Injury Report: Derek Stepan Broken Jaw Part II

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
If we make the finals game 2, you would start Talbot? Did I read that right? Come on Bern. You can't believe that. What message does that send to the team?

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
They both sucked, mostly cause of the lack of sustained team effort resulting into too many Habs chances.

That's not the point.

These guys are human.
They get tired.

One game to get a fresh Lundqvist would have been better than the half a game.

Last night was an aberration. I expect us to kick Monty's ass tom.
However, I am concerned about the Kings.

The point is moot now.
While I continue to have every confidence in Talbot, Hank to play game 6 is the obvious call.

If we make the finals (as reasonably may be expected), and win the opener, we should still give Talbot that 2nd full game.

Yeah, I know you guys want to go another way, fine.
But a rested Hank is better than an unrested one.
That logic cannot be denied.

The finals don't start until next Weds. That means that if the Rangers close it out tomorrow they would have 5 whole days off. Even if it goes 7 Henrik would have 3 days before game one. He will be rested, and starting Talbot in game 2 would be complete madness. And that's without getting into how badly that might go over in the locker room.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
The finals don't start until next Weds. That means that if the Rangers close it out tomorrow they would have 5 whole days off. Even if it goes 7 Henrik would have 3 days before game one. He will be rested, and starting Talbot in game 2 would be complete madness. And that's without getting into how badly that might go over in the locker room.

Yeah I can't believe that dude posted that... ridiculous.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Why are we talking about Lundqvist, Talbot, and the Kings in a Stepan thread?

I was really, really impressed with Stepan in his return. There were a few times where he gaffed but the dude had a broken jaw, surgery, is wearing a shield and still scored two goals.

WARRIOR!

As for the off-topic stuff, the only way Talbot gets any playing time is if Lundqvist is injured or if Lundy consecutively screws the pooch by letting in multiple goals like he did last game. He did it once against Philly, was pulled, and bounced back in the next game. I don't see why posters are insinuating he will have the same disastrous results today. And honestly, I was scared when Talbot was in. If it's rust or if it's nerves, I really, really hope it doesn't come down to Talbot seeing any important minutes out on the ice, and I'm not saying this because he let in two goals. There were a few times where he went down on the ice early and he was not in good position.

As for the Kings (And Hawks to a large degree as well), I don't see them being better rested than the Rangers, especially now that the Hawks won in double OT. Thankfully, when the Rangers have played in OT, it has been fairly short, with our longest OT being Game 4 against Montreal (A little over 6 minutes). Then again, it could be a problem if we lose tonight and the Kings win it tomorrow.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
OT but since people are going on about the kings and rest, If we win tonight and Chicago manages to come back and win it, I think we'll win the cup. They might be more top heavy but I believe the rangers are a better team.

If we lose tonight and somehow win game 7, we're going to have a tough time. Don't think we have a shot against the Kings either.

Back on topic, Stepan is a #1C at 23 years old. Slow start this year was due to missing training camp /thread

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'm shocked most of you are surprised by Bern's nonsense. Dude posts some of the most ridiculous stuff on HF. Steps played AMAZING with a broken jaw last game. I'm expecting another huge game from him tonight.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
They both sucked, mostly cause of the lack of sustained team effort resulting into too many Habs chances.

That's not the point.

These guys are human.
They get tired.

One game to get a fresh Lundqvist would have been better than the half a game.

Last night was an aberration. I expect us to kick Monty's ass tom.
However, I am concerned about the Kings.

The point is moot now.
While I continue to have every confidence in Talbot, Hank to play game 6 is the obvious call.

If we make the finals (as reasonably may be expected), and win the opener, we should still give Talbot that 2nd full game.

Yeah, I know you guys want to go another way, fine.
But a rested Hank is better than an unrested one.
That logic cannot be denied.

Worst post of all time and it's not even close.

Ragnarok14

Nov 25, 2011
Deutschland
tumblr_inline_mlxv007G7B1qz4rgp.gif

Stepan with the heart and guts man, the heart and guts!

Haha!! It's crazy because that could be Stepan as an OG, just too much hair.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Watching Stepan's post game...

I'm curious, how did they do jaw surgery without shaving his beard anywhere? Not a conspiracy theory or anything, but interesting nonetheless, nobody makes incisions without a clean cutting surface in surgery. Unless he specifically asked them not to shave anything maybe lol?

ajdj10

Feb 14, 2012
Neverland
I'm curious, how did they do jaw surgery without shaving his beard anywhere? Not a conspiracy theory or anything, but interesting nonetheless, nobody makes incisions without a clean cutting surface in surgery. Unless he specifically asked them not to shave anything maybe lol?
Maybe all his hair growing powers had moved from his scalp to his face and it grew back that quick.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Surgery can be done inside the mouth. Generally the more preferred approach.

Don't know if you're an actual doctor with your handle and all, but if you are, why is that? Wouldn't a constantly wet surface with food passing through be a more difficult spot to heal without infection?

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I'm looking at Stepan again and the surgery WAS on the outside. It was done next to his ear but it was hard to tell because the tape used to cover the stitches is almost the same color as his sideburns.

Capitain Midnight

Trust me, I'm a doc
Mar 20, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Don't know if you're an actual doctor with your handle and all, but if you are, why is that? Wouldn't a constantly wet surface with food passing through be a more difficult spot to heal without infection?

Good questions. The area is easier to get to if we think about it. Try it. If you put your tongue inside your cheek of your bottom teeth, that is where the incision will be. Healing occurs better in a moist environment rather that a dry one. Food doesn't pass there. You aren't chewing and the food stays inside the teeth. Hence the more preferred approach. Plus it adds a layer of protection. My bet is that it was done intraoral route.

I took this from a textbook:
"When applying internal fixation to jaw fractures, it must be remembered that most if not all mandibular fractures are open fractures. The relative resistance to infection makes jaw fractures amenable to treatment with internal fixation in spite of their open nature. Whenever possible, intraoral approaches are made with the implants, especially plates and screws, covered by the mucosa. Incisions through the skin will provide communication to the fracture site, which can become a problem resulting in a draining lesion. I have experienced a lower incidence of complications using intraoral approaches. Surgical preparation is done as with any sterile procedure, although no pretense is made that the surgical procedure is done in a sterile fashion. Mucosa is closed over implants where possible. Exposed implants are always removed following bone healing."

For what it's worth, I'm a finishing my residency in 2 weeks and then going on to do a Sports Medicine Fellowship at the American Sports Medicine Institute/Andrews Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center in Birmingham, Alabama after that.

So cool that it was referenced yesterday on ESPN:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...titute-pitchers-slow-utilize-better-mechanics

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Steps is a warrior.

Katie Strang Verified account
‏@KatieStrangESPN

Derek Stepan, playing through broken jaw. Still not eating solid foods. Liquid diet for next 6 weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad