Dermott's Future With Toronto

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Dermott is an absolute stud. He's going to be a rock on the 2nd pairing for us for a long time, and given that his value isn't fully captured in his point totals, he'll always be on a bargain contract. Ideally he pushes Ceci to the third pair once he comes back (I doubt this happens), but in any case, he'll be a fixture on the backend next year.

Rielly-Dermott
Sandin-Barrie
Kivihalme?-Liljegren

Reactions: stickty111

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If Dermott struggles on the right side, but is good on the left side... and Sandin passes him by... so be it. You still sign Dermott and have a cheap second pairing D in Sandin... then you worry about it from there... if Dermott needs to be traded, to fill in holes in other places, that's fine.
I agree with pretty much all this and just wanted to spur some conversation about Dermott as he hasnt been talked about much lately on these boards and is in the midst of an extremely important year.

A lot will depend on how Ceci performs honestly as I think Barrie is pretty much a lock to resign and it will be an increase of at least 5+ million (only counts for 2.75 currently). If Dermott cant play the right side and Ceci isnt resigned they will have to spend some cap to get a top 4 RD. It is a very tricky situation with Andy's and Rielly's contract looming on the horizon.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I think Barrie will get resigned and that is a bunch of cap as he only counted like 2.75 million against the cap. Muzzin may walk but they may also want to keep the only physical defensive defender on the team. Ceci is still up in the air as well.

It has nothing to do with not being able to fathom the thought it has to do with not being able to afford 2-3 million dollar defenders (like Dermott likely will be) on the third pairing.

Let's say they can keep Barrie. Lose Muzzin and Ceci.

Rielly, Barrie, Sandin......??

He's not going anywhere.

For sake of discussion, let's say it is foolish to give Dermott 3 mil just to be on the third pairing (he would get RHD first though)

But then it's more foolish to trade him when you have 3 spots to fill on D.

Your concern will become more realistic if Liljegren meets his potential.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'd trade third liners to sign Dermott and one of, it not 2 of the UFA guys.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I disagree about your concern. Lets say hypothetically he struggles on the right side and we bring back Muzzin - he still likely becomes our PP Qb for unit 2 and he also does PK. Combine lots of special teams time with occasional moving up in the lineup than its fine if he starts on the 3rd pairing.

But lets give him a chance.

Also, if you get a chance to play with Rielly, I feel like Morgan's movement means you will be less fixed to your side.
In this Hypothetical is Barrie not resigned? As I doubt Dermott gets any PP time with Barrie and Rielly on the team.

I dont see any chance of him playing with Rielly this year if Babcock is coach so it would be a huge risk to sign him to a contract with the plan on penciling him into the top pairing on his offside.

I completely fine with giving him a chance, the problem is he likely doesnt get it because of started the season injuried and the leafs left side being incredibly stacked.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
In this Hypothetical is Barrie not resigned? As I doubt Dermott gets any PP time with Barrie and Rielly on the team.

I dont see any chance of him playing with Rielly this year if Babcock is coach so it would be a huge risk to sign him to a contract with the plan on penciling him into the top pairing on his offside.

I completely fine with giving him a chance, the problem is he likely doesnt get it because of started the season injuried and the leafs left side being incredibly stacked.

1) This is assuming Barrie is not resigned. We can only afford one of Barrie or Muzzin (IF even that). If we re-sign Barrie, than guaranteed Dermott anchors our no 2 pair (likely with Barrie)

2) I think Mike could try Dermott with Rielly IF Ceci struggles. Ceci is not Hunwick or Hainsey who will stayed glued to Riles

3) Let see what happens. My main point is: if Dermott plays like we know he can, we will find a spot for him that will help this club

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Let's say they can keep Barrie. Lose Muzzin and Ceci.

Rielly, Barrie, Sandin......??

He's not going anywhere.

For sake of discussion, let's say it is foolish to give Dermott 3 mil just to be on the third pairing (he would get RHD first though)

But then it's more foolish to trade him when you have 3 spots to fill on D.

Your concern will become more realistic if Liljegren meets his potential.
The premise of the thread is if Dermott struggles to play the right side (like he has previously) what happens to him long term.

Who do you have playing with Rielly if Ceci walks? Resigning Barrie + Dermott will be an net increase of like 7+ million at the very least. Where does the cap come to sign another top 4 RD to play with Rielly?

Dont get me wrong, I like Dermott and have been a huge fan and advocate of his for a few years. However if he struggles to play the right side and Sandin passes him on the depth chart his long term spot on this team may be in jeopardy.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Dermott is an absolute stud. He's going to be a rock on the 2nd pairing for us for a long time, and given that his value isn't fully captured in his point totals, he'll always be on a bargain contract. Ideally he pushes Ceci to the third pair once he comes back (I doubt this happens), but in any case, he'll be a fixture on the backend next year.

Rielly-Dermott
Sandin-Barrie
Kivihalme?-Liljegren
Premise of the thread is what happens if he struggles on the right side and honestly putting him in top 4 usage for the first time (even worse top pairing usage) on his offside is setting him up to fail.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
1) This is assuming Barrie is not resigned. We can only afford one of Barrie or Muzzin (IF even that). If we re-sign Barrie, than guaranteed Dermott anchors our no 2 pair (likely with Barrie)

2) I think Mike could try Dermott with Rielly IF Ceci struggles. Ceci is not Hunwick or Hainsey who will stayed glued to Riles

3) Let see what happens. My main point is: if Dermott plays like we know he can, we will find a spot for him that will help this club
Ya I think Barrie is resigned with Dermott playing that 2nd pairing spot with him. However if Sandin plays way better than Dermott this year then the leafs have to make some long term decisions.

Ya I guess I agree to disagree about that, I dont think Babcock will put Dermott with Rielly this season at all barring any injuries.

Wait and see is definitely the right choice, I just think that Dermott has a huge year ahead of him and it would really help his future as a leaf if he can play the right side

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Demott is the kind of guy you keep. He also won't cost the team much money and fits well with the defensive core.
I agree, he has a spot for the next 2/3 years but after that (when Sandin/Rielly and likely Dermott needs a new contract too) he may be moved depending on if he or Sandin can play on the right side, expansion draft etc.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Re-sign Barrie and go with Rielly, Barrie, Dermott and Sandin long term. Tonnes of offensive/skating ability...then sign a couple of muckers to PK and fill out the top six.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
My best guess remains that the Leafs' can't re-sign Barrie (either because he wants too much, or because he simply wants to go where he wants to go as a UFA) and do re-sign Muzzin, Ceci and Dermott. In that scenario either Sandin or Dermott plays top-4 on the right side with Muzzin (my guess is Sandin). The other one plays 3rd pairing, but is used up the lineup to cover for D injuries on either side, and plays up the lineup with Rielly when the Leafs are behind in the 3rd period.

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Sandin
Dermott-Liljegren

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There's a significant amount of pending UFA certainty on the blueline right now. It's also fair to say that more/better opportunities would be found on the right side, and that there's a greater chance of being boxed in or squeezed out on the left. The former reason is why I wouldn't be thinking trade just yet.

Things would better fit into place if a LHD like Dermott could successfully move to his offhand side over a longer term. I believe there still is an imbalance between RHD and LHD in the NHL as well.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Usually the defensemen take longer to develop, Dermott is a solid pick but will take time to mature. I really have no doubt that he is going to sign at a sign at a cap friendly contract

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I'd trade third liners to sign Dermott and one of, it not 2 of the UFA guys.
I agree.

Move wingers not defenders. They’re a blessing for a cap team in need, and they’ll both be relatively cheap for a bit. They just aren’t perfect because they’re LH.

Kapanen or Johnsson would be easiest to replace, as much as I like both.

Reactions: kb

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The Elites would like to see more of Sandin going forward and I'm afraid that even jeopardizes Rielly.

Going forward:

Trade Muzzin, Ceci, Barrie and Dermott at the deadline.

D-Lines going forward:

Sandin Liljgren
Sandin Liljgren
Rielly Doughty

;)

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Considering the Leafs cap situation, its unlikely Muzzin is back, so I dont see how he doesnt have a spot longterm.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Unlikely Muzzin is back, so I dont see how he doesnt have a spot longterm
I guess it depends on what long term means. For example I think Dermott has a spot on the team for about 3 years then depending on a number of factors (Rielly, Sandin, Andy and likely Dermott himself needing contracts around this time) he may be moved

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Re-sign Barrie and go with Rielly, Barrie, Dermott and Sandin long term. Tonnes of offensive/skating ability...then sign a couple of muckers to PK and fill out the top six.
Ya I just worry that 3 of those guys are LD and may cause complications if none excel on the right side.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Really, I'm leaning towards Barrie though it depends what you mean by long term.

Yeah we probably figure out a way to extend Barrie given what we traded for him, and since he'll likely have a big year.

I think Dermott will be cost controlled in the short term, and will be a leaf for hopefully most of the next decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad