, he ruins Joe B's work, except when they make jokes on each other.

I have to be honest with so many people not liking their teams' announcer, I'm surprised how much Joe Beninati is loved by the Caps. I'm so glad he doesn't do NBCSN games anymore (or did he finish with vs.). He was like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Anyway,

Sam Rosen- He seems like a really nice guy, almost overly nice. Has a soothing voice to me. Like I think on my death bed to calm my nerves I'll listen to a Sam Rosen game from (hopefully) many years in the past.

Joe Micheletti- I don't hate him but it's just that no Ranger can ever do anything wrong. He'll defend Tanner Glass and Dan Girardi to his death. Sometimes it's very lonely being a Rangers fan wondering whether we lost our minds or AV and no one challenges him from our beat writers when it comes to Tanner Glass and Dan Girardi. Joe adds to that when he praises Tanner Glass and Dan Girardi.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I remember one year our provider and MSG weren't getting along too well so I had to watch like half the Rangers season on streams. So I had like 2 or 3 games against the Bruins where I ended up with Edwards.

Listening to him as an opposing fan, I actually quite enjoyed Edwards. I mean he puts on a show with his bias but he works for the Bruins and he has to be entertaining. On the other hand, he was actually really knowledgeable about the Rangers and got excited when they did something, which is big for me. An announcer sounding like somebody shot his dog when the other team scores is the worst.

So Edwards gets my seal of approval.

And believe me, there's a whole collection of announcers I had to mute that year so as to not smash my computer.

If you have a guy that's biased at least have a guy that's as over the top biased and entertaining as Jack Edwards. I love Sam, but I feel like he's a bit too vanilla sometimes not to offend anyone. A bit too corporate.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
John Forslund: One of the best play by play guys in the league. The intensity of his call matches the play very well, and he anticipates plays well as they develop, so his call is always close to simultaneous to the events as they unfold on the ice. Not a particularly flashy call, but very strong on the the fundamentals of broadcasting. The Canes are blessed to have him.

Tripp Tracy: He's better than he used to be.

Chuck Kaiton (radio): I don't get to listen to him much, but he's got a Foster Hewitt award for a reason. The only solo broadcaster left in the league, and it's always amazing to hear him weave color into his play by play seamlessly. It's amazing that he finds places to take a breath while calling a game.

honkerhitter

Feb 27, 2016
Edmonton Radio guys: Jack & Bob

Jack he's always lining them up from left to right?))? It's radio jack that means nothin to me.. Lol
Bob: he likes his out of the blue statistics ?? Hey Jack did you know Eric Carlsons grand dad won the giant igloo building contest in 1962 ??
" well no Bob I wasn't aware of that, the oilers lining up from left to right,"
It's true and Tim Hortons brother inlaw came in second!!
Usually every game you get a tid bit of useless info..
But when I'm at work I got no choice but to listen on Tunein radio!!

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Edmonton Radio guys: Jack & Bob

Jack he's always lining them up from left to right?))? It's radio jack that means nothin to me.. Lol
Bob: he likes his out of the blue statistics ?? Hey Jack did you know Eric Carlsons grand dad won the giant igloo building contest in 1962 ??
" well no Bob I wasn't aware of that, the oilers lining up from left to right,"
It's true and Tim Hortons brother inlaw came in second!!
Usually every game you get a tid bit of useless info..
But when I'm at work I got no choice but to listen on Tunein radio!!

Who dis?

TheOriginalJez

Oct 24, 2014
A box under a bridge
Nashville

Daunic: Improving robot who is a local sports talk host/former baseball player by trade.
Stu Grimson: Blabbering lover of all things 4th line.

I don't mind Daunic too much, just be glad Brent didn't switch to TV with him. Lovely guy but sometimes it's really hard to figure out a word he's saying. He could be espousing on the mating habits of outer mongolian wombats for all I know half the time.

I'm usually at work during games so the last few seasons I've listened to most on the radio, so I've had Willy in my ears for years... takes some getting used to but not a terrible experience. :naughty:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I don't even know the main guy for the leafs.....so I will list a few names:

Paul Romanuk: Between his long pauses between play calling and his overused sayings of "steady as she goes" and "that was the play", he is.....mediocre. Maybe because I will always associate his voice with the Spengler Cup, which is a joke on its own. However I do love when his tone escalates for a scoring chance "ohh SHOOTING!"

Greg Millen: Obsessed with goalies. Demands too much from his replay crew.

Jim Hughson: Fine, though sometimes the game becomes secondary as he dives deep into a discussion with his colour commentator.

Craig Simpson: He is the aforementioned colour commentator.
I feel like Hughson has a passion for being a colour commentator/analyst as well as a PBP guy so he gets too caught up with talking about line matchups, a player's abilities, etc.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don't even know the main guy for the leafs.....so I will list a few names:

Paul Romanuk: Between his long pauses between play calling and his overused sayings of "steady as she goes" and "that was the play", he is.....mediocre. Maybe because I will always associate his voice with the Spengler Cup, which is a joke on its own. However I do love when his tone escalates for a scoring chance "ohh SHOOTING!"

Greg Millen: Obsessed with goalies. Demands too much from his replay crew.

Jim Hughson: Fine, though sometimes the game becomes secondary as he dives deep into a discussion with his colour commentator.

Craig Simpson: He is the aforementioned colour commentator.

Romanuk is like the hockey phrase of having the tools but no toolbox. He has a fantastic voice, but doesn't use it right/say right things. Romanuk probably would be better with someone other than Millen. Millen is like Healy, but less abnoxious...still talks like he knows everything about hockey though. I'd rather a guy like Mike Johnson... more recent former player, has some youthful energy, looks good on camera, talks positively without coming off as a know it all.

when a play by play guy makes a mistake..why doesn't the color guy correct him? I'm guessing it's probably an unwritten rule of broadcasting, but I'd prefer it...make ir seem less scripted/robotic . Hey Bob that was subban not josi... get it right. Get some friendly banter going.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
Anthony LaPanta- Best pxp is the biz
Mike Greenlay- Best color guy in the biz.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Rick Ball (PBP): Solid voice, decently sassy, good but unspectacular verbiage. 8/10

Kelly Hrudy (colour): Good timing, reasonably intelligent, moderate Flames homer, but entertainment factor is pretty average. 7/10

Rick Ball: Not bad
Kelly Hrudey: Should be made to wear the bandana on-air.

Derek Wills: he's okay
Peter Loubardias: he's...sometimes pretty good

I like Loubo a lot. Ball is great, but it's hard to beat Loubo's enthusiasm for the game, and his grating voice has grown on me over time to become endearing. Also extremely knowledgeable. Can't pronounce a name properly to save his life though.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Sam Rosen got prescribed a healthy dose of Vicodin several years ago and never looked back.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
John Kelly: Factually intelligent, but awkward and raises his voice at random times

Darren Pang: never shuts up, will gush about any player who is 5'10'' or under

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Steve Cangialosi: eh he's ok, kinda boring

Ken Daneyko: he called Devante Smith-Pelley as Devante Smelly-Pith the other night. Should explain it well enough.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
Jets. Beyak mixes up players, has fascination with random stats (so and so is playing his 842 game), boring as hell.
Hnidy, a little shilly but knowledgeable, could be really good with better pbp guy.

I completely agree. Hnidy is solid, but Beyak takes the life out of the game. I look forward to Saturday nights when Sportsnet takes over, unless it's Romanuk is calling the game. I cannot comprehend his appeal

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
John Forslund: One of the best play by play guys in the league. The intensity of his call matches the play very well, and he anticipates plays well as they develop, so his call is always close to simultaneous to the events as they unfold on the ice. Not a particularly flashy call, but very strong on the the fundamentals of broadcasting. The Canes are blessed to have him.

Tripp Tracy: He's better than he used to be.

Chuck Kaiton (radio): I don't get to listen to him much, but he's got a Foster Hewitt award for a reason. The only solo broadcaster left in the league, and it's always amazing to hear him weave color into his play by play seamlessly. It's amazing that he finds places to take a breath while calling a game.

:laugh: That is about the best you can say about Tripp. He's also enthusiastic about the game and has sort of a youthful exuberance about it. How useful some of his commentary is, especially when he gets into some tangent about a player's parents or food, is another story.

And concur on Forslund and Kaiton. We're blessed to have both of those guys and I just rue the thought that we'll eventually lose Forslund to NBCSN.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Pat Foley: Oft drunk, Easily goes on tangents nowadays, sometimes messes up players names, but when he's on he's on. Bonus points for the aforelinked Karpotzev rant.

Eddie Olczyk: Has an unnatural fetish for soft serve and happy humans. Takes Foley on tangents too much. When going national overcompensates for homer bias. Definitely knowledgeable and like Foley, when he's on he's on.

John Weiderman: Epitome of what a radio PbP guys should be. Paints a picture and the action is easy to follow with him calling it. Some knock him for being boring but because he paints a picture of what's actualy going on the ice he has little time for the schtick that Pat & Eddie are famous for.

Troy Murray: Knowledgeable color commentator and works well with Weiderman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad