Derek Stepan Sucks (UPDATE: Does Not Suck - 03/07/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Never any confirmation that it was racial. In fact, I think it was confirmed that it wasn’t. More likely he called someone a *********** or something like that.

The Rangers Have a Tony DeAngelo Problem

“There is plenty more that hasn’t reached the mainstream. I spoke to a well-connected OHL employee, and he remarked that coaches across the league went through a “daily struggle” dealing with DeAngelo; the words “gong show” were used. ”

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The Rangers Have a Tony DeAngelo Problem

“There is plenty more that hasn’t reached the mainstream. I spoke to a well-connected OHL employee, and he remarked that coaches across the league went through a “daily struggle” dealing with DeAngelo; the words “gong show” were used. ”

That article is over a year old. It seems like the fans think he's doing a good job. Has there been anything this year? It's bad enough people freak out about actors' political beliefs. I guess the pc sensitive crowd will start going after athletes now. I couldn't possible care less if DeAngelo votes for Trump or Dinero continues to say "f*** 'em" every chance he gets. Doesn't change their entertainment value to me.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That article is over a year old. It seems like the fans think he's doing a good job. Has there been anything this year? It's bad enough people freak out about actors' political beliefs. I guess the pc sensitive crowd will start going after athletes now. I couldn't possible care less if DeAngelo votes for Trump or Dinero continues to say "**** 'em" every chance he gets. Doesn't change their entertainment value to me.
“This all wouldn’t be as noticeable if DeAngelo didn’t have a past of using racial and/or homophobic slurs in juniors (although it’s vital to note that there have been none that we know of since).
It’s more than just the political ideologies that complicate DeAngelo. He has received discipline on two occasions for abusing officials, one of which came at the NHL level. He’s been followed by red flags in every league he’s played in, ”

year old or not you reach a point in management where you know this information and you make a call if you want that individual to represent your brand going forward.

Craig Morgan on his podcast has frequently referred to DeAngelo as “not being a nice person”. Like it or not there were and are red flags about DeAngelo as a person. He’s a hell of a offensive player. Go back to his draft year and you’LP see my positive posts about him. Heck even go to my posts on the trade with Tampa. I was the guy here touting this players skill. We moved him for other reasons. Case closed.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I get that he might not be a nice guy. I was just asking if there'd been anything since that article. People do mature. You'd think some of these guys would realize either through experience and maturity or from a good agent and/or veteran players mentoring them that they need to get their shit together or they'll be pissing away millions of dollars and a career in the NHL. If he has kept himself out of trouble over a year, maybe he's turning the corner. Who knows but like people have said about players in the past like Domi and Roenik, maybe they're jerks off the ice. I've been managing people since about 20 years old and I can tell you there have been many, many people that I couldn't stand but still appreciated their efforts at work. On the other end I have friends I wouldn't work with and I'm friends with people that were horrible employees in the past. Sure it's easier to manage a Shane Doan where pretty much everybody in the organization and most of the competition like him but it certainly isn't necessary.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I get that he might not be a nice guy. I was just asking if there'd been anything since that article. People do mature. You'd think some of these guys would realize either through experience and maturity or from a good agent and/or veteran players mentoring them that they need to get their **** together or they'll be pissing away millions of dollars and a career in the NHL. If he has kept himself out of trouble over a year, maybe he's turning the corner. Who knows but like people have said about players in the past like Domi and Roenik, maybe they're jerks off the ice. I've been managing people since about 20 years old and I can tell you there have been many, many people that I couldn't stand but still appreciated their efforts at work. On the other end I have friends I wouldn't work with and I'm friends with people that were horrible employees in the past. Sure it's easier to manage a Shane Doan where pretty much everybody in the organization and most of the competition like him but it certainly isn't necessary.
I don’t follow the Rangers that closely. I just had read the stories and heard that there was drama. Obviously enough that Chayka was willing to move him (and he seems intent on acquiring as many RD as possible). Hope he turns it around because he’s a very skilled player.

wacko2

Dec 28, 2019
various
So our coach who was convicted of running a gambling ring and paying off the mafia is a good character guy?

2nd Chance and forgiveness doesn't apply to everyone according to some holier than thou posters.

Little bit of DeAngelo and Domi would look good on this team most nights.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
2nd Chance and forgiveness doesn't apply to everyone according to some holier than thou posters.

Little bit of DeAngelo and Domi would look good on this team most nights.

We were the team that gave DeAngelo a second chance. He called the ref something bad enough to be ejected from a game. I love the kid's game, I love the compete. I have also known people that have similar character attributes, and the people I have known were very negative when things got rough. Maybe Tony is different, maybe the trade to NYR helped him grow out of his personality issues. Either way, we got him for a 2nd, and I believe we got more value from him and a 2nd. I have a gut feeling he wore out his welcome here, or that him and Domi was too much here.

A team is about skill+chemistry. We lack a little bit of both right now.

Reactions: wacko2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad