Derek Stepan Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Can't believe we don't have this yet. Anyway:

Thanks a lot Stepan! Our number 1C in the best era of Rangers hockey in my lifetime. Scored some big goals for us. Class act.

Sad day to see you go!

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Can't believe we don't have this yet. Anyway:

Thanks a lot Stepan! Our number 1C in the best era of Rangers hockey in my lifetime. Scored some big goals for us. Class act.

Sad day to see you go!

I was just about to start this.

Thank you for your 6 years in Ranger blue, Step! I'll never forget the game 7 OT winner against Washington, easily the biggest moment for the post lockout Rangers IMO.

You'll always have a fan in me. Good luck in Arizona!

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Amazing player, great person off the ice. One of the easiest players to root for, and I'll continue to root for him in Arizona. Extremely sad to see him go.

One of the greatest moments of my life as a hockey fan was his goal against Washington. But some other unbelievable moments that immediately come to mind:

- his first NHL game (need I say more?)
- his "baseball swing" goal against Philly in 11-12 around Christmas time. Best atmosphere of any regular season game I've been to over 20 years.
- goal line save at the end of game 4 vs. LA

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Was one of my favorite players.

Oddly less sad about this one than Girardi but I'll miss the **** out of him.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
an awesome rangers traded, imho, far below what his market value should have been. but whatever. either way, i do agree with trading players before their value tanks.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Losing you will not be easy. You did everything you could for years. Hockey is a great game but can be a heartbreaking business. I will root for you just like Hags & Brass.

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
I really liked Stepan and still do. His OT winner against the Capitals in game 7 is a goal I'll never forget

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Losing you will not be easy. You did everything you could for years. Hockey is a great game but can be a heartbreaking business. I will root for you just like Hags & Brass.

It's killing me that Hags, Girardi, Brass, Step, Boyle, even Cally, never lifted the cup in a Rangers uniform. I continue to root for all of them, but our teams in 14 & 15 were my absolute favorites since Mess & Gretz in 97.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's killing me that Hags, Girardi, Brass, Step, Boyle, even Cally, never lifted the cup in a Rangers uniform. I continue to root for all of them, but our teams in 14 & 15 were my absolute favorites since Mess & Gretz in 97.

I feel the same way. In my situation, Tampa is my 2nd team because of the Cally trade but also having a house down there has made me also follow and root for the team and not just the player. So it was kind of a win win situation, and he is supposed to be fully recovered next season. So will still root for him to get a cup, just not at the Rangers expense of course, lol. I still think that 2011-12 team was great, had a lot of heart just fell short. Really is going to be weird not seeing Stepan or Giradi out there anymore. I really wish Stepan the best and hope he does well out in Arizona. Him there has made that team more likeable to me, lol.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Very smart, dependable, all situations player. Great personality and attitude. Hopefully he does well with Arizona at least when they're not playing us.

Kind of sucky on face-offs and a little on the slow side. Crafty as **** though....which quite often made up for those issues.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Loved him during his time here. Loved watching him at the WJC, and loved watching him come up through Wisconsin. Had some huge moments for this team and I'm sad to see him go. Unfortunately it was just time for a change.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
He was one of the best at anticipating that pass at center ice knocking it out of thin air and leading the 2 on 1

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I think it was a decent trade because of cap and potential of DeAngelo and the 7th overall pick but ye i will miss Stepan and his bald head badly! Loved Stepan behind the mic and he is a damn fun person and a great guy all around. He is also an extremely underrated twoway center among fans around the NHL. A very solid player both ways. Think he will be missed alot in the dressing room.

Btw, Zucc getting an "A" with Stepan and Girardi gone?

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
One of my favorite Rangers of the recent successful era. Sad to see him go.

He has a great personality, too. They played this video between periods last year at a game against Calgary at the Garden and the crowd was laughing hysterically. "Brady Skujay" kills me.

rvdnsx

Jun 30, 2003
Great guy, really funny dude too. Really turning the page here for the team, with Stepan and Girardi gone this is quickly becoming GMJG's team. Yes we are getting younger, but better? Remains to be seen. Anyways, thank you Step! Once a Ranger always a Ranger!

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Can't really believe the Stepan era is over. One of my favorite Rangers since the day he was called up. I'll definitely miss the guy.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

It is tough to lose guys we like and respect. Hags was the only reason I did not mind Pitt winning a cup. At least now we have a few guys around the league we can root for as well as for our Rangers.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I don't think it'll really set in until the season starts that he's gone. Very happy with the trade, but, yeah, I liked Steps a lot. Will be weird seeing him in another uniform.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Sad for sure!! He's gonna thrive in Arizona!! :handclap: :yo:

One of my all time favorite moments of the Rangers in my lifetime, right here.

Gonna miss Stepan. Very good all around, very dependable. One bad playoffs and the entire fanbase wanted him gone. Hope he does will in Arizona.

I still remember before he signed his last contract doing an interview where he said he loves the Rangers and wants to be a Ranger for his entire career and I feel bad.

10/26 the Coyotes come to MSG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad