Penalties Taken: 1.6
Penalties Drawn: 1.2

2012/2013
Penalties Taken: 1.1
Penalties Drawn: 1.7

2013/2014
Penalties Taken: 1.3
Penalties Drawn: 1.4

Sestito took 2.2 while drawing only 0.1 last year. The year before he took only 0.6 but only drew 0.3 penalties.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Yeah. This is what a good "4th line" looks line these days. Some bite and edge, but 3 guys who can all play real meaningful hockey, chip in a bit offensively here and there, and contribute in some way to special teams play. Not a landing spot for plugs and boxers anymore.

Dorsett helps a lot with this.

Absolutely. I also think the 4th line playing 10 minutes a game is massive for any team, and has played a factor in LA's and Boston's success over the years.

A 4th line of Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett could be a top 10 4th line in the league, capable of chipping in offensively here and there, holding their own defensively and playing 9-10 minutes per game which allows the other lines to be more effective as they'll be more rested.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Absolutely. I also think the 4th line playing 10 minutes a game is massive for any team, and has played a factor in LA's and Boston's success over the years.

A 4th line of Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett could be a top 10 4th line in the league, capable of chipping in offensively here and there, holding their own defensively and playing 9-10 minutes per game which allows the other lines to be more effective as they'll be more rested.

Meh. The 4th line is less appealing with three 4th liners on it. Richardson-Horvat-Dorsett looks better.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Tons of those are from fighting. Take a look at the more in-depth numbers:

2008/2009
Penalties Taken(per 60 mins played): 1.6
Penalties Drawn(per 60 mins played): 2.5

2009/2010
Penalties Taken: 2.6
Penalties Drawn: 2.5

2010/2011
Penalties Drawn: 1.5

2011/2012
Penalties Taken: 1.6
Penalties Drawn: 1.2

2012/2013
Penalties Drawn: 1.7

2013/2014
Penalties Taken: 1.3
Penalties Drawn: 1.4

Sestito took 2.2 while drawing only 0.1 last year. The year before he took only 0.6 but only drew 0.3 penalties.

Excellent.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Dorsett made me lol tonight when he got in that scrum and the refs were grabbing him and (I think) Orpik, and Dorsett took Orpik's helmet off and started hitting him with it.

Someone got a replay? :D

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
It's nice to have a 4th liner that can actually play hockey. He's quite dogged on the forecheck, and surprisingly enough, cares a lot about the puck. It really makes me hope they continue trending in that direction with bottom 6 roster players instead of wasting slots on pure enforcer types.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Just thought it should get thrown in his thread, that give and go with Bonino was ridiculous last night.

EA Sports GM

Apr 2, 2013
Vancouver
Been really impressed with the pickup so far, considering 3rd round picks have a pretty low rate of turning into good players. If the player you would have gotten with that pick would be similar to Dorsett, why not get the one that's ready to play right now?

His play without the puck has been good so far in the season, the few points he's been involved in have been the icing on the cake.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Great 4th liner. Hopefully we can keep him here longterm. Seems like a great role player and teammate. He's already played more games as a canuck than that 3rd round pick probably would've.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Great 4th liner. Hopefully we can keep him here longterm. Seems like a great role player and teammate. He's already played more games as a canuck than that 3rd round pick probably would've.

You never know who we might get with the 3rd round pick. He might play more than your average 3rd rounder but its still hard to argue he's worth a 3rd round pick due to the simple reason you rarely see 4th liner cost that much. Of course the other argument is he's good enough to be a 3rd liner and really our 4th line is like a 3rd line.

Regardless, the cost is now sunk cost. Anything we say won't change the price we paid. I doubt Dorsett will actually be "worth" what is cost us... at least if he only plays here for one season and stays on the 4th line. That said, even if he isn't worth what we paid, he's a very good player and an upgrade over any 4th liner we had. If we can sign him long term, that'll be great but only if he cost less than he does now. Not really a fan of paying our 4th liner more than our 3rd liner... nor is it great cap management.

For comparison sake, remember Vey only cost us a 2nd rounder. Raffi Torres at the deadline last year only cost a 3rd rounder in 2013. Lee Stempniak and Anderj Meszaros both only cost 3rd round pick last trade deadline. Hemsky and Fash both cost 3rd and 5th too at the same deadline.

Just for comparison of what a trade of a 3rd would get you (at the deadline). All of those players were obtained to play bigger roles than Dorsett (not saying they are all better players since its arguable). Even Higgins really only cost us a 3rd round pick to get.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I can't believe I'm saying this but..

Why can't Jannik Hansen play more like Dorsett?

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
He's been good so far but I would never want to keep a 4th liner long term.

Why not? With Dorsett you can play 4 lines without him or someone like him you cannot. If we waited for the deadline perhaps the season would be lost.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Wasn't really a fan of trading a draft pick for him, but he has proven me wrong and greatly exceeded my expectations.

Big fan of Dorsett and his game, he has made the 4th line tick this season with his work ethic.

SpaceCowboy

Feb 2, 2012
He's been good so far but I would never want to keep a 4th liner long term.

Some would argue that the reason we declined so much after the cup run was due to us blowing up our back end and letting guys like Rafi walk.

EA Sports GM

Apr 2, 2013
Vancouver
Some would argue that the reason we declined so much after the cup run was due to us blowing up our back end and letting guys like Rafi walk.

That and Manny, Lappy's decline, shooting our depth in the foot. We were so top heavy, and retrospectively we can say that Gillis didn't add the right pieces to round out the bottom 6.

Having a real hockey player like Dorsett on the 4th line is great.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm still not happy with moving a 3rd for a 4th liner, but Dorsett has been has met or exceeded expectations. He has the ability to be possession neutral while playing tough minutes. If he can do that and manage 10 goals, that's a win and a valuable guy on a 4th line.

Of the course the cost is sunk now, so the debate is moot, but I don't know if it still would have been more beneficial to sign a guy like Winnik at no acquisition cost. I figure you'd get similar performance without the draft pick compensation.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning knew what he was doing when he acquired Dorsett...was a key cog in the Rangers' drive to the finals last year, and only cost the Canucks an extra third-round selection (85th overall), which they got in the Kesler trade with Ducks...great energy player, fast skater and tenacious...looking like the Rangers are really missing him...a UFA next year....wondering if they can re-sign him.:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad