Player Discussion Derrick Pouliot, Pt. II: Will not be qualified (again)

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Not getting my hopes up yet.

They didn't qualify him last year either and still ended up re-signing him with a significant raise.

last year the decision not to qualify was reported at the last minute along with hints a deal could yet get done.

this year they are way out in front. and i don't think the fresh start stuff in the tweet is speculation, but rather what pouliot has been told. dhaliwal seems to get these stories from agents.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Don't know why, but always found myself kind of pulling for Pouliot to succeed. He'd play decently for five or six games, then the wheels would completely fall off the wagon. And obviously down the stretch, Green had seen enough.

Posters complain a lot about Juolevi, but Pouliot was an eighth overall pick who busted hard in Pittsburgh, and playing on the blueline for a team like the Canucks, isn't going to do much for your confidence. But just proves how hard it is to project junior d-man at the NHL-level.

Hopefully the guy can sign a two-way deal with somebody and possibly work his way back up.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I never hated him QUITE as much as some of the forum (and certainly not as much as other bad defencemen we've had over the years),but when you finish bottom 10 for the fourth straight year there should absolutely be roster turnover all around and there hasn't been nearly enough of that under this regime.

Good news.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
I predict DP will be signed a bit cheaper by another team and go onto seeing moderate success with that team. Canucks have been pissing me off lately. Pouliot for a 4th and Pedan was a win for us. Now it's nothing. I know he wasn't well liked around here, but I never bought that hate was deserved for one second.

Go DP! Prove Canucks wrong!

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I predict DP will be signed a bit cheaper by another team and go onto seeing moderate success with that team. Canucks have been pissing me off lately. Pouliot for a 4th and Pedan was a win for us. Now it's nothing. I know he wasn't well liked around here, but I never bought that hate was deserved for one second.

Lol

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Granlund next pls
They may try to do with Granny what they did with Pouliot last year. Not qualify him and try to get him signed for less.

$1.4 is high for what he has done.

They gave Pouliot 2 full seasons and he never brought his game up. One to move on.

May 31, 2006

If by “another team” you mean a team in Europe, then yes I agree. He is the ideal player for that level.

Reactions: Hit the post

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I didn’t think they’d have the balls. Well done for actually realizing a mistake.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
definitely the right decision for the canucks.

it will be interesting to see if he can find a niche where he can be paired with veteran dman and grow and survive or if he is done. i thought this year he did ok, just not enough to give any hope he could turn a corner on this team.
Team needs those vet D with guys with a future (like Hughes) on the team. We don’t have enough of those types (at least good ones) for a reclamation project. Especially if Juolevi can also somehow make the roster. Schenn can occupy that #7 spot (will help provide a little vinegar to the blueline as well)

member 290103

Remember when people praised Benning for this trade and called it a win for him? :laugh:

Bye Felicia.

I am perplexed as to how master talent evaluator, Jim Benning, could be so wrong on this player. Ok, ok, I won't make this thread about Benning's shortcomings. That's being discussed in every other thread on this team forum.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Thank GOD. Go far, far away from this team, Pouliot. Well, maybe not that far. Edmonton would be great.

That's a funny way to spell: "I have no idea what I'm seeing when I watch hockey!"

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

What role does he have on this team anymore? Hughes just took his PP time. So what is he, a bad ES player that can't PK well? He doesn't have a purprose any more. The only reason to bring him back at this point is to make him the 9/10 depth in the AHL on a cheap 2-way deal.

Looking around you can see losing him matters little, better players than him can be had for dirt cheap every year. His competition is players like Y Weber at $675K.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I didn’t think they’d have the balls. Well done for actually realizing a mistake.

You don’t get a ‘well done’ from me for finally releasing a bad player who should never have been acquired in the first place and was then somehow re-signed to a big raise after his first awful season here.

Ironic thing is that the best he ever played as a Canuck were the last 10 games before he was parked late in last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad