Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

*Bob Richards*

Non-contact? Well ****.....

Don't want to speculate too much but that sounds awful.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
You really want to line Miller up against Giroux, Crosby, Malkins of the world?

#BringBackDubi e5

You're thinking too literally. Just because Miller is with Nash and Kreider doesn't mean AV would use them against another teams top line.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Who knows what happened...but typically when you tear a knee ligament you don't stay kneeling up with all your weight on the affected area. Again who knows, but none of us saw it so it is really difficult to speculate let alone say anything conclusive like it is "definitely ACL".

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
You really want to line Miller up against Giroux, Crosby, Malkins of the world?

#BringBackDubi e5

No, I don't want to, but with Steps out, someone needs to play 1c. AV will probably try to get Moore or Lombardi out against the other teams' top lines if Steps can't go.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Unless he caught a rut in the ice, the chances of him tearing his ACL while skating in a straight line are pretty low.

Sounds more like a muscle pull/cramp to me but then again, I didn't see it.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Unless he caught a rut in the ice, the chances of him tearing his ACL while skating in a straight line are pretty low.

Sounds more like a muscle pull/cramp to me but then again, I didn't see it.

That's what I"m hoping. "clutching at his knee area" is pretty vague and it'd be an easy place to pull a quad or hammy and grab around there. If he was grabbing the side of his knee I'd be worried...

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If he's out for a long time (good God, no), I'd rather move Moore up to "1C" than have Miller play there. I'd rather have a very defensively responsible C take those reps. Moore can also chip in a bit. He was moved up to a top role last season a few times.

Kreider - Moore - MSL
Nash - Brass - Zucc
Hags - Miller - Stemp
Glass - Lombardi - Malone

It's ugly, but it makes the most sense to me.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
We will be fine either way, but we shouldn't speculate too hard on what it could be. Just have to wait and see and deal with it when the time comes.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
how does a non series foot contusion turn into something terribad?

Heres hoping he just needs to rest for another week then re-evaluate

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
how does a non series foot contusion turn into something terribad?

Heres hoping he just needs to rest for another week then re-evaluate

It's very likely that they're completely unrelated and poor writing by the people who cover the team makes it sound like they were!

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
Hoping he just tweaked something. Non-contact injury isn't exactly what you would love to hear, especially when it comes to knees.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
You have to consider everything Stepan brings to his line when replacing him. There are no other Selke candidate, sixty point centers on the team, and so you have to determine what is more important to have from a center who will be logging a ton of minutes. Moore is responsible defensively, but he is not going to score much, or set up his teammates to do so. Brassard will become the defacto #1, and the second line center will have a similar role, but with lesser minutes. Personally I want a guy there with offensive potential. Miller and Hayes are relatively inexperienced, but there is only one way to get it. Hayes plays a similar game as Stepan minus the whole Selke candidate thing. Great vision, strong on the puck, patient.

Moving Moore up is towards the bottom of the options I'd like to see as the #2.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Sometimes bad situations leads to good outcomes.

I'm not saying that I don't want Step to play by any means. Of course, he's our 1C and nobody else comes close yet.

However, it's the start of an 82 game season. Brass is serviceable for a short time in a pinch. Miller looks like a new player. Hayes looks good, though he could use some AHL time most likely. Lindberg hasn't played yet. The team has pretty good center depth right now.

In the absolute worst case scenario, this could be the chance of a lifetime for one of our other centers. I'm fully confident in AV's ability to manage the lines in such a way that puts a solid D center out against top competition and gives someone who can score time to score. I'm going to try not to freak about this until it's 100% necessary.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
this sucks.
IMHO, the opportunity is really raised for Lindberg over Miller and Hayes, as replacement plan at C on the 1st/2nd line. He has more experience as a full time pro C. We'll see how he looks friday night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad