Derek Stepan Sucks (UPDATE: Does Not Suck - 03/07/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would be against almost any deal to acquire a winger if we have to pay 5+ and term. Wingers are the least valuable, easiest to replace, and we have enough guys in the pipeline with the potential to pick up our scoring. We will always be a low budget team so the money matters. I would spend the money to get a stop gap C better then Richardson but maybe not what we would have to pay to get an RNH level player. Draft BPA, keep our 5 D, sign Raanta, and let the youth develop. We need cohesion and development more then major changes this off season.

Chayka has made some nice moves that have worked out but he might have been a little lucky too. I say that because of Chychrun/Keller/Raanta/Stepan, and at the same time deAngelo/Duclair looking poor after their trades, Verby getting old this year. Ryan McDonough got lucky his first year, then went on to make bad deals. Any GM won't always get the best end of a trade, things tend to even out. Chayka is young and inexperienced, he could fall into this trap.
Bingo! Cohesion, development and PATIENCE. So far, Chayka has stayed the course, let's hope AB doesn't get antsy and upset the apple cart.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Wait for teams to fall out of the playoffs early who may want a retool, look at teams in cap hell and look at teams that want to make big move (Kolvachuk) but need to make cap to do it. These are the teams who will sell a winger for cheaper than they are worth. Teams that come to mind:
Minnesota
St. Louis
SJ
Dallas
Pittsburgh

Im sure there are more but looking at that list, I think we would have the best chance pulling a nice winger from Pitt or Minnesota. I also dont hate the idea of bringing back Boedker. I actually think he may fit the system well and maybe Tochhet does his whole whisperer routine to get the kid to shoot the damn puck. We may be even able to draw a pick or second piece for taking on that contract. SJ has to start focusong on getting younger.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I can’t name one single player on the Suns.

I know the DBacks still have Goldschmidt. If I tried hard enough I might remember the name of that ex Dodgers pitcher they have now. That’s it.

I recently read the Cardinals now have Sam bradford. I know Fitz was undecided recently. Not sure what happened there. And Honey Badger might still be around. I know zero other players.
Back story: 4 or 5 years ago, Ryan McDonough took over as GM, made a few moves, hired Jeff Hornacek as the coach and the Suns won 48 games that year versus 20 something wins the year before, just missed the playoffs. Looked like a turn around coming, and McDonough thought it was because of how smart his moves were versus what really happened which was lightning in a bottle. McDonough made more major changes the next summer and it has been down hill ever since.

My point is that Chayka has made what look like good moves, working out in our favor so far, in spite of our record. I think he is fortunate with his moves and that this won't always be the case. The minute he thinks he is smarter then another GM, he could make a major mistake because of his inexperience. I hope we stay the course and don't make a major move, trade our 1st round pick, or take on a winger with term or big money.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’d have thought about doing Boedker for a 2021 7th rounder maybe a month or two ago. He’s got 15pts in his last 18gp though, so I doubt SJ is looking to dump him anymore.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I’d have thought about doing Boedker for a 2021 7th rounder maybe a month or two ago. He’s got 15pts in his last 18gp though, so I doubt SJ is looking to dump him anymore.

I think I suggested Boedker for Panik a month and a half ago. Now both players are killing it, go figure :biglaugh:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Good for Boeds. Eriksson has been BAD for Vancouver, but could it be worth the gamble. I cant imagine he would cost too much to aquire and if he can bounce back we could have 2 solid years of him. Huge risk, but I almost like the gamble with him more than signing a JVR or the like. 3 more years at 6mil, his contract would be ending by the time we need to start giving out some big raises.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I like Panik more than Boedker as a winger that can play both sides in the top 3 lines and adds a physical element.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I like Panik more than Boedker as a winger that can play both sides in the top 3 lines and adds a physical element.

When Panik is cold, he at least brings some size. When Boedker is cold, he has passenger-itis. I say this as someone who liked Boedker more than most.
I have been very surprised at Panik's play. More than happy with the trade, and I really thought Duke was going to have a bounce back year with us. Having said that, Panik can not be your first line RW. We need an upgrade.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't like who we have to trade for a 1st line wing. We need to draft one. I know Dahlin has to go #1, but the Coyotes would be better off as a team if they chose #2-4 and got both BPA and filled their most glaring need.

Reactions: cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't like who we have to trade for a 1st line wing. We need to draft one. I know Dahlin has to go #1, but the Coyotes would be better off as a team if they chose #2-4 and got both BPA and filled their most glaring need.
We should always draft BPA. I agree, we shouldn't give up the assets needed for a 1st line wing. C is a more pressing issue and wingers are the easiest to develop.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How in the world is a winger our most glaring need? What? Clearly what we need most is a 1st line center (none of those in this draft), followed by elite level talent (Dahlin for sure, and maybe Svechnikov and/or Zadina). D are much more valuable than wingers. Dahlin is a much better prospect than Svechnikov. There’s only one sure-shot elite level, slam dunk star player in this draft. That’s our biggest need.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I don't agree that Stepan sucks. He might not be flashy by any means but he's one of the few forwards I'd want on the ice if I had to pick one in a late-game situation.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I don't agree that Stepan sucks. He might not be flashy by any means but he's one of the few forwards I'd want on the ice if I had to pick one in a late-game situation.

I think this threads was for the reverse jinx someone attempted for a while back in the old days.

You are not the only one to think Stepan has that kind of reliability the team in general seems to be lacking in.

I just wish he hadn't turned 50 and so slow. :naughty:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You and RT think a like. A couple of years ago I might agree with you, but not today, as we have better faster players than him. In all honesty, suck is the wrong word to use. RT puts him in a position to fail. Stepan does not have the talent or speed to line up against other teams top lines. Stepan looks much better centering a third line with lesser talented opposition.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Of all the problems on the roster, you've picked a weird player to fixate on.
Stepan has been okay. Not great, but okay. Let him be Rucchin. That's fine. Hopefully Dvo and Hayton are slowly pushing him down the lineup. Stepan's usage is one of the least baffling things occurring here.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You and RT think a like. A couple of years ago I might agree with you, but not today, as we have better faster players than him. In all honesty, suck is the wrong word to use. RT puts him in a position to fail. Stepan does not have the talent or speed to line up against other teams top lines. Stepan looks much better centering a third line with lesser talented opposition.
Stepan is still our best C on D, that is why he gets TOI,.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Stepan is like the Swiss-army knife of players. He's a center who can penalty kill, play on the power play, play a defensive shut-down role, and puts up some offense, and can take face-offs. Granted some of these roles he might be more of the toothpick or tweezer level of contraptions on the knife, but the point is that if Tocchet needs some one for just about anything, he can fit Stepan into that line and it'll be more cohesive than many other options. It's what's allowing him to play up and down the entire lineup whereas some guys need to be top 6, or others who are absolute black-holes on offense, he at least can fill in until you find a more dedicated tool.

The plan has always been for him to mentor the young guys as they attempt to hone their skills on the top lines while he corkscrews his way down the line-up, yet remains a fixture. It makes sense that some one who fill in so many roles would get more ice-time, and it's probably less about him getting the ice-time versus some one else taking that time away from him. I assume he'll be a more permanent fixture in the bottom 6 once Dvorak, Schmaltz, and Hayton have fully ensconced themselves in the top 6 as viable centers.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Of all the problems on the roster, you've picked a weird player to fixate on.
Stepan has been okay. Not great, but okay. Let him be Rucchin. That's fine. Hopefully Dvo and Hayton are slowly pushing him down the lineup. Stepan's usage is one of the least baffling things occurring here.
I wish he would be Rucchin. We all said he had a terrible year last year, now you are saying he is okay yet is playing no better than last year. Stepan gets more TOI than any forward on this team. For me, it's one of the most baffling things occurring here. Stepan is suppose to be one of the leaders, but he sure isn't showing it. You guys are complaining about OEL, Kessel, who both are outplaying Stepan by a wide margin, yet you give Stepan a pass. Stepan is not playing up to his contract. I'm done talking about Stepan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->