Player Discussion: Derick Brassard 2019-20

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The told you so crowd is really riproaring with the crow dinner, but hello....we signed Brassard as a third line center. Pump your brakes a bit. He still sucked at center...the position we needed him to be good at. Great, he's doing well on the wing. Good to see for sure, but let's not act like Trotz didn't salvage his game by moving him out of the position we signed him to play and he just suddenly 'got up to speed' because that's not what happened, at all.

I am unsure what the goal of this post is. The Islanders did not draft MDC to be a third line winger either but here we are.

If Brassard scores 20 goals this year on the wing so be it. He looks good on the wing and for a team that does not have the most talent in the world on offense I am absolutely fine with having Brassard play on the wing especially with how Bardreau has looked at center so far.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I am unsure what the goal of this post is. The Islanders did not draft MDC to be a third line winger either but here we are.

If Brassard scores 20 goals this year on the wing so be it. He looks good on the wing and for a team that does not have the most talent in the world on offense I am absolutely fine with having Brassard play on the wing especially with how Bardreau has looked at center so far.

Well, guess I'll reiterate because nothing you said is anything I argued against. What my point is, people are calling out those who criticized Brassard because they weren't patient with him. My point is those who criticized him for sucking at center are still right, because he did. Again, I'm thrilled he's playing so well on the wing and turned out to be a worthwhile signing....it just still leaves us with center dilemmas.

Just like some folks were quick to write-off Brassard, we shouldn't be quick to annoint Bardreau as a full time NHLer. Quine and Fritz have both looked like heroes in the past but in the end are still career minor leaguers.

I know when people make a post that seems critical others just want to jump down their throat, but I think i'm being pretty fair here. LL still has the challenge of finding a legit 3C for this team or a 4C if the 4th line stays broken up.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Brass has looked great on his new line as a winger....My only problem with him is that he looked like crap in the faceoff circle and that was the actual reason I was happy we signed him. The islanders in general are terrible at face-offs right now and its going to hurt special teams over the long haul.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Well, guess I'll reiterate because nothing you said is anything I argued against. What my point is, people are calling out those who criticized Brassard because they weren't patient with him. My point is those who criticized him for sucking at center are still right, because he did. Again, I'm thrilled he's playing so well on the wing and turned out to be a worthwhile signing....it just still leaves us with center dilemmas.

Just like some folks were quick to write-off Brassard, we shouldn't be quick to annoint Bardreau as a full time NHLer. Quine and Fritz have both looked like heroes in the past but in the end are still career minor leaguers.

I know when people make a post that seems critical others just want to jump down their throat, but I think i'm being pretty fair here. LL still has the challenge of finding a legit 3C for this team or a 4C if the 4th line stays broken up.
Are we sure that Brassard won't move back to Center at all this season? Its possible that it took him a few games to get acclimated here - not just that he was struggling at Center.

Right now, Bardreau is doing a competent job at filling in at the #3C spot. If that continues, great. If he slows down, gets hurt, etc. Brassard can easily go back there and I suspect he will be a lot better than his first stint. He has too long a track record at the position to think he can - all of a sudden - play wing very well but no longer play Center.

bronxirish

Oct 24, 2013
100% there is a chance he’s back at center. Writing him off as a player altogether, which some did after a handful of games, is the only thing dumber than writing him off at a position.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Are we sure that Brassard won't move back to Center at all this season? Its possible that it took him a few games to get acclimated here - not just that he was struggling at Center.

Right now, Bardreau is doing a competent job at filling in at the #3C spot. If that continues, great. If he slows down, gets hurt, etc. Brassard can easily go back there and I suspect he will be a lot better than his first stint. He has too long a track record at the position to think he can - all of a sudden - play wing very well but no longer play Center.

I hope not. It was dreadful. It's obvious the guys got a fragile mental makeup. Can't handle being traded or playing for three teams.....I would just keep him in a spot where he doesn't need to think too much and actually contributes.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Funny, this is why it's good to wait and see by the deadline what we need. Is it Toffoli or Pageau? Brassard's position might tell us the answer.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

bronxirish

Oct 24, 2013
I hope not. It was dreadful. It's obvious the guys got a fragile mental makeup. Can't handle being traded or playing for three teams.....I would just keep him in a spot where he doesn't need to think too much and actually contributes.
Wow I thought the naysayers on Brassard had taken cover and rightfully so. Can’t believe I’m going to post this again. Writing off a player after a handful of games on a new team is moronic. Similarly writing off a player’s ability to handle a position based on a handful of games on a new team is moronic.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

Looks like we will find out tonight, as he's skating as the 3rd line center today.

Reactions: bronxirish

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Are the Islanders with Trotz at the helm going to be the destination for veteran middle six tweeners to revive their careers on a 1 year deal?

Kudos to Brass, got comfortable with the new team relatively quickly. Exceeded expectations so far.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Wow I thought the naysayers on Brassard had taken cover and rightfully so. Can’t believe I’m going to post this again. Writing off a player after a handful of games on a new team is moronic. Similarly writing off a player’s ability to handle a position based on a handful of games on a new team is moronic.

Can't believe your going to post it again either, because I actually don't care what your opinion is.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
That line is riding the wave, lets hope it continues! We are seeing the maturation of AB right now, I would have to think some of that could be his relationship with fellow QMJHL alum DB.
In any event this is what a true coach can do DB wasn't getting it done and BT put him in a position to succeed, putting him on the wing.He and his newfound line mates are killing it! I'm happy for him as he was being destroyed on this board congratulation to DB.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Still very early into the season, but id love to see him resigned for a couple more seasons. Hes a great fit in the middle 6. Seems to love it here. He fits like a glove.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad