Confirmed with Link: Derek Lalonde named New Head Coach

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Hägg is ready for the opener, I think it's him.

Would be fun to see both Edvinsson and Johansson paired with Seider. It kind of gives you million options.

At Tampa it was two worst RD carried by Hedman, who was double-shifting. Other pairs locked.
Out "indefinitely" after getting hit in the head with a puck and no updates since. Hagg's injury sounds serious.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lalonde liked to mention at the presser, than our 5-on-5 GAA was encouraging after pre-season games. He said, of course it's only pre-season, but still, the number was smaller than best NHL number of any teams at last regular season.

1.74 GAA (Red Wings pre-season 2022-23)
2.10 GAA Calgary Flames regular season 2021-22 (Best in NHL)
3.04 GAA Red Wings regular season 2021-22 (4th worst in NHL)

Goal-scoring was the almost same, a little bit lower. 2.21 (pre-season) 2.38 at last season.

GF% of 2.1 GF/1.74 GA = 56%. This was 12th best at NHL from pre-season games.

So, from 3-5, 3-6 blowouts we are gonna transfer to a team wich will win games 3-1, 3-2.

Back to winning hockey, with better defensive structure, and players of course.

Biggest pre-season problem was the PK, but Copp and Sundqvist wasn't even at use. Those will be our best PK guys.

Last edited:

DonkeyOT

Jul 18, 2021
You can also help out a bad PK by not taking penalties. So it's controllable in that way as well. Effort penalties are forgiveable, but not dumb penalties. Disciplined, smart hockey. See ya Bert.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Lalonde liked to mention at the presser, than our 5-on-5 GAA was encouraging after pre-season games. He said, of course it's only pre-season, but still, the number was smaller than best NHL number of any teams at last regular season.

1.74 GAA (Red Wings pre-season 2022-23)
2.10 GAA Calgary Flames regular season 2021-22 (Best in NHL)
3.04 GAA Red Wings regular season 2021-22 (4th worst in NHL)

Goal-scoring was the almost same, a little bit lower. 2.21 (pre-season) 2.38 at last season.

GF% of 2.1 GF/1.74 GA = 56%. This was 12th best at NHL from pre-season games.

So, from 3-5, 3-6 blowouts we are gonna transfer to a team wich will win games 3-1, 3-2.

Back to winning hockey, with better defensive structure, and players of course.

Biggest pre-season problem was the PK, but Copp and Sundqvist wasn't even at use. Those will be our best PK guys.

When looking at the PK, how much of it was rookies/AHLers being scored on by NHLers vs. our NHL PKers?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You can also help out a bad PK by not taking penalties. So it's controllable in that way as well. Effort penalties are forgiveable, but not dumb penalties. Disciplined, smart hockey. See ya Bert.
I'm betting that Chia-rot and Hagg are gonna take a lot of dumb penalties.

With added offense and not having to shoulder the entire load, I think Larkin and Bert will get fewer PIMs. Fewer frustration penalties because the team will win a few more games and not suck so bad. (I hope) I have seen it with other rebuilding teams.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
That's 3 in the back, or in the front?
Three in the back
1665542359531.png

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario

My god this is a great episode.

Starting from 1h 51min.

His coaching history, partying, Jon Cooper, Yzerman, rebuild, Söderblom, Edvinsson, Lidström, Cleary, being Montreal and Buffalo Bills fan etc...

Not sure why he would want to tell this story…. Doesn’t exactly put him in the best light.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I can see that working very well with this roster actually, excited to see how it works out. We have a lot of defensively responsible players up front like Larkin, Bert, Perron, Copp, Rasmussen, the list goes on. And a lot of those players have crazy reach too, Rasmussen and obviously Soderblom especially. Those long arms and sticks can block a lot of passing lanes and should really help this type of funnelling system. And as an added bonus, we have several burners on the team as well. Put Larkin, Vrana or Raymond into that F1 position and that's a big breakaway threat on the transition. Now that I've written out some of the potential, I'm even more excited to see this in action than I was when I started this paragraph.

Reactions: TheRatPoisoner

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Not sure why he would want to tell this story…. Doesn’t exactly put him in the best light.

I disagree. I'd say the ability to acknowledge and understand the mistakes he's made to grow and improve in his career puts him in an excellent light.

He wasn't sold on Kucherov, didn't think he was bad necessarily just that he doubted he could be a difference maker for a Cup win. Fortunately he was outranked on that issue, and he later realized he was wrong about it after seeing and participating in the results. You can bet he learned from the experience. And now we can benefit from all that great experience.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I disagree. I'd say the ability to acknowledge and understand the mistakes he's made to grow and improve in his career puts him in an excellent light.

He wasn't sold on Kucherov, didn't think he was bad necessarily just that he doubted he could be a difference maker for a Cup win. Fortunately he was outranked on that issue, and he later realized he was wrong about it after seeing and participating in the results. You can bet he learned from the experience. And now we can benefit from all that great experience.
Anyone with a brain could see Kucherov was a very rare and elite talent.
Lalonde watched him play hockey every single day and was begging them to dump him. He even wanted to be the one to call his agent and give him the news he was finished in TB.

Good thing for TBL there was an adult in the room and Lalonde wasn’t being taken seriously.

He acts like a child by even sharing this story. Usually coaches/brass don’t share negative stories about players or trying to run them out of town until after the player retires.

Someone earlier in the thread was ripping him for referring to himself in 3rd person as ‘newsy’.
I didn’t think much of it…. But hearing him actually do it is very cringeworthy.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

To be fair, Kucherov's regular season play doesn't always scream winner. Often times he refuses to do backchecking and he keeps on cheating on offense, makes high risk plays to polish his stats. He can flip the switch in the playoffs but not everybody can and I understand it can be frustrating for a coach if a player behaves like Kucherov.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Anyone with a brain could see Kucherov was a very rare and elite talent.
Lalonde watched him play hockey every single day and was begging them to dump him. He even wanted to be the one to call his agent and give him the news he was finished in TB.

Good thing for TBL there was an adult in the room and Lalonde wasn’t being taken seriously.

He acts like a child by even sharing this story. Usually coaches/brass don’t share negative stories about players or trying to run them out of town until after the player retires.

Someone earlier in the thread was ripping him for referring to himself in 3rd person as ‘newsy’.
I didn’t think much of it…. But hearing him actually do it is very cringeworthy.
You're completely missing the point.

Lalonde never denied Kucherov having talent. Just that he was not buying into playing a complete game. You can have all the talent in the world, but if all the guys aren't rowing in the same direction, the team won't hit it's potential.

The key is that Cooper realized when to use the carrot versus using the stick in getting somebody to come around. And it appears that was not lost on Lalonde, which should make him a better coach going forward.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Lalonde never denied Kucherov having talent. Just that he was not buying into playing a complete game. You can have all the talent in the world, but if all the guys aren't rowing in the same direction, the team won't hit it's potential.

The key is that Cooper realized when to use the carrot versus using the stick in getting somebody to come around. And it appears that was not lost on Lalonde, which should make him a better coach going forward.
This. Thank you. The narrative of that interview was reconstructed in this thread and it's pretty silly. Lalonde and Cooper agreed about Kucherov, he had issues and they needed to be fixed. They differed on how to go about motivating him to change. Lalonde wanted to be hard on him, but Cooper identified that a softer approach would work in this case, so that's the angle Cooper took, and it worked.

Lalonde didn't want to run Kucherov out of town. That comment he made about calling his agent was clearly tongue-in-cheek. Otherwise, why would he be interested in taking the time and effort to fix Kucherov's game?

Anyway, this all is a pretty good start for this forum in regards to Derek Lalonde's Detroit coaching career that hasn't even seen a regular season game yet.

#firelalonde #letsgoooooo

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario

It’s the coaches job to light a fire under a player and get the most out of him.

Not throw in the towel on an MVP talent and try and run him out of town. I get it he says he changed.

I don’t think he should be fired or anything. But his personality in this interview segment is unprofessional

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Roberts

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This. Thank you. The narrative of that interview was reconstructed in this thread and it's pretty silly. Lalonde and Cooper agreed about Kucherov, he had issues and they needed to be fixed. They differed on how to go about motivating him to change. Lalonde wanted to be hard on him, but Cooper identified that a softer approach would work in this case, so that's the angle Cooper took, and it worked.

Lalonde didn't want to run Kucherov out of town. That comment he made about calling his agent was clearly tongue-in-cheek. Otherwise, why would he be interested in taking the time and effort to fix Kucherov's game?

Anyway, this all is a pretty good start for this forum in regards to Derek Lalonde's Detroit coaching career that hasn't even seen a regular season game yet.

#firelalonde #letsgoooooo

I cant believe anyone is taking his talk about Kucherov as a bad thing. Classic HFboards. Its happened to plenty of players in history.

This Chiclets interview makes me like Lalonde quite a bit

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
It’s the coaches job to light a fire under a player and get the most out of him.

Not throw in the towel on an MVP talent and try and run him out of town. I get it he says he changed.

I don’t think he should be fired or anything. But his personality in this interview segment is unprofessional
:biglaugh:

Reactions: Martinez

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I cant believe anyone is taking his talk about Kucherov as a bad thing. Classic HFboards. Its happened to plenty of players in history.

This Chiclets interview makes me like Lalonde quite a bit
Yeah, I was impressed too. Went into it ready for anything, I had no bias one way or the other, honestly I've barely listened to any of his pressers in Detroit so far. Sounds like he's a pretty personable coach, likes the human interactions, but is also willing to be hard on guys if needed (which is obviously needed more by a head coach than an assistant).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad