Player Discussion Derrick Pouliot, Pt. II: Will not be qualified (again)

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Another low-minute game. There's no point of having him on the roster anymore. We need someone that can play 15 minutes a game and can maybe soak up some PK minutes.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Why don't they just waive him? he's not even apart of the long term plans and it's not a big deal if he boosts the AHL team. Gagner had a way bigger caphit and got sent packing.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Why don't they just waive him? he's not even apart of the long term plans and it's not a big deal if he boosts the AHL team. Gagner had a way bigger caphit and got sent packing.

If you haven't noticed, Pouliot has been in the lineup and played in tonight's game. The Canucks are also only carrying 7 Dmen. Teams don't generally waive a player who has been in the lineup. Now if Hughes turned pro and the Canucks want him on the roster to finish the season then waiving Pouliot may be a distinct possibility.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
If you haven't noticed, Pouliot has been in the lineup and played in tonight's game. The Canucks are also only carrying 7 Dmen. Teams don't generally waive a player who has been in the lineup. Now if Hughes turned pro and the Canucks want him on the roster to finish the season then waiving Pouliot may be a distinct possibility.
Teams don't generally have a Pouliot on their NHL rosters.

Reactions: Hit the post

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Teams don't generally have a Pouliot on their NHL rosters.

Maybe it's just us then. Plenty of Dmen have spent a full year on the Canucks roster only to be out of the NHL when they leave the Canucks. Ryan Stanton spent two years here and some here thought he was an NHL calibre #5 Dman. He was out of the NHL after leaving the Canucks.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
That would have been easier done before they traded Del Zotto. They sort of cleared Del Zotto out of the way to give the spot to Pouliot seemingly.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Uh, yes.

It’s the fact that these two players are playing that everyone is complaining about.

We’re dressing two AHL-level defenders every night while a better player is scratched, we just traded another better away for nothing, and better players are available on waivers.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Uh, yes.

It’s the fact that these two players are playing that everyone is complaining about.

We’re dressing two AHL-level defenders every night while a better player is scratched, we just traded another better away for nothing, and better players are available on waivers.

Also, they re-signed both of these players, so it’s not as if they just came with the building.

Reactions: timw33 and MS

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Maybe it's just us then. Plenty of Dmen have spent a full year on the Canucks roster only to be out of the NHL when they leave the Canucks. Ryan Stanton spent two years here and some here thought he was an NHL calibre #5 Dman. He was out of the NHL after leaving the Canucks.
There's a difference at being a #5 on that roster (where we had Hamhuis, Tanev, Edler, Bieksa, Garrison ahead of him) and being a #5 (where we have an older Edler, Tanev, Hutton, and anybody else with a pulse) on this roster. The second year, you have a stronger point.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011

I'll have to agree with that. For what ever reason, historically we have been absolutely terrible relative to other organizations in evaluating defenders. I think it's a major reason why we have never had a true #1 elite defender in our organization.

Pouliot is just another name in a very long list.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pretty obvious Pouliot is just a placeholder until Quinn Hughes arrives. Then it's likely pressbox duty until his contract runs out at the end of the year.

Granted the last couple of games have been some of Pouliot's worst, but saddling him with Guddy isn't helping. Green must see something in this pairing, but for the life of me I can't see what it can possibly be.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'll have to agree with that. For what ever reason, historically we have been absolutely terrible relative to other organizations in evaluating defenders. I think it's a major reason why we have never had a true #1 elite defender in our organization.

Pouliot is just another name in a very long list.
Ohlund at his peak was as good a #2 as you're going to get.

Pouliot couldn't even carry #4 Bryan Allen's jockstrap.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Pretty obvious Pouliot is just a placeholder until Quinn Hughes arrives. Then it's likely pressbox duty until his contract runs out at the end of the year.

Granted the last couple of games have been some of Pouliot's worst, but saddling him with Guddy isn't helping. Green must see something in this pairing, but for the life of me I can't see what it can possibly be.

You say that but I didn't actually think we would re-sign him the first time.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Not getting my hopes up yet.

They didn't qualify him last year either and still ended up re-signing him with a significant raise.

Reactions: lindgren

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This was basically the most obvious move on the list since he's clearly terrible, but I hadn't put it past our management to bring him back due to their veteran separation anxiety. So it's good to see.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

thank god

definitely the right decision for the canucks.

it will be interesting to see if he can find a niche where he can be paired with veteran dman and grow and survive or if he is done. i thought this year he did ok, just not enough to give any hope he could turn a corner on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad