Derek Dorsett

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
If he can put up 10 goals and 20 points or so that's good production from the 4th line. That he's averaging well over a shot per game is pretty good as well as that's what you see from good 4th-liners.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
With the way he's playing I think a 2 to 3 year deal at 1.75M would be good. Doubt he'll take a paycut, he'll certainly get better offers than 1.3 or 1.5 on the open market imo.

arsmaster*

Admitted last night in the GDT that I griped a little too hard over the trade for him in the summer.

He basically brings an intangible to the table that can't really be measured, and likely why he's earned himself a pretty handsome annual salary for a limited 4th line player.

I never doubted his ability to play the game, just that using highish picks on 4th liners is something I didn't like, but Benning targeted the right fit. Kudos to JB.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
With the way he's playing I think a 2 to 3 year deal at 1.75M would be good. Doubt he'll take a paycut, he'll certainly get better offers than 1.3 or 1.5 on the open market imo.

If he keeps up his play I wouldn't put a $2.5m offer from some team out of the question.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
If he keeps up his play I wouldn't put a $2.5m offer from some team out of the question.

It's true. A team desperate for some grit and upgrades to their bottom 6 could make a higher offer than 1.75. Edmonton for example...they've already have Gordon at 3 and Pouliot at 4 :laugh:

But hopefully he will take a modest paycut to stay with what appears to be a winner and to continue playing with his main man Willie D.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
But hopefully he will take a modest paycut to stay with what appears to be a winner and to continue playing with his main man Willie D.

My guess would be 3 years at $1.7-1.9mil per. High price for a 4th line player, but having a guy like Dorsett means you don't need to carry a puncher, which has value in it's own right.

Really like the 4th line right now. Having 2 veteran, relentless forecheckers that skate well is good for Horvat.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Yup, love Dorsett's game.

Lots of meat, lots of potatoes.

tumblr_lqo4jf9IU41qcfe3co2_250.gif

I've been trying to think of a nickname for the line. Best I got is: Honey BoDo.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Apparently the Nucks have started contract negotiations with Dorsett.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/contract-updates-canucks-ufa-forwards/

Not a fan of extending him. Where exactly does he fit when everyone is healthy? Benning and co. probably don't want to let him go after spending a 3rd round pick to acquire him in the first place.

Fair point, but if we do re-sign him and his spot gets taken, we can trade him and recoup something next year, maybe not a 3rd, but something.

And if some of the young'uns stumble then he's not bad depth insurance to keep around.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
He has been playing really good as of late eh? A nice combination of points and good ole time rough hockey, you think he can keep this combo up?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He has been playing really good as of late eh? A nice combination of points and good ole time rough hockey, you think he can keep this combo up?

I don't think Dorsett has played all that great as of late. Besides being a willing fighter, he hasn't offered much, because I think his skill level is ultimately holding him back. Since the Canucks roll 4 lines, he's not playing a typical grinder role but playing with Vey and Matthias. I think Kennins has made Dorsett somewhat expendable (except for Dorsett's fighting). I think the Canucks should try sitting him when Kassian comes back and see if Dorsett remains a team player before re-signing him. I think Dorsett is a good player to have, but perhaps not a player you dress every night.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I don't think Dorsett has played all that great as of late. Besides being a willing fighter, he hasn't offered much, because I think his skill level is ultimately holding him back. Since the Canucks roll 4 lines, he's not playing a typical grinder role but playing with Vey and Matthias. I think Kennins has made Dorsett somewhat expendable (except for Dorsett's fighting). I think the Canucks should try sitting him when Kassian comes back and see if Dorsett remains a team player before re-signing him. I think Dorsett is a good player to have, but perhaps not a player you dress every night.

I think Vey and Dorsett have looked pretty good together since reuniting. It helps Dorsett to play RW imo. Their CF% has rebounded from 45% to a respectable 49%. That's encouraging for both of them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad