Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
You have to consider everything Stepan brings to his line when replacing him. There are no other Selke candidate, sixty point centers on the team, and so you have to determine what is more important to have from a center who will be logging a ton of minutes. Moore is responsible defensively, but he is not going to score much, or set up his teammates to do so. Brassard will become the defacto #1, and the second line center will have a similar role, but with lesser minutes. Personally I want a guy there with offensive potential. Miller and Hayes are relatively inexperienced, but there is only one way to get it. Hayes plays a similar game as Stepan minus the whole Selke candidate thing. Great vision, strong on the puck, patient.

Moving Moore up is towards the bottom of the options I'd like to see as the #2.

Not that I disagree with your sentiment that we don't have someone who provides the well rounded game that he does, but when was/is Stepan a Selke candidate?

Championship*

The waiting is the hardest here. I kinda wish the beat writers could have just kept their mouths shut until they knew the prognosis. But they report and now we are all left hanging until they are told what's going on.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
......ahhhh yes. The ever pervasive smell of doom and gloom in the Rangersphere.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Not that I disagree with your sentiment that we don't have someone who provides the well rounded game that he does, but when was/is Stepan a Selke candidate?

Officially, never, but I believe the potential is there.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I'm not going to speculate on the nature of his injury, but I will say one thing. Stepan seems like a magnet for knee-on-knees ever since he came into the league. I can remember at least 4 or 5 that he's taken in the last couple seasons and thinking: "How the hell is this kid not injured?" Maybe it caught up with him. I certainly hope it's a hammy, but I can't remember another Rangers player taking as many knee shots as Stepan has over the past few seasons.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Officially, never, but I believe the potential is there.

Fair enough. I don't feel like he has the athleticism to take it to the next shutdown D level, but no arguing his positioning and hockey IQ.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If you are going to lose a player to an 8-10 month injury, it's better to happen NOW than in March.

With the advances that are being made medically, I can see Step getting back in the line up in May.

And with or without Stepan (and I know I said the opposite previously) I think we can make the PO's.

And while I think that this is a big opportunity for Miller and Hayes, I think it's an even BIGGER opportunity for Brassard.

Brand new contract, opportunity for #1 center minutes at ES and on the PP?

45-50 points won't cut the mustard.

Brassard needs to get into that 55pt stratosphere if Step is out all season.

I think he can do it.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@PLeonardNYDN: #NYR say Derek Stepan has a fractured fibula. No timetable”

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@AGrossRecord: Fractured fibula for Derek Stepan. No timetable yet on how long he'll be out. At doctor now. Rangers say update later today.â€

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
how do you fracture your fibula stopping?

well, its probably less serious of an injury than an ACL, but hes still going to be out for what, 2-3 months?

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Important to note:

Fibular fractures are not often a severe injury, because the bone is supports only about 17% of the body weight.

PROGNOSIS

If treated properly, fibular fractures usually heal in 4 to 6 weeks.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Thats awful optimistic, 2 months is more realistic.

He has the best medical care / treatment money can buy. It's not as severe as other bones, and isn't a Paul George type of injury. I would say a month is best case, two months worst case.

Lets hope for nothing more than two months.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Wow, weird. Don't even know how that happens

Better than a torn ACL though

Thats awful optimistic, 2 months is more realistic.

Dunno, depends, athletes generally recover much faster than regular people because of their rehab regimes and having access to doctors and medicine not everyone else does

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
2 months is about a million times better than an ACL/MCL timetable.

Camp just got a lot more interesting at center.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Safety precautions, I'm going to go with 11/01/14 return to skating with a return to the line up arounf 11/15/14

He's going to have to re-do his preseason training to get back to where he is today. That's going to take a while.

No need to rush him back this early in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad