Dermott's Future With Toronto

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Yes, Leafs must trade Dermott because they already have Rielly-Sandin, and as we all know, there isn't a single team in the league using a LHD on the right side in their top 4... :eyeroll:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I like Dermott. And not sure his value leaguewide...

But. If he comes back and looks good until the deadline. I wonder if there is some potential of a trade package to fill holes....

I.e Dermott + Johnsson or Kapanen
For
RH dman + bottom 6er

Mikhayev - Matthews- Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Moore - Kerfoot - Kapanen/Johnsson
(Trade) - Gauthier - Spezza

Muzzin - Barrie
Rielly - (trade)
Sandin- Ceci

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I had a dream last night Dermott hooked someone in his first game back, got spun around and fell into the boards and re-injured his shoulder. Then for some reason I was on the ice and ran into him making it worse.

Doesn't look good for him when he returns.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs fans are so irrational at times. Last few years, complaining about not enough high quality Dmen. And now next year when only Reilly, Dermot and I'll say Sandin are guaranteed spots.....suddenly the Leafs have "too many" Dmen.:huh:
Fans sometimes become obsessed with handiness. Fact is left handed shooters are 60% of all players, so to expect a team can find three competent right handed Dmen, defies odds. Dermot might be the best candidate to move to the right side next year. Leafs are hoping that within a few years Liljegren, Lindgren, Hollawell, Duszak, Rasemum all RHD are NHL good, so maybe the handiness situation can be resolved internally (though I doubt it)

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Dermott should be a good cost effective option moving forward. A quality middling d-man with lots of room for growth.

Given his injury and recent signing of RFA d-men he should be a pretty cheap player to bridge. Wouldn’t be opposed to trying to lock him down for a bit of term for in $4 mill AAV though

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Small defensemen better be offensive defensemen in this league the NHL.

Therefore have to agree with your assessment.

My thinking is he should be traded to upgrade the forwards if required.

The 5th 6th defenseman usually is a revolving door. Dermott has not cemented himself even in that role.

Game 7, who gave up the puck in a pass tape to tape to a Bruin player leading to the opening goal of the game?

How is 6'0 205 lbs small for a defenseman?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Dermott should be a good cost effective option moving forward. A quality middling d-man with lots of room for growth.

Given his injury and recent signing of RFA d-men he should be a pretty cheap player to bridge. Wouldn’t be opposed to trying to lock him down for a bit of term for in $4 mill AAV though

what the actual f

dermott and middling do not belong in the same sentence

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Leafs fans are so irrational at times. Last few years, complaining about not enough high quality Dmen. And now next year when only Reilly, Dermot and I'll say Sandin are guaranteed spots.....suddenly the Leafs have "too many" Dmen.:huh:
Fans sometimes become obsessed with handiness. Fact is left handed shooters are 60% of all players, so to expect a team can find three competent right handed Dmen, defies odds. Dermot might be the best candidate to move to the right side next year. Leafs are hoping that within a few years Liljegren, Lindgren, Hollawell, Duszak, Rasemum all RHD are NHL good, so maybe the handiness situation can be resolved internally (though I doubt it)
The premise of the thread is what happens if Dermott continues to struggle at playing the right side and Sandin keeps developing way faster than we were expecting.

Leafs likely will not be able to afford Dermott on the 3rd pairing after his raise this upcoming summer if they resign Barrie + a partner for Rielly.

Leafs are about to enter a period of time where they have to decide which good players are going to price themselves out of town because they have 40% of the cap tied up in 3 players.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Dermott is a lock. Hope he doesn't go anywhere. They'll also lock him up on the cheap, as others have mentioned. Dermott will most likely be replacing Muzzin (as much as I'd like him to stay).

Physical, gritty dmen are often available on the cheap (FA, Europe, KHL, etc). The skilled ones who can skate (Rielly, Sandin, Barrie, Dermott, Liljegren) are often the hard ones to find/acquire. Thankfully Leafs are setup there.
Muzzy will stay under 5M AAV he knows the program

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Rielly Dermy and Barrie are all small men. I don't think one of them is 6 ft in reality from my eye balling them without skates on. I have not seen Barrie yet but he looks small too.

Isn't Morgan 6ft1 205? I wouldnt say he is small and he is thick.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Isn't Morgan 6ft1 205? I wouldnt say he is small and he is thick.
Yeah Morgan has massive legs. His explosion in his stride is something to see in practice. and Dermy is damn quick too. They are both around 6 ft. Morgan is more filled in.
I like 3 mobile puck moving D and 3 big strong defenders with decent hands who can do the dirty work and are position ally strong.
Barrie and Rielly and Dermy are very strong puck movers
Muzzy and Ceci can do the defending.
Sandin is a puck mover.
Lily is a better defender.
A lot of what goes down with depend on CAP and where guys are really at.
I think you will see Dermy and Muzzy resign here under 5M.
I hope Barrie does too but I fear he will get 8M+ LT in FA and he should he deserves it. It just won't be with us. So my thinking is to trade him for a 1st rounder which we lost in Marleau deal plus a decent prospect defender type. But I know everyone says no way and I do realize we have tended retain our own UFA's in JVR Bozak and Gards. Do you think we would have looked a little better now with a couple more 1st and 2nds in hand from those guys?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah Morgan has massive legs. His explosion in his stride is something to see in practice. and Dermy is damn quick too. They are both around 6 ft. Morgan is more filled in.
I like 3 mobile puck moving D and 3 big strong defenders with decent hands who can do the dirty work and are position ally strong.
Barrie and Rielly and Dermy are very strong puck movers
Muzzy and Ceci can do the defending.
Sandin is a puck mover.
Lily is a better defender.
A lot of what goes down with depend on CAP and where guys are really at.
I think you will see Dermy and Muzzy resign here under 5M.
I hope Barrie does too but I fear he will get 8M+ LT in FA and he should he deserves it. It just won't be with us. So my thinking is to trade him for a 1st rounder which we lost in Marleau deal plus a decent prospect defender type. But I know everyone says no way and I do realize we have tended retain our own UFA's in JVR Bozak and Gards. Do you think we would have looked a little better now with a couple more 1st and 2nds in hand from those guys?

Yeah, I think we would have looked a lot better. Call me crazy but I think in the cap era you pretty much have to cash in on expiring contracts. Then, build a war chest and supplement that core with your assets at the right times for pushes. If you fail, you retreat a year if need be then push again. I guess GMs in a way knowing or unknowingly build teams to win battles and some to win wars. This year is sort of that all in philosophy and I like having Barrie and Muzzin, don't get me wrong, this team can win. The worrisome thing is, is it a 1 off and then our assets are thin and we can't overcome the cap concerns KD put us in with 50% to 4players all forwards no less.

What do I know though?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Holl and Marincin are place holders until Dermott is back. As we are seeing tonight Sandin stays in the lineup and Marincin is out against Columbus.

Once Dermott comes back he will take his place next to Sandin on the bottom pair. Dermott has enough experience playing his opposite side doing it a lot in junior and with Marlies. He does it well due to his mobility and quickness.

Dermott will always have a place on the Leafs. It just depends on Sandin's progression, Ceci's time with the Leafs, and what they are going to do with Muzzin and Barrie. Remember there are 6 spots to fill next season. Dermott has one of them guaranteed. My projection is that Ceci will excel next to Reilly, he will sign a cheap 2-3 year deal to remain at home. Then it depends on which is more important to the Leafs, Barrie or Muzzin or Both. I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire Leafs defense come back long term next season.

I see Hyman, Johnsson and Kapanen being dealt along with Llijegren to ensure Reilly, Ceci, Muzzin, Barrie, Sandin and Dermott are Maple Leafs long term. That's my prediction.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
what the actual f

dermott and middling do not belong in the same sentence

Prior to injury imo he was playing around at a #4 d-man level... so a middle pairing d.

Didn’t look that great in the playoffs but he was dealing with that shoulder as wel

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I'm hoping we sign him to a cheap long term deal. Something like 3.5-4.5M for 6/7 years. It carries some risk, but I think Dermott is the real deal. That type of contract could end up being a fantastic value contract. I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up being a top 4 d (and a great one at that). He's already crushed bottom pairing usage and he's still going to get much better.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad