Derek Dorsett

JA

456885272_218379568.jpg

Thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

JA

I think he's a good acquisition. Hopefully he'll be a decent physical presence; the team has lacked physicality from its fourth line for quite some time. The fourth line needs to provide grit, and from what I know of him he is exactly the kind of player who can accomplish that. Maybe he'll chip in a few goals too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I really don't have an opinion on him one way or the other. He can play his role okay and can fight if needed so I guess he doesn't hurt us. Doesn't add much, and isn't really asked to.

If he's the guy that's keeping Sestito in the pressbox then I'm a big fan, but meh.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I like that he agitates without doing it in a way that's going to hurt his own reputation or the team's image with the officials. He plays hard and aggressive and that's what annoys the opposition instead of diving and yapping.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Ideal 4th liner in today's NHL, both in ability and cap hit. Been wanting him for years, hope he's re-signed if he keeps it up. Great role player.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
A decent skating 4th liner who hits and can play on the PK. Not much there to not like. I expect he'll be a fan favourite by the end of the season, this market has always loved the lunch pail guys.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Gillis brought in Darcy Hordichuk to be the fan favorite underdog tough guy sheet disturber

Jimbo brings in Dorsett

Hope it works out better

Remember when Hordichuk hit Marty Turco? Good times. I think it was Turco, but man alive that must have been a long time ago.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Gillis brought in Darcy Hordichuk to be the fan favorite underdog tough guy sheet disturber

Jimbo brings in Dorsett

Hope it works out better

Different was that Hordichuk was barely even a hockey player and skated even worse than he played hockey.

Dorsett is a legitimate NHL player and can really skate.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
If Hansen played like Dorsett and Dorsett played like Hansen in both their respective strengths, we would have a bomber 4th line

Dorsett takes the body every signle shift, he brings energy every single shift. Hansen is stuck thinking he's a 2nd liner and lost his physicality.

Dorsett has so much skill that's unutilized because Hansen and Matthias just can't realize their role to hit and bring energy.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Hordichuk was paid 500-775k, Dorsett is paid $1.63m. Not the same, Hordichuk is more comparable to Sestito. Richardson a full time $1.15m 4th linerb (cheaper and free as UFA) is closer to Dorsett.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I like Dorsett's history with Desjardins as a scorer. I think there is a lot of trust there, which is very important for an agitator. I hope he develops the same relationship with Willie as Burrows did with Vigneault.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I'm not impressed so far with Dorsett, but I can't say I'm disappointed. For a guy who's supposed to hit everyone in sight, I can't recall a single body check thrown so far, big or small. Watching other teams play, their role players finish every forecheck with a hit, I wish Dorsett would play the same.

Not only are the Canucks the 3rd smallest team in the NHL, the players that are supposed to be physical aren't. I expect more from Dorsett, especially after giving up a substantial draft pick for him.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I'm not impressed so far with Dorsett, but I can't say I'm disappointed. For a guy who's supposed to hit everyone in sight, I can't recall a single body check thrown so far, big or small. Watching other teams play, their role players finish every forecheck with a hit, I wish Dorsett would play the same.

Not only are the Canucks the 3rd smallest team in the NHL, the players that are supposed to be physical aren't. I expect more from Dorsett, especially after giving up a substantial draft pick for him.

He has 5 hits in two games which is tied for the team lead, he is frequently first in on the forcheck (infact quite often), he is not a big guy or a good fighter so hes not going to lay thunderous hits, but hes an energy pest, who forchecks hard and does not cross the line into dumb penalty territory.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

You should watch him more closely, he doesn't it to make the highlight reels, he hits to establish the forecheck and gain possession of the puck, he's arguably the best forechecker on this team.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
He's a better player then people are willing to give him credit for. Dorsett doesn't get 10 min+ a night because he can hit, he earns that ice-time because he plays well enough that the coach wants to keep putting him out there. It's great when guys want to be able to fill roles but you have to be able to play. Dorsett plays well and then plays his role. It's at the fringes of his game instead of being the focal point. I like it.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
He certainly hasn't been bad and doesn't seem to be a liability, but that doesn't mean he's been great either. I kind of expected more energy and grit from Dorsett, who has built his career on being that kind of player. 5 hits in 2 games is underwhelming if you ask me. He's not playing anymore gritty then any of our pervious revolving door of 4th liners. I'd like to see a little more energy out of him before I start praising his play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad