Injury Report: Derek Stepan Broken Jaw Part II

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Miller had a collision with the goal post. bruised ribs or something? didn't see the play so not sure how he hit it. Interesting move bringing Lindberg. If AV really wants to keep Boyle on wing, I can see the merit of playing Lindberg. Also, he's supposed to be a faceoff circle savant. Not sure how that went in Hartford. Jesper on the other hand gives the Rangers yet another FAST forechecker to give the Habs D the fits. Just how much faster is Fast than Lindberg? Is Lindberg a lot more defensively responsible? I have to imagine it'll be a matter of what AV feels he'll need to combat against what MTL can bring, if Miller did a good job, and whether Boyle at center or Lindberg at center is the right personnel choice to meet that need.

He put on the breakes and got a little push from their d-man and fell forward with his shoulder/neck into the goal post. Not "dirty" imo, but Miller seemed to be in a lot of pain afterwards.

PKNY94

May 18, 2012
Looks like Step will be playing tonight!!!
From the Rangers twitter feed...
Step taking line rushes with Nash and Krieder. Let's finish this tonight!!!

New York Rangers @NYRangers · 8m
Marty and @DerekStepan21 talk during #NYRPlayoffs morning skate. pic.twitter.com/NWrxDuI1tS

New York Rangers @NYRangers · 23m
#NYR @DerekStepan21 on the ice for #NYRPlayoffs morning skate http://instagram.com/p/ogWOfwvdF5/ . #AboveAndBeyond pic.twitter.com/EBG4l2KhFy

New York Rangers @NYRangers · 25m
Stepan taking line rushes with Nash and Kreider during #NYR morning skate

New York Rangers @NYRangers · 29m
#NYR have just taken to the ice for morning skate. . @DerekStepan21 is out there wearing full face shield

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
This is partly why it's really important to finish it off tonight: gives Step and others time to rest and heal their injuries and bruises. LA will be the most physical team we've faced in the playoffs.

finish.jpg

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
With the prominence of Hagelin and Kreider and their attributes of speed, Fast should be the one in the lineup.

I'd think Diaz wouldn't be ruled out as a forward or 7th D.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Hope he is able to get his proper nutrition and hydration leading up to the game, but lets be honest the kid is pretty durable.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Is Stepans jaw wired completely shut? Or did they just put a plate in it?

Hard to play if its wired shut. Would be tough to breathe.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Is Stepans jaw wired completely shut? Or did they just put a plate in it?

Hard to play if its wired shut. Would be tough to breathe.

Was wondering same thing. Have been trying to read around the Internet and various reports but no mention if his jaw is wired shut. I'm assuming it isn't if they haven't mentioned it

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Some of the articles mention him talking to players about the shield.

I'd imagine he wouldn't be talking much if he jaw was wired shut, but I know very little about that sort of thing.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
You can definitely talk with it wired shut. Not sure how much discomfort it causes though.

I saw on NHL.com it said he still needs medical clearance to play. Wonder if it has to do with potentially ruining the work done during surgery?

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
You can definitely talk with it wired shut. Not sure how much discomfort it causes though.

I saw on NHL.com it said he still needs medical clearance to play. Wonder if it has to do with potentially ruining the work done during surgery?

Says it's not wired shot in one article I just read (nypost maybe?), but he's on a "soft" diet because it's hard to chew.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's hard for me to believe that the jaw is wired shut. That's gotta be a pretty significant surgery to necessitate that, no? If it's wired shut, I feel like it's really unlikely he'd be able to play so soon after. What do I know though, I'm no doctor.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Would be so ****ing awesome if Stepan played (and got booed everytime he touched the puck, you know for faking a surgery for a broken jaw and all) and scored the game-winner to end their season.

That would be sweet sweet revenge.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
It's hard for me to believe that the jaw is wired shut. That's gotta be a pretty significant surgery to necessitate that, no? If it's wired shut, I feel like it's really unlikely he'd be able to play so soon after. What do I know though, I'm no doctor.

I thought wiring jaws shut was SOP. Then again putting casts on broken bones till your muscles atrophied to the point of disappearing used to be SOP as well. I wouldn't be surprised it was wired shut to keep the chance of displacement down. Playing hockey ups that risk just a tad.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
I thought wiring jaws shut was SOP. Then again putting casts on broken bones till your muscles atrophied to the point of disappearing used to be SOP as well. I wouldn't be surprised it was wired shut to keep the chance of displacement down. Playing hockey ups that risk just a tad.

Like I said above, it's not wired shut. Was confirmation of that from practice this morning, nypost I think. He's just eating soft foods.

varanger94

Jan 11, 2011
Hockey: Where a broken jaw that required surgery is a one-game injury :yo:

Glad to have a Stepan jersey hanging in my bedroom :nod:

I'll never forget. There were 4 games remaining in the season. If the Mets swept a 4 game series with the Cardinals, they would tie for the division. A long shot but here is the difference between Hockey and Baseball. Kevin McReynolds missed all four games with an in-grown toenail.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Kevin McReynolds missed all four games with an in-grown toenail.

In his defense, those can hurt like hell. Any little bump on the sensitive area is excruciating. Just running would be painful. But at the same time, I gotta think that's something that could be dealt with given modern sports medicine, so that he doesn't miss 4 games at the most important time of the year.

Anywho, great game from Stepan last night. Don't look now, but he's leading the team in scoring (same points as MSL in 1 less game). Though Kreider is the leader in points per game now, with 10 in 9 games.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
In his defense, those can hurt like hell. Any little bump on the sensitive area is excruciating. Just running would be painful. But at the same time, I gotta think that's something that could be dealt with given modern sports medicine, so that he doesn't miss 4 games at the most important time of the year.

Anywho, great game from Stepan last night. Don't look now, but he's leading the team in scoring (same points as MSL in 1 less game). Though Kreider is the leader in points per game now, with 10 in 9 games.

There is no defense, because of my skates I used to get really bad ones with a ton of pus leaking out, very painful. I played games where I had toothpicks, gauze etc. shoved under the nail just to drain it. (no lie) I never missed even a Mens league game, geez that thought wasn't anywhere in my head, ever.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Props, props, props:

Kudos to Stepan on the 2 goals.
However, I'm not sure it was tactically better than holding him out.

While Divine Intervention can obviously overcome anything, still, one should make their own breaks. The Kings will be a tougher nut to crack, not to get ahead of ourselves, but from a planning standpoint, would have given him the rest.

I've been saying play Talbot one freakin game, prepared.
Everybody was no, no, no.

It wasn't Hank's fault that the team forgot to play enough D, which it reciprocated for Prince Cam; however, Hank IMO was overtired.

As that relates here to Stepan, regardless of whether or not tired, the rest would do him much good as to a heal.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Props, props, props:

While Divine Intervention can obviously overcome anything, still, one should make their own breaks. The Kings will be a tougher nut to crack, not to get ahead of ourselves, but from a planning standpoint, would have given him the rest.

It wasn't Hank's fault that the team forgot to play enough D, which it reciprocated for Prince Cam; however, Hank IMO was overtired.

As that relates here to Stepan, regardless of whether or not tired, the rest would do him much good as to a heal.

Can you show me one team that benched their starter with a series lead? And not due to poor play. Talbot wasn't very good last night either.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Props, props, props:

He sucked last night.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He sucked last night.

They both sucked, mostly cause of the lack of sustained team effort resulting into too many Habs chances.

That's not the point.

These guys are human.
They get tired.

One game to get a fresh Lundqvist would have been better than the half a game.

Last night was an aberration. I expect us to kick Monty's ass tom.
However, I am concerned about the Kings.

The point is moot now.
While I continue to have every confidence in Talbot, Hank to play game 6 is the obvious call.

If we make the finals (as reasonably may be expected), and win the opener, we should still give Talbot that 2nd full game.

Yeah, I know you guys want to go another way, fine.
But a rested Hank is better than an unrested one.
That logic cannot be denied.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad