Sportsnet: Dermott hit from behind suspendable?.?

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
I saw the Sandin hit once and seemed borderline for penalty, maybe I change my mind if I watched again, but was well away from the boards and from the side, Sandin just went flying, Liked the reponse but if you want to avoid being short handed gotta make the other guy drop the gloves instead of just roughing. Same thing happened earlier in the year where Marincin responded to something by bulldoging a guy from behind down to the ice and half choking him out. Didn't give the guy a chance to respond so the refs just called him for roughing and all the whiners were out for the refs. Drop the gloves don't be a wimp send a message.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
There comes a time when Dermott can’t continue being a coward when guys are nailing him from behind. Happens again and he does nothing. Oh did Chara even get looked at for his cross check to the face? Oh a $5000 fine for almost breaking his jaw now. Really!

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
There comes a time when Dermott can’t continue being a coward when guys are nailing him from behind. Happens again and he does nothing. Oh did Chara even get looked at for his cross check to the face?

Yeah what an idiot Dermott is for expecting the refs to call a very obvious penalty :rolleyes:

He should retaliate and needlessly put himself in the box and hurt his team.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yeah what an idiot Dermott is for expecting the refs to call a very obvious penalty :rolleyes:

He should retaliate and needlessly put himself in the box and hurt his team.

Enough of the sH!t. Take the penalty. They don’t and won’t call it. Read this thread on the blatant amount of times ignore calls that will be in our favour. Thats how you call them refs out. This team is to nice

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Enough of the sH!t. Take the penalty. They don’t and won’t call it. Read this thread on the blatant amount of times ignore calls that will be in our favour. Thats how you call them refs out. This team is to nice
Did you see last night when Dermott was hit from behind into the glass on his number and there was no penalty call.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He needs to fight for himself here. They are letting it happen
how about the refs do their job instead?

Under no case should a player need to risk the team's chances at winning the game due to incompetence from officiating.

What makes it worse is the horde of blue-pill moron Leafs fans who'd come in and chastise Dermott for "taking a stupid penalty" if he did stand up for himself for a hit from behind.

Reactions: Cams

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Under no case should a player need to risk the team's chances at winning the game due to incompetence from officiating.

What makes it worse is the horde of blue-pill moron Leafs fans who'd come in and chastise Dermott for "taking a stupid penalty" if he did stand up for himself for a hit from behind.
I agree that the refs need to do their job because that's a 2:00 penalty boarding penalty.

Reactions: IPS

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Thats so true. Unfortunately players know Dermott won’t punch them in the face for running him. So I don’t know. I would go after them hard and make a scene towards the refs. They are getting off the hook really slimey like

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Thats so true. Unfortunately players know Dermott won’t punch them in the face for running him. So I don’t know. I would go after them hard and make a scene towards the refs. They are getting off the hook really slimey like
Knowing the Leafs luck if Dermott did retaliate chances are he gets a penalty.

I know the situations were different but against Arizona this past Tuesday late in the 3rd when the game was tied 2-2 Matthews got tripped off the faceoff and there was no penalty. However seconds later Hyman gets 2:00 for tripping. That's where the refs are inconsistent because if they don't call that same penalty when Matthews is tripped why are they calling it on Hyman?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Knowing the Leafs luck if Dermott did retaliate chances are he gets a penalty.

I know the situations were different but against Arizona this past Tuesday late in the 3rd when the game was tied 2-2 Matthews got tripped off the faceoff and there was no penalty. However seconds later Hyman gets 2:00 for tripping. That's where the refs are inconsistent because if they don't call that same penalty when Matthews is tripped why are they calling it on Hyman?

The slashes Dallas got away with last night were blatant b.s

Once

Jul 16, 2010
The issue with these boarding incidents is twofold:

1. Refs do not call a boarding penalty based on 'playoff hockey'. Imo there is more grey area when assessing a boarding call during the moment. Yet, they will call a trip every damn time, even if the 'trip' is more self inflicted.

2. There is a clear pattern of dangerous hits on Dermott. Either he needs to do a better job at avoiding contact or the other team purposively targets him (both are plausible).

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Raptors officially surpass Maple Leafs Popularity in Toronto. I wonder why lol

Cabt wait until Bettman loses millions for NHL because we leaf fans finally say FU.

Have fun paying in pocket for sunbelt teams Bettman LOL they dont even care about hockey down south.

Raps : 15 gm win streak, a championship. Another solid playoff appearance in 5 years in a row.
We can compete with top teams and stars with NBA Reffing.

Meanwhile Leafs under Bettman...
More bias calls. More expansion into fringe USA markets. All at the expense of MLSE Leafs.

No Banner since 67. Never past rd 1.
And we are already regressing.

Good Job MLSE. Just letting Bettman bend you over with no lube.

Another year or two of this BS and Im gonna just follow Raps. Be a gold and black / purple white kinda guy... bye bye blue and white.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I really don't know what IS and what ISN'T suspension worthy anymore as there isn't any consistency. I don't say this lightly, but Parros has been doing an extremely poor job.

Does anyone else find it messed up that the league turns a blind eye when Chara at 6' 9" 250 pounds does that, and we've seen other cases where comparable acts get anywhere from 1-5 games. The league should zero in on Chara who has the ability to seriously injure a player with that type of cross check, but nope. It's so backwards, no one knows the difference of what's worth a 1 game suspension or a 5 game suspension. It's a joke.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Raptors officially surpass Maple Leafs Popularity in Toronto. I wonder why lol

Cabt wait until Bettman loses millions for NHL because we leaf fans finally say FU.

Have fun paying in pocket for sunbelt teams Bettman LOL they dont even care about hockey down south.

Raps : 15 gm win streak, a championship. Another solid playoff appearance in 5 years in a row.
We can compete with top teams and stars with NBA Reffing.

Meanwhile Leafs under Bettman...
More bias calls. More expansion into fringe USA markets. All at the expense of MLSE Leafs.

No Banner since 67. Never past rd 1.
And we are already regressing.

Good Job MLSE. Just letting Bettman bend you over with no lube.

Another year or two of this BS and Im gonna just follow Raps. Be a gold and black / purple white kinda guy... bye bye blue and white.

Reactions: toasterart

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
No kidding, And that is the way it should be at this point.

Wait until the Leafs miss the playoffs this season, it will be even worse.
Good, let the raps be the new trendy team in the city, let the fair weather fans leave. Better for th rest of us leaf fans

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
No kidding, And that is the way it should be at this point.

Wait until the Leafs miss the playoffs this season, it will be even worse.

Yep... Leafs out in April.

While Raptors will create buzz and make millions of new fans.

Leafs letting Bettman syphon money while stabbing them in the back with bias reffing for USA TV deals has gone on too long. One day the stadium will not be full and noone is going to watch.

Look around the GTA and even areas like kitchener, Barrie, whitby, collongwood, kingston....

Who wears Leafs gear : older white males. Then later 20 somthings - good portion of all ethnicities men and women , and less for millenials.

Who wears Raps gear?
Almost all ethncities under 18. Same under 25. A good number of everyone under 30 and as you get into older males - more ethnic minority but its becoming more and more mainstream.

One is trending for a future and one is losing it

FU Bettman and Parros Refs

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Yep... Leafs out in April.

While Raptors will create buzz and make millions of new fans.

Leafs letting Bettman syphon money while stabbing them in the back with bias reffing for USA TV deals has gone on too long. One day the stadium will not be full and noone is going to watch.

Look around the GTA and even areas like kitchener, Barrie, whitby, collongwood, kingston....

Who wears Leafs gear : older white males. Then later 20 somthings - good portion of all ethnicities men and women , and less for millenials.

Who wears Raps gear?
Almost all ethncities under 18. Same under 25. A good number of everyone under 30 and as you get into older males - more ethnic minority but its becoming more and more mainstream.

One is trending for a future and one is losing it

FU Bettman and Parros Refs

Basketball is also a more accessible sport to people because of cost mostly, and it's more of a global game, plus no matter how slice it, hockey is a "white male" game compared to basketball and other sports. Also....bad time to compare the Raptors and the Leafs....... Raptors just came of winning an NBA championship so it's a shiny new thing for many people. Maybe that novelty will wear off? Please.....there is no great conspiracy with the league/refs against the Leafs!

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Late to this thread, haven't read it all, but watched the opening post's vid and must say...Holy Sh*t! That is ridiculously dangerous, and the league doesn't do anything. Some argue that Dermott should have done something about it, ahhhhh, we don't know how he felt afterwards, he may have had his bell wrung. We don't know. He may not be that type of player. What I do think is that this type of hit shouldn't be tolerated by the Leaf organization. They should have gone all Torts on this, demanding the league to explain why this wasn't a suspendible hit. If Kadri is suspendible two playoffs ago for his hit in Boston, why the heck isn't this crap suspendible. Both players are in vulnerable positions. Heck, an argument could be made that Dermott was in a more vulnerable position. I'm not one to say the Leafs are in tough when it comes to how the league treats teams differently, but...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad