Sportsnet: Dermott hit from behind suspendable?.?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
And see my comment about it. The article had 0 sources it was a complete opinion piece by a blogger, and then the Isles blogger took it as fact.

I don’t think this thread needs any further discussion on it. Thats off topic

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
I don't know what the Isles would do without Leo.

View attachment 294255

Probably get bullied and taken advantage of like our fluffy group. What a player like Komarov brings to the table isn't recorded on the fancy stat websites..We don't need skilled smurfs on the 4th line like Petan, we need gritty men who can instill some fear in the other team and make them understand there will be consequences if they target our stars. I'm not talking about goons. I'm talking about gritty, energy players who can still keep up with the play.

Agostino comes to mind and somehow he has still not been given the chance...

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
No career hockey player that plays a physical game is scared of physical retribution. They've spent their whole lives playing the game that way. They're either perfectly fine fighting the fight or perfectly fine ducking the fight.

I love the pack mentality and moral victory (for lack of a better term) from beating em in the trenches but don't equate it with effectiveness.

The entire league knows it's open-season on the Leafs when it comes to running our stars. Why? There will be zero consequences.

Do you actually believe Okposo wouldn't have the thought "if I wreck this guy, I'm probably going to have to fight Martin" and maybe he still goes for the dirty hit but at least he's just as likely to decide he doesn't want his face caved in by Martin. Whereas where we stand now, not one opposing player has to bother thinking of any consequences (maybe suspensions if they overdo it) before wrecking our players.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The state of officiating in the league right now is pissing me off. This is his is clearly late, clearly a penalty, possible a suspension. It's the exact kind of hit the league has been trying to get rid of for the last decade. Embarrassing that refs miss these kind of plays but then call every small stick infraction, like the JT "Holding the Stick" last night.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Probably get bullied and taken advantage of like our fluffy group. What a player like Komarov brings to the table isn't recorded on the fancy stat websites..We don't need skilled smurfs on the 4th line like Petan, we need gritty men who can instill some fear in the other team and make them understand there will be consequences if they target our stars. I'm not talking about goons. I'm talking about gritty, energy players who can still keep up with the play.

Leo is the heavy, pest version of Zach Hymen. Leo's offense largely disappeared his last few seasons in Toronto but was still a valued player. The other teams hated him. Kadri too.

I've never seen Agostino play. What is he like as a player? Is he a big tough grinder like Marchment?

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It’s a penalty.

Not a suspension

In the old days, Dermott would have protected himself as well. He was either admiring and putting himself at risk or trying to draw something. Either way. Not good for the body.

This would have been a better action on his part.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It was nice to see Muzzin talk loudly to the Sabre a couple of minutes later.

That will show ‘em.

Leafs are routinely the target of questionable hits. Dubas says HE KNOWS TEAMS AROUND THE LEAGUE THINK THEY CAN COME IN AND TAKE RUNS AT OUR PLAYERS.

And they are.

And he does.................. absolutely sweet frog all

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The entire league knows it's open-season on the Leafs when it comes to running our stars. Why? There will be zero consequences.

Do you actually believe Okposo wouldn't have the thought "if I wreck this guy, I'm probably going to have to fight Martin" and maybe he still goes for the dirty hit but at least he's just as likely to decide he doesn't want his face caved in by Martin. Whereas where we stand now, not one opposing player has to bother thinking of any consequences (maybe suspensions if they overdo it) before wrecking our players.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: See my first post.

You're inserting your personal level of fear that doesn't exist in these players.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Leo is the heavy, pest version of Zach Hymen. His offense largely disappeared his last few seasons in Toronto but was still a valued player. The other teams hated him. Kadri too.

I've never seen Agostino play. What is he like as a player? Is he a heavy grinder like Marchment?

I know. I really don't understand why no one wants any gritty players on the team when it's clear as day it's the biggest weakness we have especially come playoff time.

Getting rid of Kadri was insane too and the whole reason Kadri kept getting suspended was because he was the only gritty player and Boston was taking so many liberties with our players that Kadri had no choice but to overreact emotionally because no one else was gonna do it. If Kadri had the other gritty players around him he wouldn't have had to overreact with frustration and get himself suspended. So we get rid of him..smfh.

You won't win a cup being easy to play against. We are one of the easiest teams to play against. Sure we can score goals, but we don't make the other team work very hard because we hardly have any players who play the body.

Agostino is like a smaller spark-plug, energy player who loves to hit and play in the dirty areas. He's quick and has some offensive flare. He's doing very well on the Marlies at the moment and leads their team in points.

Reactions: Myopic

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Short answer: No.

Long answer: See my first post.

You're inserting your personal level of fear that doesn't exist in these players.

Lmao and you know that how? Good lord.
Do you know how many enforcers have depression, anxiety and all the other crap because they're literally terrified to go out and fight all the time. But it's their job and if they don't do it they'll be out of the league.
A lot of these guys are on a ton of medications to get them through this career...Nice try though.

Now imagine you're not the enforcer but have to fight one of them because you just threw a dirty hit.

Reactions: Kurtz

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Pierre Lebrun playing apologist for the league on TSN this morning and he’s feeling grrrreat

Tripping over himself to minimize this second serious hit from behind on Dermott. The first one putting him out with no penalty and no supplemental disciplinary action that time either.

Big reason he says was that no call on the ice. Well guess what, the no call is a pattern against us. Rat refs

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Lmao and you know that how? Good lord.

A physical player that is scared of the repercussions is no longer a physical player by the time they reach the NHL.

It's a ridiculous premise. If our "gritty men" hold their "gritty men" in check, none of the "gritty men" would be playing gritty would they? But we all know that isn't the case. Players play their game. Two teams of physical players result in a physical game. There's the odd case where a quasi heavy (lucic) would get cowed by a true heavy (orr) but that's not what we're talking about.

Don't trivialize the enforcer mental health issue, it goes far far deeper than a non-existent fear of throwing a hit. It's an entirely different discussion.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It was nice to see Muzzin talk loudly to the Sabre a couple of minutes later.

That will show ‘em.

Leafs are routinely the target of questionable hits. Dubas says HE KNOWS TEAMS AROUND THE LEAGUE THINK THEY CAN COME IN AND TAKE RUNS AT OUR PLAYERS.

And they are.

And he does.................. absolutely sweet frog all

This is not about dubas for starters. This is a late hit, hit from behind, intentional and no penalty call, no concussion protocol initiated and no suspension.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
A physical player that is scared of the repercussions is no longer a physical player by the time they reach the NHL.

If we got some gritty players who could handle themselves physically (like a Josh Anderson or Kadri..) it would definitely help the team and make our stars much more comfortable and I'm sure it would cut down on the liberties taken with our stars.

Not like we'll know because while Dubas is here we will continue to be the easiest team in the league to play against and it will be open-season on our stars.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If we got some gritty players who could handle themselves physically (like a Josh Anderson or Kadri..) it would definitely help the team and make our stars much more comfortable and I'm sure it would cut down on the liberties taken with our stars.

Not like we'll know because while Dubas is here we will continue to be the easiest team in the league to play against and it will be open-season on our stars.

Re-stating your position is not a defense of your position.

It would make us harder to play against sure. We'd dish out some of our own punishment. If they're good hockey players it might even make us a better team. It would make us a more likeable team IMO, more in line with the style I like and played.

But the players that take liberties will continue to take liberties, we'd just have someone firing back.

Lol at Kenny Agostino playing 10 minutes a game changing the way NHL players play.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012

It's a ridiculous premise. If our "gritty men" hold their "gritty men" in check, none of the "gritty men" would be playing gritty would they? But we all know that isn't the case. Players play their game. Two teams of physical players result in a physical game. There's the odd case where a quasi heavy (lucic) would get cowed by a true heavy (orr) but that's not what we're talking about.

Don't trivialize the enforcer mental health issue, it goes far far deeper than a non-existent fear of throwing a hit. It's an entirely different discussion.

You can write but you cannot read apparently. Accusing me of things I never did or said. Eh, enjoy this softy team because you sure seem to support Dubas's flawed ideology and love to mock the whole "grit" argument. I'm not wasting anymore time because there's no getting through to some folks especially when reading comprehension isn't their strong suit.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Actually they are one of the hardest teams in the league to defend. Nothing easy about them. Whats hard to defend is the league's incompetence at many levels including their refs, whoever it was that didn’t check him for concussion protocol and the disciplinary department.

The missed calls are blatant and need to be outed. Hopefully this adds discussion and gets people on top of whats going on when we just don’t get proper reffing consistently in games.

Lowest powerplay numbers in the league belong to the Leafs and its a large sample size of it going on. Thats a issue.

Seriously if i lived in T.O i would sell rubber ref rats outside the rink with posters to berate them refs made up and for sale at cost

There is a entrepreneurial opportunity here for someone lol

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Re-stating your position is not a defense of your position.

It would make us harder to play against sure. We'd dish out some of our own punishment. If they're good hockey players it might even make us a better team. It would make us a more likeable team IMO, more in line with the style I like and played.

But the players that take liberties will continue to take liberties, we'd just have someone firing back.

Lol at Kenny Agostino playing 10 minutes a game changing the way NHL players play.

It's a start.. I didn't state that it was the end all be all to fix this obvious issue. If you can't see this team being incredibly soft is a huge issue..well there's no helping you. Lol indeed.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Actually they are one of the hardest teams in the league to defend. Nothing easy about them. Whats hard to defend is the league's incompetence at many levels including their refs, whoever it was that didn’t check him for concussion protocol and the disciplinary department.

The missed calls are blatant and need to be outed. Hopefully this adds discussion and gets people on top of whats going on when we just don’t get proper reffing consistently in games.

Lowest powerplay numbers in the league belong to the Leafs and its a large sample size of it going on. Thats a issue.

Seriously if i lived in T.O i would sell rubber ref rats outside the rink with posters to berate them refs made up and for sale at cost

There is a entrepreneurial opportunity here for someone lol

Hard to defend if the opposing team allows the Leafs to play their game but one of the easiest teams to play if the opposing team is dictating the play and making the Leafs defend in their own zone.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You can write but you cannot read apparently. Accusing me of things I never did or said. Eh, enjoy this softy team because you sure seem to support Dubas's flawed ideology and love to mock the whole "grit" argument. I'm not wasting anymore time because there's no getting through to some folks especially when reading comprehension isn't their strong suit.

... we need gritty men who can instill some fear in the other team and make them understand there will be consequences if they target our stars. I'm not talking about goons. I'm talking about gritty, energy players who can still keep up with the play.

What was that again? Looks like a claim that gritty energy players such as Agostino will instill fear because of "consequences"

Grit has a purpose. Making the other team pay a price is a good thing. It's entertaining. Push back is good for morale.

But your "consequence" argument is pure nonsense.

Reactions: Leafidelity

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
What was that again?

Grit has a purpose. Making the other team pay a price is a good thing. It's entertaining. Push back is good for morale.

But your "consequence" argument is pure nonsense.

It's not "pure nonsense" at all...Maybe it wouldn't help a ton but it would help. To say it's pure nonsense is very ignorant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad