Derek Stepan Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Yeah, I'm going to miss Stepan a lot. Trading him was a straight business / hockey move, it has nothing to do with the player or what he has done for us (which is a lot)

I still get chills when I see the G7 OT winner vs Washington.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009

One of the most under appreciated moments from Stepan. Comes back from jaw surgery and then scores two goals in his first game back. Maybe it's because they lost but people seem to have forgotten about that moment.

Always loved Stepan but can see where they're going with this trade. Will miss him and his awkward stride

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
One of my favorite players, was hoping he'd retire a Ranger and sad to see him go, but the teams going a new direction, it is what it is. All the best to him in Arizona

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
One of the most under appreciated moments from Stepan. Comes back from jaw surgery and then scores two goals in his first game back. Maybe it's because they lost but people seem to have forgotten about that moment.

Always loved Stepan but can see where they're going with this trade. Will miss him and his awkward stride

Tough as hell. People sometimes gloss over these things for players that don't hit hard or don't fight, or have a general happy demeanor as opposed to always looking pissed off. But we just lost two very, very tough players in Girardi and Stepan. What they did for this franchise over the past several years was admirable.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
One of the best and most consistent Rangers of the post-lockout era. Everyone likes to say "we couldn't win with him as our '1C'", but I think that's total nonsense. Two ECF appearances. One SCF appearance. You know who we couldn't win with? The two anchors he spent 60% of his 5v5 ice time with. You know who he helped drag that far? Those same two players.

Stepan never got his due here. Was never shown the respect his play earned because he's not Crosby or Malkin or Toews or Tavares. Please.

You the man, Step. You have my respect always.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

You know what, I did forget about that. Dude was in total warrior mode that game.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
One of the best and most consistent Rangers of the post-lockout era. Everyone likes to say "we couldn't win with him as our '1C'", but I think that's total nonsense. Two ECF appearances. One SCF appearance. You know who we couldn't win with? The two anchors he spent 60% of his 5v5 ice time with. You know who he helped drag that far? Those same two players.

Stepan never got his due here. Was never shown the respect his play earned because he's not Crosby or Malkin or Toews or Tavares. Please.

You the man, Step. You have my respect always.

And he always went head to head against the other team's top lines. Backstrom has basically done nothing against us in all of the playoff series we've played against the Caps...why? Stepan.

He also won multiple series matching up against Crosby and Giroux. Crosby, Backstrom and Giroux: Elite 1Cs. Derek Stepan: garbage, slow, not a 1C. So disrespected.

Bad playoff performer to fans because of one year, yet all the other seasons he delivered points, big goals, key plays and most of all he matched up with the toughest guys on the other team. Stepan is my favorite Rangers forward of this recent run of success from 2011 on. Love the guy.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
One of my favorite players, was hoping he'd retire a Ranger and sad to see him go, but the teams going a new direction, it is what it is. All the best to him in Arizona

Agree. Will miss him alot and will be very weird to not have him on the team, really appreciate what he brought to the team both on and off the ice. Hopefully he will have alot of success in Arizona, would be fun if they made the playoffs and had a legit chance to win with him on the team. Hopefully he will help them take the franchise to the next level both on the ice and in terms of growing hockey in general in Arizona.

Flying Puck

Oct 16, 2017
I know a lot of Ranger fans had written this guy off but he is having a one of his best seasons as a pro. Step now has 53 points on the worst team in hockey. He has 8 points in his last 4 games recording 2 points in 4 straight games. I sure hope this trade does not come back to haunt us. I am not sold on Deangelo and time will tell is Anderson works out. Step was a great Ranger for us and more than anything I think they miss him in that locker room.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I know a lot of Ranger fans had written this guy off but he is having a one of his best seasons as a pro. Step now has 53 points on the worst team in hockey. He has 8 points in his last 4 games recording 2 points in 4 straight games. I sure hope this trade does not come back to haunt us. I am not sold on Deangelo and time will tell is Anderson works out. Step was a great Ranger for us and more than anything I think they miss him in that locker room.

Please explain how he would fit in the ongoing rebuild?

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
Like it or not but trading him is probably the biggest reason why we are in a rebuild currently and dare I say, not in the playoffs, why I almost would...

He was not the fastest skater nor the one with the best shot, but he remains among the smartest players in the league. Centremen are key to any defence and he structured the chaos in our defensive zone by always anticipating problems and helping out our defenders when trouble beckoned. In short, he ignored much of the Alain Vigneault playbook for centres, tried to do the right thing and that made everything work.

I really liked his interaction with Hank, defending Skej, in the playoffs. And I tend to follow the classical rule that goaltenders are never to blame.

I still can not see why we asked for DeAngelo (and I remember an article stating that we asked for him) in return. He may be an NHL player, but why though take the risk and growing pains? In my book an early 2nd + 3rd this year would have been a better choice considering the depth of the draft and quality available.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Stepan was what he was, no more no less.
For the umpteenth time, I got it right.
He was productive but ordinary, not spectacular.
He was never gonna be spectacular.

If, whether it was on a team's need to overpay to get a borderline pivot, or for some other reason, it is a fact that a team would pay well to acquire, NYR should have considered moving him earlier very seriously as valuable but flawed and limited player.

I did not/do not hate Stepan, and good for him his game hasn't yet faded, remaining proximate to what it was with us. Like I said early on, he plateaued -- not yet declined, but is holding steady, no more no less.

My position that is now confirmed to have been true is that he always was more valuable to us in returned assets than in player production.
The mistake was not to moving him earlier, because the same production at an earlier [lesser] salary is obviously worth more.

We were lucky AZ paid when nobody else would at that late stage, and like I said, to much derision then, was we should have moved him and the wonder twins before they morphed into wonder twins for Taylor Hall +.

Good luck to DS going forward.
But no ?, we not only do that deal 100/100, we do better deals earlier if there were any do-overs.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I don't know if I'd go that far.

He's on a roughly 14 goal, 58 point pace. About where he's been for the last few years.

Also worth noting he's playing almost a minute to a minute-and-a-half than he has in recent seasons.

Reactions: Bozle and Inferno

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009

If we keep Stepan then I don't think we're in a rebuild. I think we're in a wild card spot and looking toward another 2nd round playoff exit. We probably wouldn't have enough space to sign Shatty. We continue on to mediocrity for years to come. The Stepan trade, without replacing him, was the biggest factor to start the rebuild in my mind

Reactions: kovazub94 and Yuck

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't know if I'd go that far.

He's on a roughly 14 goal, 58 point pace. About where he's been for the last few years.

Also worth noting he's playing almost a minute to a minute-and-a-half than he has in recent seasons.
Edge, I always find myself disagreeing with you. Weird as hell. I'm sure I'm the crazy one, but it kind of fascinates me that we always seem to see things differently :)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think maybe the main issue was his contract. About 4 more years and some if not all of it with either an NTC or an NMC......and he remains a 2nd line quality center. The fear of not being able to move him later pushed Gorton & co. to move him sooner. There was also a fear his skating might marginalize even further his offensive game which had pretty much plateaued.

Stepan is a smart as f*** hockey player though. A better pair of legs and he ain't very far away from Patrice Bergeron at all.

Tony DeAngelo in the meantime is still a work in progress. I'm not sold on him either. The offense he was able to create this year was more than negated IMO by his subpar defending. He's going to have to get better at both but I'm not sure there's a good place for him here with Shattenkirk coming back next year and Pionk's emergence on the right side. Pionk pretty much is giving us what we (or I anyway) hoped DeAngelo would--smart puck movement and shrewd defending. I'm more sold on Lias Andersson though it's still going to take him time to become what he's going to become.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
4VoTfjv.png

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think maybe the main issue was his contract. About 4 more years and some if not all of it with either an NTC or an NMC......and he remains a 2nd line quality center. The fear of not being able to move him later pushed Gorton & co. to move him sooner. There was also a fear his skating might marginalize even further his offensive game which had pretty much plateaued.

Stepan is a smart as **** hockey player though. A better pair of legs and he ain't very far away from Patrice Bergeron at all.

Tony DeAngelo in the meantime is still a work in progress. I'm not sold on him either. The offense he was able to create this year was more than negated IMO by his subpar defending. He's going to have to get better at both but I'm not sure there's a good place for him here with Shattenkirk coming back next year and Pionk's emergence on the right side. Pionk pretty much is giving us what we (or I anyway) hoped DeAngelo would--smart puck movement and shrewd defending. I'm more sold on Lias Andersson though it's still going to take him time to become what he's going to become.

No doubt about it.

Maybe @bernmeister is a visionary among us - mere mortals, but it took a frustrating 2nd round loss to Ottawa last year for Gorton to give up on the group that was largely in place for 2012-2017. Stepan was the first to go because of upcoming NTC.

Reactions: bernmeister
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad