Derick Brassard's playoffs

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
You're using a 13 playoff game sample to judge Brassard. Guess Kessel sucks too.

Players have bad stretches of games. It happens, Brassard has played like 10 games healthy and looked good btw.

Yeah Kessel was terrible for his standards too...

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I thought Brassard was playing fine.

He was. Good even. Not much you can do with Sheary and Kuhnackel as your linemates. Infact aside from Crosby in the last two games, Brassard was the Pens most active forward. The coach misused him and didn't play him enough, could be that he was hampered by his injury and couldn't play much.

Reactions: iSophagus

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
What happened is that judging a player by their playoff stats is an extremely poor way to make an evaluation of them... The sample size is way too small and the opponents they play against are much less diverse than those faced in the regular season.

Someone who's historically not done much in the playoffs could suddenly light up the stat sheet when playing against the right team, with the right line-mates, or the right system. The playoffs are still the same game, just a bit more intense/fast because players are generally going "all out".

Reactions: Pouliot

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
At least you may have gotten to the site lol
I mean in a thread about the guy it seems like a relevant question (one that I don't really care enough to seek out on my own) that most posters probably have readily available.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It appears to me that Brassard is a good player with some attributes that make him a good fit for the Penguins should they keep him next year, but he just didn't have enough time to form chemistry with his new teammates.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I still make the trade again even knowing how it turned out. We have him for another year at dirt cheap. Let's see how he does when healthy and with a training camp.

Ian Cole is overrated as hell. A segment of the Pens fan base is treating him like the missing ingredient for some stupid reason when all he ever was was a good 5th defenseman.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Brassard was meh-bad in these playoffs. He fit right in with most of the team.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh, like the rest of the Pens players he has played alot of hockey in the playoffs the last 2 seasons...He will be fine he needs a break thats all

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
Brassard didn't play well, but he wasn't the big issue.

The Pens don't have great depth and as such could really use the guys who cost a lot showing up huge (granted they have some cheap stars like Guentzel). Imo Letang and Kessel weren't good enough

icon6668

Jul 22, 2012
While he didn't reall yo do what everyone had hoped. I'm picturing his as a James Neal type pickup.
Neal came here and had 1+5 in 20 RS games and 1+1 in 7 Playoff games. The next season/s he tore it up at almost a PPG.

Hopefully he comes right next season and can put up some good numbers playing with a Kessel who isn't almost dead.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I thought he played fine. He did everything but finish. He had some great chances from point blank and couldn't bury it. That's my only complaint.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
He was soft and terrible - i remember him being so much more dangerous on the Rangers and Sens. Pens definitely missed Bonino, Cullen, and Cole. That said i think he can turn it around with a full season with the pens.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
He was playing with 4th line talent in a 4th line role. I don't get what people expected. Even if he played third line center, this team still doesn't have winger depth to give him the caliber of player he was used to working with.

He wasn't the player we needed. The trade bothered me then and it still does now. One of, if not THE worst in JR's career.

Zazzaro703

Mar 18, 2016
Lake Tahoe
I'm honestly waiting to find out what the injuries were for the Pens. Malkin was playing at no greater than 60% and Kessel had to be playing with some sort of broken leg. Or maybe he ate one too many cheeseburgers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad