Confirmed with Link: Derek Dorsett to Vancouver for ANA 3rd '14

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Thank God. Dorsett is a terrible player, and this is why. Opponent sends out tough guy. Tough guy takes liberties because we don't have anyone who can do anything about it. Dorsett goes out and immediately gets the crap beaten out of him. Opponent tough guy looks that much tougher. The energy guy is supposed to work FOR the team he plays for, not against them. This is why he became a better player in the post season when he wasn't supposed to fight. The guy would serve himself better if he stuck to forechecking hard and playing the body and eased off the fighting. Because he gets wore out like last years gym sneakers every time he drops his gloves.
Pretty good summary. Good 4th liner should have to fight much with Tostito taking on everyone out west.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Great deal. Dorsett was very overrated during his Ranger tenure. He simply made too much and was too inconsistent to stay on the roster. Much better players available at cheaper prices during FA.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Thanks.
OK, '15 would likely have a better player for the pick, but now is good too.

Just because a draft is supposed to be "good" or "deep", it doesn't mean that it applies to the third round. They are really talking about the first 15 picks, maybe the top 20, at most the first round and a couple more picks and that's in an exceptional year. By the time you get into the third round, whether the draft is good or deep is irrelevant.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Just because a draft is supposed to be "good" or "deep", it doesn't mean that it applies to the third round. They are really talking about the first 15 picks, maybe the top 20, at most the first round and a couple more picks and that's in an exceptional year. By the time you get into the third round, whether the draft is good or deep is irrelevant.

Id like them to draft the next Brian Boyle at or after that point, you know, once in a while.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
Now lets just hope the pick is good, because our Gaborik return is looking like ass right now.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Maybe Haley finally gets a chance? He would be cheap enough

UFA and he's gone. I would've liked to seen him get a chance, but he isn't an AV type of player. Would say he has a legit shot at an NHL spot on a weaker team. If Haley could win draws and not just take them, and kill penalities (which he can) he would be a very valuable NHLer. I see a team like FLA giving him a shot, or a team like CLB on a 4th line if they need him. Guy can do some damage with thundering hits. Hits like Torres.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Eh. Liked Dorsett. Seems like a cap casualty to me.

REALLY need to re-sign D. Moore now. For the love of god.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
It's turned into Gabby for Brassard straight up. Dorsett is gone, and John Moore is a disaster.

First of all, Brassard had been excellent for this team, especially in the playoffs. But beyond that, I'd say your evaluation of Moore is a bit shortsighted - he's got great physical tools and is still very young. And Dorsett didn't go for nothing, we have a 3rd round pick coming tomorrow for him.

Still on board with that trade, especially given Gabby's injury issues and inconsistent play.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
First of all, Brassard had been excellent for this team, especially in the playoffs. But beyond that, I'd say your evaluation of Moore is a bit shortsighted - he's got great physical tools and is still very young. And Dorsett didn't go for nothing, we have a 3rd round pick coming tomorrow for him.

Still on board with that trade, especially given Gabby's injury issues and inconsistent play.

Not only what we have now, but I don't think you can erase the contributions Dorsett made for us while a Ranger. We got some great play, he completed the best fourth line I've seen on a Rangers' team, and he helped us get to the final.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Not only what we have now, but I don't think you can erase the contributions Dorsett made for us while a Ranger. We got some great play, he completed the best fourth line I've seen on a Rangers' team, and he helped us get to the final.

I think he was a bit of a passenger.

And, worst of all, I think Dorsett was a dumb player.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY

I like Brassard, but he is at least as inconsistent as Gaborik, probably even more so. Also he has not, and probably will not, ever reach Gaborik's offensive ceiling. Gaborik for Brassard straight up has been pretty much what the trade has been thus far. Dorsett was an often injured 4th liner. John Moore was a bottom paired D-Man/occasional healthy scratch victim. Brassard has been the only one that has come close to working out. So far, it's been a straight up deal. And that would/should be considered a terrible trade for the Rangers.

But you're right, it's not over yet. Maybe this 3rd round pick turns into something. There's a 6th round pick too, I think we got from the trade. I'm hopeful one of those picks turns into something. I think the Rangers are above average in picks out of the first round.

As for the John Moore part of the deal, who is still here. John Moore is fast. That is his single tool. That is his single skill. He has a lower hockey IQ than Del Zotto, so I don't see him developing much more. I thought Raffy Diaz looked better than him every time he was allowed in the line up. Those are words that should never be spoken. John Moore is best case scenario a bottom pair defenseman, and probably better suited as a spare part.

4th liner grinder who is gone, and a bottom pair/7th D man to go along with Brassard, so far, is a terrible return for Marian Gaborik.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I like Brassard, but he is as at least as inconsistent as Gaborik, probably even more so. Also he has not, and probably will not, ever reach Gaborik's offensive ceiling. Gaborik for Brassard straight up has been pretty much what the trade has been thus far. Dorsett was an often injured 4th liner. John Moore was a bottom paired D-Man/occasional healthy scratch victim. Brassard has been the only one that has come close to working out. So far, it's been a straight up deal. And that would/should be considered a terrible trade for the Rangers.

But you're right, it's not over yet. Maybe this 3rd round pick turns into something. There's a 6th round pick too, I think we got from the trade. I'm hopeful one of those picks turns into something. I think the Rangers are above average in picks out of the first round.

As for the John Moore part of the deal, who is still here. John Moore is fast. That is his single tool. That is his single skill. He has a lower hockey IQ than Del Zotto, so I don't see him developing much more. I thought Raffy Diaz looked better than him every time he was allowed in the line up. Those are words that should never be spoken. John Moore is best case scenario a bottom pair defenseman, and probably better suited as a spare part.

4th liner grinder who is gone, and a bottom pair/7th D man to go along with Brassard, so far, is a terrible return for Marian Gaborik.

This is so wrong I can't even begin to explain why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad