Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Some of U guys don't understand what we have here

Duclair might be a world class scorer. He needs to sharpen those skills and gain confidence and swagger and know that he's a world class scorer. He can do that by playing real mins at the NHL level sure because he's that good. But 9 mins with tanner glass is not going to do it.

I rather he light up juniors again play in the WJCs and the memorial cup then plug away on a fourth line against the Ryan reaves and cam Jansens of the NHL getting passes from tanner glass

That's where a moore and Stempniak can take advantage not a kid that is that important to your franchise.

Not to mention we take awAy a lot of depth playing those guy as 3rd liners does nothing for us

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Duclair might be a world class scorer. He needs to sharpen those skills and gain confidence and swagger and know that he's a world class scorer. He can do that by playing real mins at the NHL level sure because he's that good. But 9 mins with tanner glass is not going to do it.

I rather he light up juniors again play in the WJCs and the memorial cup then plug away on a fourth line against the Ryan reaves and cam Jansens of the NHL getting passes from tanner glass

That's where a moore and Stempniak can take advantage not a kid that is that important to your franchise.

Not to mention we take awAy a lot of depth playing those guy as 3rd liners does nothing for us

You know who wouldn't want that? Anthony Duclair. This team has a legitimate top 6. Duclair has been good but not good enough to be handed that opportunity at the expense of others.

SupersonicMonkey*

Agree.

Top 9 with real hockey players as linemates, or send him to Quebec.

Tanner Glass (awful at possession) and Hayes (who i like) not winning faceoffs, doesn't help. A kid who is a scorer should be with guys who drive possession at even strength.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
AV will have to learn to deal with Duclair's mistakes while playing with hagelin and Hayes .. That's the only way that line ever works...

Problem is that its tough slotting Duclair over Stempniak.... That's tough for any coach to stomach...

Bottom 6:

Hagelin-Hayes-Duclair
Glass/Fast-Moore-Stempniak

That's sufficient for the bottom 6. Hags is defensively responsible and should help cover up some of those flaws...

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You know who wouldn't want that? Anthony Duclair. This team has a legitimate top 6. Duclair has been good but not good enough to be handed that opportunity at the expense of others.

Because 19 year olds usually know what's best for themselves

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Agree.

Top 9 with real hockey players as linemates, or send him to Quebec.

Tanner Glass (awful at possession) and Hayes (who i like) not winning faceoffs, doesn't help. A kid who is a scorer should be with guys who drive possession at even strength.

Which is what AV said in the first place. Play him or send him back. This crap he's doing right now doesn't fly

And quite frankly he's putting up pts in the few mins he gets he should be playing him more!

Would take Jesper Fast 5 years to put up 6 pts at the NHL level. (Sorry couldn't help myself)

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Which is what AV said in the first place. Play him or send him back. This crap he's doing right now doesn't fly

And quite frankly he's putting up pts in the few mins he gets he should be playing him more!

This is part(s) of what AV said after practice:

Vigneault made it clear both Hayes and fellow rookie Anthony Duclair are still very much in the evaluation stage.

And specifically regarding Duclair:

Vigneault was also pressed on his earlier assertion that Duclair needed to play among the top nine forwards if he was going to remain on the Rangers roster.

This will mark his second straight game on the fourth line.

“I lied,” Vigneault said, breaking into laughter.

Seriously, though, Vigneault is hoping these lines combinations allow him to roll four lines comfortably, as he prefers.

If I'm not mistaken AV has coached in Juniors. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't trust him to ultimately make the best decision regarding Duclair. Tomorrow will be the first time all the forwards are healthy--it's going to take a couple of games at least for AV to figure out how he wants to construct his lines.

But feel free to be an armchair coach. That's what this board is all about.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/..._stepan_return_definite_talbot_to_face_leafs/

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Because 19 year olds usually know what's best for themselves
Because a coach with hundreds of NHL games under his belt, having coached many players, and has had successful teams (no not just measuring by SC wins) doesnt know whats best?

Duclair belongs where he is. In the NHL and in the bottom 6 on a very good Rangers team that will only get better as they heal. He is better off with less minutes here than going back to juniors where he has nothing left to prove. His offensive talent is undeniable. But he is not pushing anyone out of the top 6. And when it comes to the top 9, stempniak needs to be there over him because you need to play two way hockey to win a cup. Stempniak is a far superior player in that regard. Duclair can spend time on the 4th line learning to play on both sides of the puck because his instincts and reactionary ability is lacking in the defensive zone. He is better off being slowly groomed in the NHL under a good coach.

Playing with Tanner Glass wont make Duclair forget how to use his great hands and speed. He is also the type of player that can get the puck himself and do the work with his legs like he did late in the detroit game. He doesnt need world class passers.

I love Duclair. We may have struck gold. But my god the worrisome mentality needs to stop. This isnt the era where youth such as Lundmark and Maholtra were mishandled (not that they were going to become top 6 players). We have a staff that has had proved to know what they are doing over he past 5-10 years. Its why we are where we are. The armchair GMs and Coaches need to realize why they are just that

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

Would take Jesper Fast 5 years to put up 6 pts at the NHL level. (Sorry couldn't help myself)

You keep complaining about how Hayes and Duclair shouldn't be playing on the 4th line with Glass, yet every time Fast comes up and plays, he's always on the 4th line with Glass, and yet, he sucks because he isn't putting up points with the ball and chain that is Tanner Glass

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You keep complaining about how Hayes and Duclair shouldn't be playing on the 4th line with Glass, yet every time Fast comes up and plays, he's always on the 4th line with Glass, and yet, he sucks because he isn't putting up points with the ball and chain that is Tanner Glass

Boom shaka-laka.

Wanna know Jesper Fast's faceoff zone starts this season when he was with the team?

Offensive zone - 3
Neutral zone - 15
Defensive zone - 14

PUT UP MORE POINTS YOU LOSER

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The funny thing is - folks are are participating in this conversation in the context of what's good for Duclair (and Hayes, although people aren't talking as much about him, which I find strange given that he has almost as much potential for us as a 6'5" center), but you know what it's really about? AGAIN? Tanner Glass.

If that deadweight wasn't on the team, we'd be talking about Duclair and Hayes playing with Mueller, or Fast, or heck even Malone. And no one would have much of an issue with it. It's just because Glass is so gosh darn awful at puck control, that we fear that these kids who are being evaluated are going to get short shrift because they won't be able to produce simply due to the fact that every time the puck goes to the LW it will be lost to the other team.

I mean, I guess if the goal is to see how Hayes and Duclair develop with their off-the-puck abilities, then maybe that's the thinking? 'Cause they're going to get a lot of opportunities to showcase them... :sarcasm:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I have zero problem with glass Moore and Stempniak together

It's not about tanner glass

He's where he should be

Jesper Fast's skill set is not even remotely on par with the Duke's. There's a big difference in that conversation

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

He's where he should be

Jesper Fast's skill set is not even remotely on par with the Duke's. There's a big difference in that conversation

glass is not where he should be when he's in the NHL

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

He's where he should be

You're right.

Fast knows how to play on both sides of the puck. Can play on the PK. Is reliable. I think you forget this is a team coming off a SCF run. Duclair is a solid young offensive* player. I think people need to take a step back and look at the big picture.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
You're right.

Fast knows how to play on both sides of the puck. Can play on the PK. Is reliable. I think you forget this is a team coming off a SCF run. Duclair is a solid young offensive* player. I think people need to take a step back and look at the big picture.

And let's give this 22 year old the same benefit of the doubt that people in the McIlrath thread keep screaming about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad