Confirmed with Link: Derek Roy to Nashville (1Yr / $1 AAV)

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Between the USDT, BU and Milwaukee, Wilson played 241 games. Would another half or whole season in Milwaukee (280 or 320 total games) be enough for you?
Wilson is averaging nearly 0.5 points a game in the NHL. On a scoring challenged team like Nashville, that is good in my book. Yes, I would like to see him break through the 35 point barrier and move up to 50 points a year. Maybe playing on the wing, Wilson can do that this year.

I thought that I saw in another thread that Moser is going to play in Switzerland this season.

With Wilsons total 40 games in Milwaukee looking back was not enough. I really wanted Wilson to be that special player we have yearned to have coming thru the Preds pipeline. And while his numbers at BU and U-18 were acceptable and the reason he was picked 7th overall. The fact is they were not professional hockey. He came from a good program in college but the level of competition in college is no where near what it is in the NHL im sorry it just is not. Wilson was drafted to be a top 6 guy and at this point has been a failure, his .46 points per game is less impressive. To be honest if he were a 50 point guy I think he would still be short of what he could have potentially done.

So yes I think only 40 games in the AHL was not enough to prepare him. This is one case I don't blame the player. The situation was he was needed to fill a roster spot in Nashville. And I can already hear the excuse of its Trotz fault coming but in reality he was given well over a year in the league to succeed. His first full year he played all 82 games. The next year is when Trotz gave him some time in the pressbox. How is that not giving him opportunity. I am affraid that the need to have him on the roster here has diminished what he could have been. He needed at least two years in the AHL before making the jump. And now with the system change if he does not put up 50 this season his time in Nashville will be done. There are just too many guys with 3rd and 4th level talent to endure another 30 point season from Wilson.

codeman00

Apr 24, 2012
I personally thought that Wilson was really turning into that player we expected him to be...until he was injured in the 2011-12 season. He had some beast mode plays around that time. I think the injury helped set him back.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
With Wilsons total 40 games in Milwaukee looking back was not enough. I really wanted Wilson to be that special player we have yearned to have coming thru the Preds pipeline. And while his numbers at BU and U-18 were acceptable and the reason he was picked 7th overall. The fact is they were not professional hockey. He came from a good program in college but the level of competition in college is no where near what it is in the NHL im sorry it just is not. Wilson was drafted to be a top 6 guy and at this point has been a failure, his .46 points per game is less impressive. To be honest if he were a 50 point guy I think he would still be short of what he could have potentially done.

So yes I think only 40 games in the AHL was not enough to prepare him. This is one case I don't blame the player. The situation was he was needed to fill a roster spot in Nashville. And I can already hear the excuse of its Trotz fault coming but in reality he was given well over a year in the league to succeed. His first full year he played all 82 games. The next year is when Trotz gave him some time in the pressbox. How is that not giving him opportunity. I am affraid that the need to have him on the roster here has diminished what he could have been. He needed at least two years in the AHL before making the jump. And now with the system change if he does not put up 50 this season his time in Nashville will be done. There are just too many guys with 3rd and 4th level talent to endure another 30 point season from Wilson.

I see both sides of the argument. While I do think his window is closing unless he acts fast, I can also see the other side of the argument. Just because one plays in all or most games doesn't mean they are given an opportunity to succeed. It also depends on who they play with. Now I can't remember who he played with at that time. But just take this past season for example, Trotz takes someone that Poile brings in to play in the top 6 and puts him on the 4th line with Gaustad and Clune. How is that being given an opportunity? Hopefully this is something that Lavy changes.

Now to get back on topic

That 2nd of Ribeiro's was the move Fiala did at camp a couple weeks ago.

I think Ribeiro's was better. He almost lost it though and got lucky. He passed it through his feet. I don't believe Fiala did that.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
I personally thought that Wilson was really turning into that player we expected him to be...until he was injured in the 2011-12 season. He had some beast mode plays around that time. I think the injury helped set him back.

Agree. There have been moments where Wilson has looked like a complete force and the best player on the ice. If he ever strings that together on a consistent basis, he could be an all star. There are lots of rationales for why it could happen but a large body of work to suggest it will not. I'm one of the few remaining optimists- I believe he can be a 60+ point player. This will be the year to find out...

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Agree. There have been moments where Wilson has looked like a complete force and the best player on the ice. If he ever strings that together on a consistent basis, he could be an all star. There are lots of rationales for why it could happen but a large body of work to suggest it will not. I'm one of the few remaining optimists- I believe he can be a 60+ point player. This will be the year to find out...

Im with you guys, even this year, some shifts he had the puck the entire time and made great passes. Just couldn't finish on those passes. He is really good with puck possession, and great hands. I think he could complement Neal really well. I can't remember what wing Wilson played but Neal can play both so that doesn't matter. Hopefully them two, along with Ribeiro can play really well together.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Im with you guys, even this year, some shifts he had the puck the entire time and made great passes. Just couldn't finish on those passes. He is really good with puck possession, and great hands. I think he could complement Neal really well. I can't remember what wing Wilson played but Neal can play both so that doesn't matter. Hopefully them two, along with Ribeiro can play really well together.
I want to say right wing but I may be wrong. (I know, really putting myself out a limb there).. Either way I agree.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Wilson has only played LW and C with the Predators. Never saw him line up on the right side. Generally speaking you do not put a player on his offhand at wing unless he is a sniper. Neal is a lefty and has played RW but I think he is better 5 on 5 on the left side. I really don't think you will see Wilson and Neal on the same line. More like Wilson/Roy/Smith on the second line.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
It's more than a bit concerning that the one season in which Wilson showed he was more than just a 35-40 point player not only ended in injury, but was also the lockout-shortened season. There were some seriously wacky, unrealistic point paces being put up by more than a handful of players that season, and it is discouraging to think that Wilson's one bright spot may have been as much part of that trend as him "figuring it out."

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The thing I think that Wilson has going for him, and I really can't stand how people make excuses for him and still consider him some sort of "prospect" 6 years after being drafted--but I'll give him this one-- is that he's not a "bright" player. Listen to him talk. There's a pretty clear lack of maturity and overall mental ability. I think that in Trotz's system, where it was driven so hard that, especially at center, he had to always be aware of the game and his responsibilities, he was literally overthinking. You could watch the expression on his face and see it. For a player like Wilson, he has to be able to play on instinct. Trotz never allowed that...so maybe a "do your thing" player like Lavy will be good for him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I've always felt watching Wilson play that it looked like he was fighting his natural instincts out there on the ice. I just really wonder if he wasn't a player whose natural game just didn't line up with Trotz and the way he did things. Obviously the only way thats going to be proven wrong is if he comes out this year and lights it up, and I feel like he has to do that or he is probably playing somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad