Player Discussion Derrick Pouliot, Pt. II: Will not be qualified (again)

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
He made the most out of his draft pedigree. I see him as an AHL/NHL tweener like Taylor Fedun or Adam Clendening.

He did have some games where you thought he would take a step forward and be a good bottom pairing option but he just reacts too slow. He did have that one great fight protecting Stecher I think?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
definitely the right decision for the canucks.

it will be interesting to see if he can find a niche where he can be paired with veteran dman and grow and survive or if he is done. i thought this year he did ok, just not enough to give any hope he could turn a corner on this team.

Pouliot is a veteran defenseman.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Cool. Thanks for potting the OT winner in the 7 - 6 Colorado game, which will probably stand as the single best game of this particular epoch of Canucks history.

Now politely GTFO.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
You don’t get a ‘well done’ from me for finally releasing a bad player who should never have been acquired in the first place and was then somehow re-signed to a big raise after his first awful season here.

Ironic thing is that the best he ever played as a Canuck were the last 10 games before he was parked late in last season.

Oh I 100% agree with you, I just expected them to do the stupid thing.

Reactions: MS

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
My God Poo was terrible. Really stank. The only positive was the way he contributed for tank enthusiasts.

Green gave him every chance (some would say too many chances) to prove he belonged. Have to think that this was mandated by upper management desperate to prove they had done something half way right.

Just another deal that where Benning got hosed b/c of a lack of due diligence and his attempt to short cut a needed rebuild.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
My God Poo was terrible. Really stank. The only positive was the way he contributed for tank enthusiasts.

Green gave him every chance (some would say too many chances) to prove he belonged. Have to think that this was mandated by upper management desperate to prove they had done something half way right.

Just another deal that where Benning got hosed b/c of a lack of due diligence and his attempt to short cut a needed rebuild.
I wonder why people defend someone who has one of the poorest track records in pro scouting. I wonder if he is the scout savant some people want us to believe. How can someone be so bad at pro scouting and good at amateur scouting? Maybe because he leans on other people in amateur scouting...

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
It is really terrifying how long it takes management to come to the easiest conclusions. Took them almost 3 years to figure out Gudbranson is terrible while it was obvious from day one. 2 seasons of Pouliot, 2 years of Linden Vey and Megna, wonder how long it takes them for Granlund, Sutter and all the other guys that should be long gone (or never acquired in the first place).

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I went to the last Pens pre-season game in 2017 (against the Sabres). Listening to some pre-game the talk was how Pouliot needed to really show something or he was very likely to be waived.

He was, umm, not good. I thought to myself “I pity the team that takes him off waivers because he’s not even worth taking for ‘free’”.

Then Benning traded a pick for him. And if that wasn’t enough Benning extended him! Good riddance. Have fun in Europe.

What I wouldn’t give for a GM who (a) doesn’t make the mistake in the first place and (b) if a mistake is made doesn’t double down with contract extensions etc.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
A 4th round pick is just a shot in the dark. It wasn't like the trade cost anything.

Had DP turned into a NHL top4 D under his Junior coach where he had success, it would have been a great thing.

So much over reacting.

Had OJ been healthy, DP probably wouldn't have been playing last year for Canucks.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
A 4th round pick is just a shot in the dark. It wasn't like the trade cost anything.

They also traded Pedan for him who was acquired for a 3rd before. Its not like Pouliot cost nothing, trying to spin it this way is just dishonest. While taking calculated risks does make sense here in there, trading picks away for failed prospects is not really a smart option. Those picks likely will never turn out to be something useful but they may as well ending up being a Madden and a Gaudette - but hey Pouliot didnt cost anything.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
They also traded Pedan for him who was acquired for a 3rd before. Its not like Pouliot cost nothing, trying to spin it this way is just dishonest. While taking calculated risks does make sense here in there, trading picks away for failed prospects is not really a smart option. Those picks likely will never turn out to be something useful but they may as well ending up being a Madden and a Gaudette - but hey Pouliot didnt cost anything.
Gilligan flipped a similar failed D (Diaz) for an greater shot in the dark - a fifth round pick. That pick turned out to be Gaudette that Benning drafted.

This guy ONLY strength is drafting but has this great aversion to acquiring more picks but less so in dealing them for reclamation projects (and we all know how good the pro scouting is on the team).

Still, I can overlook this trade if they cut their losses much sooner. Like Pizza, it should’ve been obvious this guy doesn’t belong in the top six even on a bad team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'm not sure about that. Juolevi is having trouble handling AHL forwards; imagine him against NHL forwards.

Sorry yeah, Juolevi is tracking similar to Pouliot in his limited AHL minutes. I'd imagine if he continues along the current trajectory he will top out around Pouliot's current level.

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad