Player Discussion Derek Stepan (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2010

May 23, 2011

Not sure what's up but I can see why this would be hard. May 9th is way too long for a newborn if you can control it. Not sure why its so long but as someone with a kid on the way I can completely understand wanting this. Lots of military families go through it but clearly Stepan at the time of trade wasn't expecting this length of time without being able to see his partner. Bet it has impacted his play a bit too.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Honestly, I wouldn't be against just letting the guy go home if that's what he'd prefer. No point staying up here if his heart is back in Arizona. We're capable of replacing him.
Would that mean he terminates his contract or that he is put on a leave of absence while we try to trade him?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Honestly, I wouldn't be against just letting the guy go home if that's what he'd prefer. No point staying up here if his heart is back in Arizona. We're capable of replacing him.

upload_2021-2-7_15-12-22.png

Reactions: xVolchenkov

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
sure if he wants to terminate his contract...i doubt he wants to though

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I wonder if his 2020 bonus is in any way tied to not retiring or bailing on his contact. He could get hammered in escrow... it could be more than $500G.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Not sure what's up but I can see why this would be hard. May 9th is way too long for a newborn if you can control it. Not sure why its so long but as someone with a kid on the way I can completely understand wanting this. Lots of military families go through it but clearly Stepan at the time of trade wasn't expecting this length of time without being able to see his partner. Bet it has impacted his play a bit too.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if there are other situations like this. Fans forget that players are people too. COVID has been hard on the mental health of everyone. It doesn't matter if they make millions.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if there are other situations like this. Fans forget that players are people too. COVID has been hard on the mental health of everyone. It doesn't matter if they make millions.
Except fans are not blaming Stepan at all. All players will eventually decline. It's Dorion using Garrioch to shift the blame for his stupid trade on Stepan and his family.

First he trades for a washed up player without even looking into his personal situation nor talking to him. Then he shifts the blame for the trade not working out on him. f***ing coward.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If doesn't matter if they make millions, but it should be noted that if being compared to the rest of society, he'd have no choice but to show up to work to get paid regardless of circumstances or risks to physical and mental health. He deserves empathy and an attempt at accomodation that makes sense for the Senators, but if they can't make that work, he should not be given a free paid pass to go home.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If doesn't matter if they make millions, but it should be noted that if being compared to the rest of society, he'd have no choice but to show up to work to get paid regardless of circumstances or risks to physical and mental health. He deserves empathy and an attempt at accomodation that makes sense for the Senators, but if they can't make that work, he should not be given a free paid pass to go home.

I completely agree with you.

That's sort of my point. We all have to keep working through this. My performance at work isn't always as good as it was before covid, but I have to persevere. The same goes for Stepan.

Reactions: Gesus

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
LA just activated a bunch of players from their taxi squad.

They are carrying 14 forwards only 12 are playing.
Maybe something is happening with them?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Would Dorion not have talked to Stepan about the implications for his family? Or, did Stepan change his mind?

Something seems odd here.

I take it the May 8th date might have something to do with his kids being in school - that's a guess.

Regardless, the Yotes were in a cap bind, and Ottawa should have received an asset to get Arizona's butt out of a jam.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Would Dorion not have talked to Stepan about the implications for his family? Or, did Stepan change his mind?

I take it the May 8th date might have something to do with his kids being in school - that's a guess.

Regardless, the Yotes were in a cap bind, and Ottawa should have received an asset to get Arizona's butt out of a jam.

my guess is Stepan was told he’d be on the 1st line with Jimmy and now he’s on the 4th with no PP time hes not going to have a year that’ll change his stats line and raise his salary so why tough it out?

If he was getting a point a game and he was looking at his next contract going way up and the difference might be million of Dallas to his family he might tough it out. But the way the gas RW going he’s looking at a small Derek Brassard type of bottom like contract and not worth it to be in Ottawa lol things being equal

Reactions: JackieDaytona

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Sad situation for Stepan. Clearly, this is a personal issue. He was happy to come here. But we don't know what is going on behind the scenes in Arizona. Maybe his wife is having a hard time. Post partum. I mean, he isn't the first player to have a wife give birth during a season. But we saw the ramifications for Rask during the bubble and he GTFO. Should Dorion have known? He isn't a psychologist. Stepan was happy to come here, slowly understood the ramifications, and here we are.

Shit situation all around. But fact of the matter is even a happy Stepan was going to be pushed out by our young guys, which is ultimately what management wants the young guys to do. So what about the 2nd, this team has cupboards overflowing with players and draft picks galore still

Reactions: TheDebater

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

I think there was a lot of talk that made him think COVID19 would be done with soon, and vaccines would roll out in the NHL, etc. I also think he may have thought his wife would follow, but maybe got cold feet later. It's anyone's guess.

Definitely a shit place to be without family...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
More obvious than ever .. Dorion got fleeced again.
1. Waive him .. if there are any takers great
2. Let him fly home while Dorion tries to move him
We’re gonna do the whole song and dance where Brown is at first going to struggle to take step as job but then in....4 days brown will have shown DJ he’s ready and will play and stepan will be scratched and back home

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad