Player Discussion Derick Brassard

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Don’t really love that the organization gave him #16 unless they cleared it with Benson first, considering he was wearing that number this season and played a decent number of games up with the big squad.

Sends the wrong message, especially if Benson is going to be called up at any point due to injuries / being a black ace.

It’s not like Brassard hasn’t worn other numbers before either.

Not a huge deal but it just seems a bit disrespectful to the kid.

Not blaming Brassard - he probably doesn’t even know.

On another note I thought he had a solid first game. Scored the winner and showed some nice chemistry with RNH on that “third” line.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Don’t really love that the organization gave him #16 unless they cleared it with Benson first, considering he was wearing that number this season and played a decent number of games up with the big squad.

Sends the wrong message, especially if Benson is going to be called up at any point due to injuries / being a black ace.

On another note I thought he had a solid first game. Scored the winner and showed some nice chemistry with RNH on that “third” line.
That's a great point., unless Benson approved like you say or why not 61? I'm glad they didn't give Kulak #77, that's Klefbom's ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: AddyTheWrath

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

1) I would assume that he was asked, rather than assume that he wasn't. Hockey has rituals and customs, so it would be a surprise if they "forgot" to ask.

2). The normal custom is to defer to the NHL vet for numbers. If Benson was approached, custom would be that he'd say yes, unless he was already an established NHLer and key part of the team (which he is not)

3) "Black Ace"... not sure a tweener like Benson qualifies. No disrespect intended, but that's a stretch.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I don't think you'll ever see Benson in Oiler colors again, so a non-issue. They will call up others (Holloway, Scevior) before him.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I really like Brassard's puck skills, and how many really smart plays he makes. You can tell he still has a lot of skill in his hands and retains a high level hockey sense. His skating is also pretty good from what I could see. I was pretty excited that we got him for such a pretty low cost, and so far it looks like he could really help us quite a bit.

Brassard/Nuge/Puljujarvi gives us a really good 3rd line, and that means we have 3 really good forward lines with a 4th that is nothing to sneeze at, made from the likes of McLoed/Foegele/Ryan/Shore/Kassian/Archie.

Our forward depth is as good as it's been in years, and a skillful guy like Brassard who seems to be clicking with a now healthy Nuge is really a boon to our chances of making the playoffs, and perhaps doing some damage if we make it.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Still think his style would make him a better fit with Drai. Hyman with Nuge.

Nuge had 7SOG + post last night.. imagine if that was Drai shooting from those spots.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Still think his style would make him a better fit with Drai. Hyman with Nuge.

Nuge had 7SOG + post last night.. imagine if that was Drai shooting from those spots.
Drai wouldn't have gotten the space that Nuge does because Drai is a 50 goal scorer that everyone on the ice is aware of. That said it's nice to have options because we know that Hyman and Nuge click really well too.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
1) I would assume that he was asked, rather than assume that he wasn't. Hockey has rituals and customs, so it would be a surprise if they "forgot" to ask.

2). The normal custom is to defer to the NHL vet for numbers. If Benson was approached, custom would be that he'd say yes, unless he was already an established NHLer and key part of the team (which he is not)

3) "Black Ace"... not sure a tweener like Benson qualifies. No disrespect intended, but that's a stretch.
1) Hope you're right - usually players ask the incumbent player themselves (see Bobrovsky in Florida), but that seems unlikely given that Brassard was coming from Philly and Benson is currently in California. I guess you'd assume the organization took the onus in that case.

2) No issues with me if Benson was approached about it.

3) I think a Black Ace is just someone who practices with the team in the post-season, no? If someone like Kyle Beach qualified then I'd assume Benson would be one this year, considering he played some games for us. I don't know - maybe with the newfound depth we wouldn't be calling him up, but there's still a possibility if our lineup is decimated with injury (knock on wood).

I’d almost guarantee Brassard sent Benson some money for the number. Benson im sure understands. When an NHL vet of like 10 other teams comes in and wants your number you negotiate some $$$. Bet the story comes out later as to what Brassard offered him.

If that's the case, I'm 100% fine with it. As long as Benson was notified / requested.

I don't think you'll ever see Benson in Oiler colors again, so a non-issue. They will call up others (Holloway, Scevior) before him.

Perhaps, but you never know. Regardless, it's not a great idea (IMO) to give up one of your players / prospects number to a depth guy added at the deadline without asking him.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Those first period setups would have an outsider thinking they've played together all season, not a few shifts.

You can almost read their lips on the goal Brassard goal in the celebration huddle, looked like he said "Did you get that?" and Nuge shook his head no and said "You did.". Brassard looked like he was having fun last night. I hope the solid chemistry continues to build and there's no reason why it shouldn't.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I’d almost guarantee Brassard sent Benson some money for the number. Benson im sure understands. When an NHL vet of like 10 other teams comes in and wants your number you negotiate some $$$. Bet the story comes out later as to what Brassard offered him.

Free speed skating lessons during the off season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Benson is a black ace? What on Earth. Are you his agent? ;)

Brassard was great and for once the #16 pleased me.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Those first period setups would have an outsider thinking they've played together all season, not a few shifts.

You can almost read their lips on the goal Brassard goal in the celebration huddle, looked like he said "Did you get that?" and Nuge shook his head no and said "You did.". Brassard looked like he was having fun last night. I hope the solid chemistry continues to build and there's no reason why it shouldn't.
Nice that he got a goal in his first game as odd as it was. Own goal, Sharks player deflected, and Nuge whiffed. The only trouble with the two playing with each other is that neither scores all that much at EV, that said in G/G Brassard scores at way higher rate than Nuge does. Both these guys can pass and move puck around but one of them has to be potting to be helpful. The other guy, Pulju, he ain't scoring either. heh

But Brassard still looks sharp and on the ball. Cerebral player, good anticipation, wins pucks because of it and using his body for position. He reacts to plays quicker than others do and solid 200ft player. Good pick up. The question is age and health.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yeah, who cares about Benson? seeya

Personally I like the finality of giving away his number. Kind of reinforces I don't have to see him play again. Multiple years running he ends up being a worse option than walk on players.

Benson just kind of figured as long as he was breathing he'd just eventually be gifted a position or something. His progress has been non existent and no NHL toolbox. He's 24. Time for Europe I guess.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Lol since when do teams have to clear number choices with AHL players?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I seem to remember seeing that every number he's worn in his career was currently in use with the Oilers (probably forgetting some but I know he's worn 19, 16, 10, and 25) so I'm guessing that he sent Benson some money or a watch or something to be able to use 16.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad