Player Discussion: Derick Brassard 2019-20

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Brassard Update:

so we know where we are with the complainers.

1. He's played a whopping 8 games with us
2. In those 8 games, he averages 13 min 45 sec of ice time (TOI)
3. In that amount of ice-time, he has 59 Face-off wins
4. His FO percentage is 52.7%

To put this in perspective. Sidney Crosby leads the league with 126 faceoff wins. The next highest is Ryan O'Reilly with 108 - Barkov has 86. Those guys take top 3 faceoffs and these guys are ALL averaging OVER 19 min per game.

There are NO third liners that even come close to Brassard's numbers in the FO circle. The way I look at it is that Brassard is a better version of Zenon Knopka, minus the fighting part
Hopefully Brassard will score a few goals, like Konopka did!

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Wasn't last year's team almost entirely Snow players? Lou did bring in Trotz, but Snow never had the option to pay the type of money they paid for Barry and could only afford the dregs that we were stuck with.

If the Isles are going to be led by Barzal, Lee, Bailey, Nelson, Cizikas, Eberle, Pulock, Mayfield, Pelech, Beuvillier, then I don't think it's unreasonable to tip the cap to Snow for at least not leaving us in a pile of **** after he was fired. Yea, he was certainly a flawed GM whose biggest failures were not getting us a good coach (but, again, not easy to get a good coach when you can't pay any money) and not getting value for Tavares, but the team we're watching on the ice is largely the core he left behind.
Not making changes is a positive change sometimes.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Wasn't last year's team almost entirely Snow players? Lou did bring in Trotz, but Snow never had the option to pay the type of money they paid for Barry and could only afford the dregs that we were stuck with.

If the Isles are going to be led by Barzal, Lee, Bailey, Nelson, Cizikas, Eberle, Pulock, Mayfield, Pelech, Beuvillier, then I don't think it's unreasonable to tip the cap to Snow for at least not leaving us in a pile of **** after he was fired. Yea, he was certainly a flawed GM whose biggest failures were not getting us a good coach (but, again, not easy to get a good coach when you can't pay any money) and not getting value for Tavares, but the team we're watching on the ice is largely the core he left behind.

LL even was quoted giving credit to Garth saying that he took over a good core and a decent farm system. Problem is on HF boards, LL is only a god when he says something people agree with, and he's old and out of touch with the modern game when he says something they disagree with.

Garth Snow's fatal flaw was the Doug Weight experiment (which many posters here were okay with). It makes sense that an ex-player turned GM would be loyal to a flaw, because he is used to that comraderie. That got him axed and rightfully so. LL doesn't operate that way.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Brassard Update:

To put this in perspective. Sidney Crosby leads the league with 126 faceoff wins. The next highest is Ryan O'Reilly with 108 - Barkov has 86. Those guys take top 3 faceoffs and these guys are ALL averaging OVER 19 min per game.

There are NO third liners that even come close to Brassard's numbers in the FO circle. The way I look at it is that Brassard is a better version of Zenon Knopka, minus the fighting part
I think you should complete the picture for us though. If for instance he was winning at just a 48% clip, he would have 54 face off wins. So, while gaining us 5 additional faceoff wins at 52.7% over the course of 8 games, our third line center has produced zero goals, 1 assist, a -5 and a 42% CF. Not much of a tradeoff IMO.

Now, I'm that last person to dismiss FO wins as a metric, but I can keep them in perspective, and whatever the marginal benefits of those 4 or 5 extra FO wins are, they hardly make up for his miserable play in every other area of the game so far. But it is 'so far', and perhaps his play on the rest of the ice surface will improve in the Trotz system as he becomes more comfortable with it, though his year + trend line is not good.

I will say it again, there is a reason he has been with 4 different teams in a year. Btw, where did you get your stats? HR has him at 57 FO wins and 51.7%.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Brassard Update:

He's doing better than Filippula, I'll give him that...

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think you should complete the picture for us though. If for instance he was winning at just a 48% clip, he would have 54 face off wins. So, while gaining us 5 additional faceoff wins at 52.7% over the course of 8 games, our third line center has produced zero goals, 1 assist, a -5 and a 42% CF. Not much of a tradeoff IMO.

Now, I'm that last person to dismiss FO wins as a metric, but I can keep them in perspective, and whatever the marginal benefits of those 4 or 5 extra FO wins are, they hardly make up for his miserable play in every other area of the game so far. But it is 'so far', and perhaps his play on the rest of the ice surface will improve in the Trotz system as he becomes more comfortable with it, though his year + trend line is not good.

I will say it again, there is a reason he has been with 4 different teams in a year. Btw, where did you get your stats? HR has him at 57 FO wins and 51.7%.

I got the data from Yahoo and puckbase

I think the team has a certain goal/vision which they are focus on moving towards and I'm getting the impression that 3rd line centre is a role they do not want to acquire through FA or trade. I think they are signing guys like Flip and Brassard to be a stopgap until who ever they have in mind in ready....

In saying that...I don't believe Brassard was here to score goals..I think he's here to teach others how to win faceoffs. He's also a good enough player to teach the younger kids some pointers and be a vet mentor. Some skills...pass them on, then he'll go to another team.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I got the data from Yahoo and puckbase

I think the team has a certain goal/vision which they are focus on moving towards and I'm getting the impression that 3rd line centre is a role they do not want to acquire through FA or trade. I think they are signing guys like Flip and Brassard to be a stopgap until who ever they have in mind in ready....

In saying that...I don't believe Brassard was here to score goals..I think he's here to teach others how to win faceoffs. He's also a good enough player to teach the younger kids some pointers and be a vet mentor. Some skills...pass them on, then he'll go to another team.
Seems like a stretch, but ok. Just let's not be confusing Derrick Brassard with Joe Nieuwendyk.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Seems like a stretch, but ok. Just let's not be confusing Derrick Brassard with Joe Nieuwendyk.
Ha, funny reference. No worries there.

I think by game 20 (which is likely the minimum anyone should expect him to get), he will start to fit naturally and be well worth the 1.2 he's making. I'd love for him to get a goal tomorrow night to get the ball rolling. With Casey back, I think the team will settle back into lines that help Brass' production. Hockey lines usually don't gel in the first 8- 10 games.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
Garth Snow's biggest flaws were tied to the whole Wang era in NYI history. It was filled with nepotism and Garth also played into that (look at who he brought in behind the bench).

However, you can not knock him for the group of players that he started to bring in.

The main issues stemmed around the nepotism that seemed to fester and grow throughout the last 14 years or so.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He looks better because he is getting more time and isn't playing a shutdown role. Could be a classic case of a top six guy not being able to play well as a bottom six player. Nelson is the same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad