Confirmed with Link: Derek Lalonde named New Head Coach

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It’s the coaches job to light a fire under a player and get the most out of him.

Not throw in the towel on an MVP talent and try and run him out of town. I get it he says he changed.

I don’t think he should be fired or anything. But his personality in this interview segment is unprofessional
Chiclets is pretty much the hockey media equivalent of the Howard Stern show. Unprofessional is their "brand".

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Chiclets is pretty much the hockey media equivalent of the Howard Stern show. Unprofessional is their "brand".
The interviews are pretty dependent on the interviewee, but they are often pretty professional. Biz, RA, and that other dude, to their credit, prepare pretty well and then typically let the guest set the tone. The rest of the show can often get off the rails though, yeah.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The interviews are pretty dependent on the interviewee, but they are often pretty professional. Biz, RA, and that other dude, to their credit, prepare pretty well and then typically let the guest set the tone. The rest of the show can often get off the rails though, yeah.
That's Stern too. You don't last long in the interview game if you embarrass your guests.

Unless the show is Hot Ones and the guest is DJ Khaled. Then your success is dependent on mocking him mercilessly at every opportunity.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It’s the coaches job to light a fire under a player and get the most out of him.

Not throw in the towel on an MVP talent and try and run him out of town. I get it he says he changed.

I don’t think he should be fired or anything. But his personality in this interview segment is unprofessional
That is the premise of the podcast.

Reactions: gritdash60

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Anyone with a brain could see Kucherov was a very rare and elite talent.
Lalonde watched him play hockey every single day and was begging them to dump him. He even wanted to be the one to call his agent and give him the news he was finished in TB.

Good thing for TBL there was an adult in the room and Lalonde wasn’t being taken seriously.

He acts like a child by even sharing this story. Usually coaches/brass don’t share negative stories about players or trying to run them out of town until after the player retires.

Someone earlier in the thread was ripping him for referring to himself in 3rd person as ‘newsy’.
I didn’t think much of it…. But hearing him actually do it is very cringeworthy.
I guarantee Jon Cooper always took Derek Lalonde seriously in regards to his professional opinion.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
That's Stern too. You don't last long in the interview game if you embarrass your guests.

Unless the show is Hot Ones and the guest is DJ Khaled. Then your success is dependent on mocking him mercilessly at every opportunity.

DJ Khaled embarrassed himself in that episode. Not like our Lady and Saviour Salma Hayek. Man, I was crazy about her before, but she was awesome on Hot Ones. I did love at the end of hers when she asked "Who was the worst?" because Sean told her she was one of the best. It cut to black, but you just know he was unloaded about Khaled's shitshow of an episode.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
When you are the assistant coach and you've got a good head coach, you are able to openly share your concerns and be overridden if your opinion goes too far or the method isn't right. Lalonde had wanted to red-ass Kucherov. Kucherov doesn't respond to red-assing. He responds to you trusting that he knows what to do to improve and that you praise his successes over narrowly focusing on his faults.

It's like me and my family.

* My older brother beats himself up worse mentally than anyone else could, so he needs support.
* I routinely get my head stuck up my own ass, metaphorically, and I need a swift whack to knock me out of my pity-party bullshit to do the damn thing.
* A sister knows what she's doing and is so dead set on proving she can do it alone that you give her the space to try it and fail before you offer help.
* The youngest just has supreme confidence in himself that he'll succeed in whatever he does. So, you stay out of his way entirely and he'll tell you what help he needs.

It's why the guys like Torts and Babs wear out their welcome as quickly as they do. They have one mode and it's a really good mode, but all players don't respond to the same thing.

It's like the story I read about Chuck Daly with the Pistons in the 80s. If he wanted Mark Aguirre to respond, he'd yell at Isiah Thomas. When he wanted a end of game call made, he drew it up for Bill Laimbeer and then Isiah took over the huddle and said "No, we're doing this". Which is what Chuck wanted all along.

acetehubernoob

Jun 28, 2011
For anyone complaining about the Chiclets interview not being professional, thats how that show is. Go and listen to when they had Ken Daniels on. It's crazy listening to a man on TV your whole life and then as a 30 year old hear Ken let loose with the s's and the f's.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I routinely get my head stuck up my own ass

metaphorically
153i7n.jpg

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Lalonde was on spittin chiclets in case someone didn't know, dude is f***ing hilarious btw. The 12pack in head while naked announcing the lineup story might be my favorite LOL. "So Derek, speaking of clothes or lack of. i've heard you have a special way of delivering the lineup occasionally, do you wan't to elaborate on that" "No"

• Haha
Reactions: TKB

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
I have never heard a interview of a NHL coach who is as down to earth as Lalonde is, none of that "pucks in deep" shit. Maybe it's the way Biz, Whit and RJ can bring out the actual human out of their interviees. I don't know but this guy really sounds like just a regular dude.

Edit: and of course im biased, if we lost 4-0 to montreal and 7-2 to devils i would say he is a scumbag.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Tampa Bay is currently in last place in the entire Eastern Conference.

Looks like it was definitely Lalonde that stirred the drink in Tampa Bay and not Cooper. lol
Or do we blame Blashill now for what's going on in TB?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Tampa Bay is currently in last place in the entire Eastern Conference.

Looks like it was definitely Lalonde that stirred the drink in Tampa Bay and not Cooper. lol
Or do we blame Blashill now for what's going on in TB?
I'm sure this board will come up with a handful of different theories to fuel their overreactions. I think I'm going to start using this meme in response:

your-sample-size-7c67f891aa.jpg

• Love
Reactions: SoupNazi and jaster

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
According to Finnish and Swizz news Grönborg is going to the best European team Tappara. Time for Yzerman to smell blood, and get Jalonen as assistant for Lalonde, with the promise that he will be the headcoach? I know Jalonen has said he won't do assistant or AHL gig, but give him a 3 year contract, first 2 as assistant to Lalonde, and the big boy headcoach job on year 3? Who says no?

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
According to Finnish and Swizz news Grönborg is going to the best European team Tappara. Time for Yzerman to smell blood, and get Jalonen as assistant for Lalonde, with the promise that he will be the headcoach? I know Jalonen has said he won't do assistant or AHL gig, but give him a 3 year contract, first 2 as assistant to Lalonde, and the big boy headcoach job on year 3? Who says no?
I’m sure Lalonde says no lol

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Lalonde who will probably want to be in Detroit after 3 years?

Reactions: Gniwder and Macoun

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
While teams have a succession plan for coaches, I don't think there's ever been a case in the NHL where an assistant coach had a promotion written into his contract like that. That's the kind of stuff that happens in college sports when an old time coach retires.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Just this summer he said that he could be an NHL assistant. No takers though.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Lalonde is coach of the year just for how well the Maatta-Hronek pairing is working. He can't be blamed for injuries or Seider & Raymond being in their own heads to start the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad