Derick Brassard's playoffs

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Brassard has been trash ever since he got to Ottawa tbh.

One of the more overrated players in the league, and I was saying this while he was with the sens as well.

Reactions: robsenz

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
To get ‘big game brass’ The penguins traded:

Gustavsson (pens #1 goalie prospect)
Ian Cole
2018 1st
2018 3rd

And we got 1 goal in 2 playoff series. The trade is a bust by the very definition. He couldn’t have been more dissapointing from my perspective.

Reactions: Pens x

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016

Ian Cole
2018 1st
2018 3rd

And we got 1 goal in 2 playoff series. The trade is a bust by the very definition. He couldn’t have been more dissapointing from my perspective.

Since we have him for 1 more season at retained salary, he's not a total bust. Given time to adjust to our system and players, I bet he'll be better than he was this season for us.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Ian Cole
2018 1st
2018 3rd

He just needs more time!!! -every homer pens fan

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Brassard was a pretty good playmaker in these playoffs but his linemates (Sheary, Kessel, Rust v Caps, Kuhnhackl)struggled to finish. He had a groin injury which takes a while to fully come back from and he did it just before the playoffs so we didn’t get to see him at full strength.

Another year at 3 million is a bargain and he’ll do really well.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
He just needs more time!!! -every homer pens fan

It's not about being a homer. It's about acknowledging the reality. Hossa took awhile to gel with his linemates/system. So did Niksanen. So did Schultz

People act like real life NHL is some freakin video game

Reactions: Lomez

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah his skating was shit when he came back from his injury. Like Bonino bad.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
He's hurt, playing with Sheary and Kuhnhackl, and not getting the icetime he's used to. I'd say there's an explanation in there somewhere.

I would say there is an excuse in there somewhere. I didn't like his game all playoffs. After all the hyping of Sheary I've listened to over the last two years, hard to look at him as a negative.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I'm honestly waiting to find out what the injuries were for the Pens. Malkin was playing at no greater than 60% and Kessel had to be playing with some sort of broken leg. Or maybe he ate one too many cheeseburgers.
kessel was playing hurt all year long

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Eh more like closer to March when he got injured and took a tumble into the boards.
Prior to that he was really carrying the Pens while Sid/Geno were quiet
either the coach or gm said kessel was playing hurt all year with minor injuries.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He's a good player but he needs other talent to work with, he's not the kind of guy who can carry a line with lesser players like Crosby and Malkin can.

Pens are kind of built with mostly meh wingers who get elevated by playing with elite centers and the couple of excellent wingers they have in Kessel and Guentzel. Makes sense when you have Crosby and Malkin for those guys to play with, but it's not surprising that Brass wasn't able to do the same. He played his best in NYR when he was on a line with similarly talented players.

EDIT: I don't mean that this is an excuse as much as it's just a truth about a player that a GM and coach need to come to terms with if they want him to succeed. Almost every player has something like this - some don't have great foot speed, some have poor shots, some are easily bullied by tougher players, etc. He generally can't carry a line with lesser players. It's not all that rare or unique to him.

Last edited:

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
This thread is almost 50/50 between people who think he stank and people who thought he did the best he could nursing an injury / playing with dead weight.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
either the coach or gm said kessel was playing hurt all year with minor injuries.

Those are sound snippets, believe your own eyes not what a gm/coach says

Sullivan said something like: Kessel wasn't injured at all

GMJR said something like: yea Kessel was injured all year

Everyone who watched the Pens closely saw a dramatic drop in play and shot velocity since that tumble into the boards

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Brassard was really impacted by a groin injury leading into the playoffs. He was also playing on a line with Kessel, whose play was also crippled by some mysterious injury, the rotating 3rd wheel on that line never added up to anything significant.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I'm honestly waiting to find out what the injuries were for the Pens. Malkin was playing at no greater than 60% and Kessel had to be playing with some sort of broken leg. Or maybe he ate one too many cheeseburgers.
Or switched to a veggiedog diet...he just wasn't the same on whatever it was...wasn't the same as his normally saturated self

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have trouble believing the pens about any injury because they outright lie so much... Crosby's broken neck was called a prolonged concussion... letang was going to be fine last year then suddenly he has spinal fusion surgery... its always like that....

I don't believe that the fact that Brassard ripped up his groin right before the playoffs had nothing to do with him getting tdemoted to the fourth line in the playoffs
Just like its impossible for me to believe phil Kessel, coming of his best regular season ever, suddenly decided not to shoot or skate fast in the playoffs for non injury related things

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I have trouble believing the pens about any injury because they outright lie so much... Crosby's broken neck was called a prolonged concussion... letang was going to be fine last year then suddenly he has spinal fusion surgery... its always like that....

I don't believe that the fact that Brassard ripped up his groin right before the playoffs had nothing to do with him getting tdemoted to the fourth line in the playoffs
Just like its impossible for me to believe phil Kessel, coming of his best regular season ever, suddenly decided not to shoot or skate fast in the playoffs for non injury related things

I do mainly agree with what you said, the Pens, and NHL teams in general are very shady regarding injury... However, I legitimately believe that they mis-diagnosed Sid's neck injury as a concussion, due to the symptoms. Hell it could have even been a concussion on top of the neck injury.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad