Player Discussion: Derick Brassard 2019-20

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Well, Brassard hasn't scored a goal since February 8th, which is ridiculous for a player getting his minutes and on the PP.

I am thinking that maybe if we bring discussing him back to the front page, he finally gets off the snide.

Of course, full disclosure, I am also thinking fondly about the days when he is no longer on the Isles.

Come on "Big Game Brass", you can do it!

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Well, Brassard hasn't scored a goal since February 8th, which is ridiculous for a player getting his minutes and on the PP.

I am thinking that maybe if we bring discussing him back to the front page, he finally gets off the snide.

Of course, full disclosure, I am also thinking fondly about the days when he is no longer on the Isles.

Come on "Big Game Brass", you can do it!
He has 3 points, +2 and over 50% in face offs and he has 10 shots in 4 games vs the caps. Idk what else you want from our lowest paid player lol He is doing what he should be. Eberle and a few other could be doing more

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
He has 3 points, +2 and over 50% in face offs and he has 10 shots in 4 games vs the caps. Idk what else you want from our lowest paid player lol He is doing what he should be. Eberle and a few other could be doing more

How about scoring one goal since early February?

You want to talk about shots? Brassard has taken 17 shots in the playoffs and has zero (0) goals. He has taken 49 shots and scored one (1) goal in three years of playoff games. That is crazy.

Brassard was under 45% for faceoffs in the playoffs before tonight's 5-1 game fluke, so let's not act like he was doing well on that end.

He was drifting to nowhere, on a prime goal scoring opportunity, when Beau sent him a pass with a chance to tie it near the end.

I hope he turns it around but the guy is practically useless offensively for someone getting PP minutes.

Pay doesn't mean anything at this point in the season.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
How about scoring one goal since early February?

You want to talk about shots? Brassard has taken 17 shots in the playoffs and has zero (0) goals. He has taken 49 shots and scored one (1) goal in three years of playoff games. That is crazy.

Brassard was under 45% for faceoffs in the playoffs before tonight's 5-1 game fluke, so let's not act like he was doing well on that end.

He was drifting to nowhere, on a prime goal scoring opportunity, when Beau sent him a pass with a chance to tie it near the end.

I hope he turns it around but the guy is practically useless offensively for someone getting PP minutes.

Pay doesn't mean anything at this point in the season.

Shots create rebounds. He is doing more good than bad in terms of +/-. Wether it was before or after tonight’s game doesnt matter, he is over 50% on face offs and it isnt a fluke, he is very good at face offs.

Hate to tell you but just because it’s the playoffs doesn’t matter lol everyone elevates their game so yeah his pay matters always. He is expected to chip offensively every once in a while and he has done just that. 3 points in 8 games at 1.2M is about right.

We don’t need to agree but I’m not going to point fingers at Brass. He has been going 100mph all series wether his production is where you want it to be or not. You get what you pay for.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Shots create rebounds. He is doing more good than bad in terms of +/-. Wether it was before or after tonight’s game doesnt matter, he is over 50% on face offs and it isnt a fluke, he is very good at face offs.

Hate to tell you but just because it’s the playoffs doesn’t matter lol everyone elevates their game so yeah his pay matters always. He is expected to chip offensively every once in a while and he has done just that. 3 points in 8 games at 1.2M is about right.

We don’t need to agree but I’m not going to point fingers at Brass. He has been going 100mph all series wether his production is where you want it to be or not. You get what you pay for.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Brassard has been under 50% on FOs in five (5) of eight (8) games and in one of those games that he was over, he was just 1-0, which is negligible. He had a fluke game today (5-1 on FOs) to skew a very small sample size for now (18-17 FOs). But the fact remains that in the majority of the playoff games he hasn't been over 50% on FOs or typically taken a meaningful number, least of all in the defensive zone.

Brassard was solid during the regular season for the Isles on FOs, but he took significantly less draws than usual in his career after being moved off center due to his deficiencies and struggles. Brassard is a career 48.4% player on FOs, which is not my definition of very good at FOs.

With a 58.0 oSz% to 42.0 dSZ%, I would hope he has a positive +/-, for whatever that is worth, and he is still just +1 and only ahead of Cizikas on the team, who faces much tougher defensive assignments. In terms of Corsi he is right there at the bottom alongside Uncle Leo, while Fenwick seems to favor Uncle Leo significantly in comparison to Brassard. That isn't great. I feel bad for JGP, who is being saddled with Brassard and a mix of Uncle Leo and Knuckles.

Again, I really don't understand what his pay has to do with his complete failure to score a single goal in 21 games since February. Brassard is constantly put in a position to succeed offensively, with PP time and abundant offensive zone starts, yet he has been downright miserable. Zero goals in 20+ games is simply indefensible.

I really hope Brassard snaps out of it and turns it around soon. I would like to see him succeed and help the Isles. But I see a player contributing as little as possible, with a few bad turnovers mixed in with sheltered defensive minutes, while being given PP time and solid opportunities in the other team's offensive zone.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Brassard is a plug. He had one good stretch last halloween. That's it. He'll be lucky if he gets a 1M contract to play another teams bottom 6.

Now we need to fill that roster spot with someone that can be part of this teams long term future. Bellows has been seasoned enough in the AHL that it's time to Sink or Swim.

Wahlstrom could use more time in the AHL but if he earns the spot out of camp then put him on the line. They both showed flashes at the NHL level and while it's not a "Development League" it's also not a Retirement League, give a young guy who is hungry with pedigree the chance over a has-been. JMO

Reactions: danteipp

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Brassard is a plug. He had one good stretch last halloween. That's it. He'll be lucky if he gets a 1M contract to play another teams bottom 6.

Now we need to fill that roster spot with someone that can be part of this teams long term future. Bellows has been seasoned enough in the AHL that it's time to Sink or Swim.

Wahlstrom could use more time in the AHL but if he earns the spot out of camp then put him on the line. They both showed flashes at the NHL level and while it's not a "Development League" it's also not a Retirement League, give a young guy who is hungry with pedigree the chance over a has-been. JMO

You hope, that is. I'm almost positive MDC will take Brassard's spot.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah he has been a non factor this playoffs, playing to his discount salary. Other than a short period when he looked good with Brock and Beau on a line, it may be time to sit him. Let him reset, if there is a game 6. Hopefully not, but Knuckles probably deserves to be put back in.

Reactions: danteipp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad