Player Discussion Derick Brassard

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I seem to remember seeing that every number he's worn in his career was currently in use with the Oilers (probably forgetting some but I know he's worn 19, 16, 10, and 25) so I'm guessing that he sent Benson some money or a watch or something to be able to use 16.
I am big on looking at hockey in psychological and emotional terms, and not like it is a video game. So I hope you are right, because if Benson took that like a jab against him, it's bad for him, the Condors, and the Oilers. In terms of effect on the Oilers, it's probably small, but it would be an even smaller thing to avoid in the first place.

I know a lot of people would say something like "who cares", or "he'd have to be a baby to be offended", just remember that he is fighting for his NHL dream here, and so are our players on the Condors, and even the Oilers. So the stakes are extremely high for Benson. Also, if you ever worked for a company you know that what comes out the bosses' mouths is usually just to keep you going, so you are looking for indicators or subtle hints at times to guess at where you actually stand.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I’ll echo the sentiment, I quite enjoyed Brassard‘s play.

We have some serious depth up front that can create difficult matchups with the team fully healthy.

Reactions: oilers'72

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I’ll echo the sentiment, I quite enjoyed Brassard‘s play.

We have some serious depth up front that can create difficult matchups with the team fully healthy.

Was listening to the Staples and McCurdy podcast on Youtube, and agree with David that I think this is the deepest group of forwards we've probably had since the 2006 Cup run. Brassard really helps with that, adding a guy who has serious skill who I think can probably slot in on any line on the LW and not really look out of place. Just such a smart pickup for only a 4th, IMO.

Reactions: oilers'72 and North

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
It’s one thing if I was only in the AHL all year but he’s spent a lot of the year up with the Oilers. There’s a clear difference.
Not really. He’s done playing for us… aka irrelevant. Career 36 NHL games and done… 29 games in a season isn't a lot either… especially considering he played like 2 minutes for most of them.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It’s one thing if I was only in the AHL all year but he’s spent a lot of the year up with the Oilers. There’s a clear difference.
Benson was up with NHL club because we didn't want to risk losing him to waivers and not because he was an upgrade on Sceviour/Malone etc

Reactions: Porkleaker

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I am big on looking at hockey in psychological and emotional terms, and not like it is a video game. So I hope you are right, because if Benson took that like a jab against him, it's bad for him, the Condors, and the Oilers. In terms of effect on the Oilers, it's probably small, but it would be an even smaller thing to avoid in the first place.

I know a lot of people would say something like "who cares", or "he'd have to be a baby to be offended", just remember that he is fighting for his NHL dream here, and so are our players on the Condors, and even the Oilers. So the stakes are extremely high for Benson. Also, if you ever worked for a company you know that what comes out the bosses' mouths is usually just to keep you going, so you are looking for indicators or subtle hints at times to guess at where you actually stand.
Do you think if woodcroft was the coach at the beginning of the season things would be different for Benson? To me, the only way I see Benson becoming successful in the league is if he starts over with a new club.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Do you think if woodcroft was the coach at the beginning of the season things would be different for Benson? To me, the only way I see Benson becoming successful in the league is if he starts over with a new club.

I know you're not asking me, but I think Benson is just too slow for the NHL. Not only his skating, but his decision making and even his shot perhaps isn't quite NHL quality (he's always been more of a playmaker). Maybe he can improve that. He's 24, which isn't young but also isn't old. Not sure I'd put money on that, though.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I really like this pickup, and I especially like that he seems to have a bit of attitude, and is a very confident guy. The Oilers need a little more of that in the playoffs, guys who aren't afraid of the moment. I think between Kane, Hyman, Brassard, and even Keith and Ceci, they have the attitude and experience to hopefully handle some adversity in the playoffs.

I'm already hoping that they re-sign this guy on the offseason.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Don’t really love that the organization gave him #16 unless they cleared it with Benson first, considering he was wearing that number this season and played a decent number of games up with the big squad.

Sends the wrong message, especially if Benson is going to be called up at any point due to injuries / being a black ace.

It’s not like Brassard hasn’t worn other numbers before either.

Not a huge deal but it just seems a bit disrespectful to the kid.

Not blaming Brassard - he probably doesn’t even know.

On another note I thought he had a solid first game. Scored the winner and showed some nice chemistry with RNH on that “third” line.
I believe I saw on twitter when they announced the numbers that Benson was ok with allowing veteran dibs on the number.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He's not really the first guy that comes to mind when you think playoff performer but man he has had some deep productive playoff runs despite being on a dog shit Columbus team to start his career.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

duul

Jun 21, 2010
While not an add on the Rakell/Kessel level that I'd have hoped for to go all in this year, he really is the next best thing in a way. Plays a skilled game, spent the night making great reads with RNH. Pulju was an animal as well collecting pucks.

Brassard truly rounds out a third scoring line for us in a way that the current occupant in Foegele couldn't come close to doing. Soft hands, great hockey brain. Legs and strength and dynamic ability may not be there anymore, but he's smart enough to still be effective. That pass to RNH when he hit the post was a play only a handful of guys on the team can make.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Taking a break from my wedding week to say I love brassard so far. Always wanted him in the draft

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
While not an add on the Rakell/Kessel level that I'd have hoped for to go all in this year, he really is the next best thing in a way. Plays a skilled game, spent the night making great reads with RNH. Pulju was an animal as well collecting pucks.

Brassard truly rounds out a third scoring line for us in a way that the current occupant in Foegele couldn't come close to doing. Soft hands, great hockey brain. Legs and strength and dynamic ability may not be there anymore, but he's smart enough to still be effective. That pass to RNH when he hit the post was a play only a handful of guys on the team can make.
Just the way he was shouting instructions to Pulju, anticipated a turnover in the corner, found that empty ice in the slot, peeled away against the grain after receiving the pass to give RNH some space for an uncontested one-timer were all indicative of high level hockey IQ.

Reactions: oilers'72

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Just another Kenny special. I actually thought he'd be able to contribute a bit based on his production in Philly and reputation as a decent defensive forward but nope, even worse than Devin Shore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad