Derek Stepan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Derek Stepan! Only 25 years old. He's looked like a top 3 forward on the team next to Nash and Zuke.

So glad to have this guy locked up.

pjr378

Oct 12, 2014
Yonkers, New York
Did anyone think he didn't look good after that hit? After the dental work and surgery it might've been best to let him stay in the dressing room.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
2 points in his last 8 games. Yuck.

They said he lost weight with the teeth thing, and I hope that's it and he recovers.

Whiskers*

I'm sick of Step having to get Krider going! Krider is one of the most overrated players this team had seen in 10 years and Jesper Fast does not belong in the top six.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
He was with Nash and Zuccarello before tonight. Step has to get Step going.

Well, I mean it doesn't help that Kreider looks like a shell of himself. Stepan actually looks pretty good out there, he looks faster to me this season. When Kreider is coasting and doing a lot of nothing it doesn't help anyone.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
2 points in his last 8 games. Yuck.

They said he lost weight with the teeth thing, and I hope that's it and he recovers.

Playing with serious dental surgery and a Rick Nash who cant put the puck in the net for whatever reason. Him and Nash both look good on the ice. The scoring will come.

Whiskers*

Your top center is Stepan AIAEC. He does way more for this team than Brass does!

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Your top center is Stepan AIAEC. He does way more for this team than Brass does!

It's far from being a no-brainer. Steps is a better 2-way guy, but Brassard is pretty dynamic offensively (and one hell of a playoff performer). Brassard's production from last season, last season's playoffs, and so far this season has been great.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
It's far from being a no-brainer. Steps is a better 2-way guy, but Brassard is pretty dynamic offensively (and one hell of a playoff performer). Brassard's production from last season, last season's playoffs, and so far this season has been great.

If brass would just shoot more he would be so much better
Edit Him and Step

Last edited:

Whiskers*

Stepan goes against top lines and top defenders every game because his job is to shut them down. Look who Stepan is playing with, neither one of those guys are top 6 forwards on many teams. Kreider is so overrated and Jesper fast is NOT a top 6 forward in the NHL. Period!!

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Brassard is better offensively. Stepan is an elite penalty killer. On their games, they're about equal possession players.

They're dead even IMO.

He's not better offensively. Unless you mean 'his hands are better' or 'has a better shot'.

Brassard is like Gaborik offensively in terms of consistency (not actual point totals or skill/ability, obviously), he'll explode and then go cold and cycle repeat.

Stepan is traditionally very consistent yet modest point producer. His PPG career and in recent history is better than Brassard (RS). He was on pace for 66 points last season.

Brassard is a stud in the PO, but overall Stepan is probably better offensively, or at least, the better more consistent point producer.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
He's not better offensively. Unless you mean 'his hands are better' or 'has a better shot'.

Brassard is like Gaborik offensively in terms of consistency (not actual point totals or skill/ability, obviously), he'll explode and then go cold and cycle repeat.

Stepan is traditionally very consistent yet modest point producer. His PPG career and in recent history is better than Brassard (RS). He was on pace for 66 points last season.

Brassard is a stud in the PO, but overall Stepan is probably better offensively, or at least, the better more consistent point producer.

Stepan is not immune to prolonged droughts. I remember an interview with him last season where he freely admitted to long stretches of struggle every season.

Last season he had a stretch where he did not record a point in 12 consecutive games, and had another period during the same season where he recorded only 2 points in 8 games (these two stretches do not overlap with each other). That's 2 stretches where he recorded a total of 2 points. When added together, those 2 stretches represent about one quarter of the regular season. 2 points!

Go back to the 2013-14 Playoffs and you'll find that he went 7 straight games with 0 points and 1 point in 9 games (these stretches do overlap).

I'm sure if you go back to earlier seasons, you'll find similar droughts.

Just wanted to point out that Stepan is not immune to slumps and regularly suffers from them.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Stepan is not immune to prolonged droughts. I remember an interview with him last season where he freely admitted to long stretches of struggle every season.

Last season he had a stretch where he did not record a point in 12 consecutive games, and had another period during the same season where he recorded only 2 points in 8 games (these two stretches do not overlap with each other). That's 2 stretches where he recorded a total of 2 points. When added together, those 2 stretches represent about one quarter of the regular season. 2 points!

Go back to the 2013-14 Playoffs and you'll find that he went 7 straight games with 0 points and 1 point in 9 games (these stretches do overlap).

I'm sure if you go back to earlier seasons, you'll find similar droughts.

Just wanted to point out that Stepan is not immune to slumps and regularly suffers from them.

Well, everyone slumps I guess, esp in the low scoring era we are in now. I guess we can look at in how many of their games they recorded at least a point, but I don't know of anywhere to find that information. I would think if you go back to Brassard's acquisition date, up until now Stepan would be more consistent somewhat easily. When I say consistent, I again mean in how may games did both players have a point or more.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Well, everyone slumps I guess, esp in the low scoring era we are in now. I guess we can look at in how many of their games they recorded at least a point, but I don't know of anywhere to find that information. I would think if you go back to Brassard's acquisition date, up until now Stepan would be more consistent somewhat easily. When I say consistent, I again mean in how may games did both players have a point or more.

The info can be found on the Rangers NHL website, but I don't think either one of us want to sift through the game logs, lol.

Stepan is definitely not the model of consistency he is sometimes painted out to be. But when he's hot, he a real big asset.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Brassard is far more gifted offensively. Stepan produces points seemingly out of thin air which I guess is a gift all its own. He sure isn't doing it with his hands, his speed, or his shot because he doesn't have any of that. I'd bet Brassard out-produces him this year.

And for all the flak Brassard gets for being an exploder offensively and having periods where he disappears, Stepan also has long stretches where he's borderline worthless mixed with PPG stretches. I don't see them as being much different in that regard.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Actually, hockey-reference can do that for you.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=goals

Stepan's played more games though so you have to do games with a point / games played. I was wrong, It's very close, slight edge to Stepan though.

.513 Games with a point/Games played for Brass
.526 Games with a point/Games played for Step

5v5 points per 60 over that span

Brass: 1.8
Step 2.2

Playoffs
Brassard 40P in 54GP
Stepan 41P in 80 GP

Brass has 1 less point in 26 less games. Crazy.

I believe Stepan will continue to be the better point producer in the regular season. Hope Brassard continues to **** **** up come PO time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad