Confirmed with Link: Derek Dorsett to Vancouver for ANA 3rd '14

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I too would love to hear why. Sounded like a spot on description of John Moore to me.

Yeah, generally speaking guys don't suddenly make massive jumps in hockey iq at the NHL level. People see the skating and the big shot and think Moore has greater potential than he actually does.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Yeah, generally speaking guys don't suddenly make massive jumps in hockey iq at the NHL level. People see the skating and the big shot and think Moore has greater potential than he actually does.

Personally, I was impressed with his decision making as the playoffs progressed especially. By the finals, he would turn the puck over sometimes still, but no more than any of our other defensemen besides maybe Stralman and Klein. I've thought he has steadily improved throughout his time here, and I see no reason to expect that will discontinue.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Personally, I was impressed with his decision making as the playoffs progressed especially. By the finals, he would turn the puck over sometimes still, but no more than any of our other defensemen besides maybe Stralman and Klein. I've thought he has steadily improved throughout his time here, and I see no reason to expect that will discontinue.

Moore played the most sheltered minutes of anyone on the team in the playoffs. He faced nothing but the opposition's weakest forwards and started the vast majority of his shifts in the offensive zone. It would've been stunning if he hadn't been solid in the situation Vigneault placed him.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Moore played the most sheltered minutes of anyone on the team in the playoffs. He faced nothing but the opposition's weakest forwards and started the vast majority of his shifts in the offensive zone. It would've been stunning if he hadn't been solid in the situation Vigneault placed him.

As opposed to Diaz?! Diaz was so sheltered he played almost no minutes in the games he started and was immediately bumped to the pressbox the moment Moore's suspension expired... Those are about the most sheltered minutes you can have.

I'm not saying Moore's a world-beater by any stretch, but he's a respectable 3rd pair guy who has good tools and could still progress.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Agreed.

Moore's hockey IQ is pathetic. I don't see the upside here.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I too would love to hear why. Sounded like a spot on description of John Moore to me.

Think you are selling J Moore a little bit short. He is an above average skater, he's got a physical aspect to him game and throughout the whole playoffs he had a bit of a mean streak. He's not in any way a fighter but when he does he can hold his own (check youtube). He goes into corners and battles unlike Del Zotto did. And although his offensive skills are pretty limited, I do tend to see him join the rush a fair amount of times. Id prefer him over Diaz 7 days of the week. All Diaz would do is shoot the puck when it came on his stick, seemed to be a ticking time bomb. Diaz is pretty unnoticeable to me.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Hockey IQ is such a subjective quality it seems. I remember Kreider being described the same way Moore is now, but I don't think people doubt his Hockey IQ now. Not saying Moore has that kind of ceiling as an impact player, but seriously, as badly as Moore can **** up in the defensive zone, his offensive reads, when and where to rush, his first pass, and his ability to sustain pressure in the offensive zone all illustrate to me Hockey IQ. He certainly has it.

Though to be clear, I don't see him as more than a solid third-pairing option, with upside to grow.

Last edited:

TurgePurge*

Trades arent just players in vs players out. Its nyr situation before and nyr situation after. Gaborik was making 7.5 mil and we traded him for three usable pieces that combined for like 6 mil or so. That gives you flexibility for the rest of the roster. Not to mention he was traded for Frattin a 2nd and 3rd a year later. Double not to mention that watching Gaborik play hockey was a horrible experience. Only Drury, Backman, and Mccabe were as painful to watch. That can't be argued btw.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
I guess I'm in the minority. He was part of a great 4th line...great depth...kept other teams honest.

This team has a window they need to capture, and the chemistry was good. Sometimes teams need to lose together to make it to the next level.

The 3rd rounder in this years draft is likely years away from training camp let alone the big team.

Let's eye what they do with the cap space.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Trades arent just players in vs players out. Its nyr situation before and nyr situation after. Gaborik was making 7.5 mil and we traded him for three usable pieces that combined for like 6 mil or so. That gives you flexibility for the rest of the roster. Not to mention he was traded for Frattin a 2nd and 3rd a year later. Double not to mention that watching Gaborik play hockey was a horrible experience. Only Drury, Backman, and Mccabe were as painful to watch. That can't be argued btw.

Yet he looked like an elite player in LA. I think they will come to know the woe of Gabby over the course of that contract, but today LA looks like they have the magic to turn damaged goods into cups.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
This years UFA list is pretty old and or unimpressive IMO...

Hopefully Sather has one of his infamous trades in the works

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
As opposed to Diaz?! Diaz was so sheltered he played almost no minutes in the games he started and was immediately bumped to the pressbox the moment Moore's suspension expired... Those are about the most sheltered minutes you can have.

I'm not saying Moore's a world-beater by any stretch, but he's a respectable 3rd pair guy who has good tools and could still progress.

I'm not pumping Diaz. My post focused on the notion that Moore's somehow going to take a big leap forward to be a top four guy.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
This is so wrong I can't even begin to explain why.

I think it's fairly accurate. John Moore is fast. John Moore has an average shot. He is otherwise below average in every other category. I just don't think he has a brain for the game. His hockey IQ is very low which is a problem anywhere on the ice, but especially problematic as a defenseman. Kevin Klein was the single greatest thing that ever happened to him. He's not horrible - he's a competent 3rd pairing guy with the proper partner (Klein), but I really don't see much upside.

He sometimes reminds me of Matt Gilroy in a mans body.

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I think it's fairly accurate. John Moore is fast. John Moore has an average shot. He is otherwise below average in every other category. I just don't think he has a brain for the game. His hockey IQ is very low which is a problem anywhere on the ice, but especially problematic as a defenseman. Kevin Klein was the single greatest thing that ever happened to him. He's not horrible - he's a competent 3rd pairing guy with the proper partner (Klein), but I really don't see much upside.

He sometimes reminds me of Matt Gilroy in a mans body.

Very on the nose description of John Moore.

His hockey IQ is so low, it is his worst attribute.

The point about him being Gilrow in a man's body might be the best description of Moore ever. I would even venture to say, Gilroy had a better mind for the game and if he had Moore's body he would be a top-4 D man.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers couldn't afford Gaborik's $7.5M and their other commitments in a $64.3M cap. They traded him for 3 players to fill out the roster. People on this board constantly have trouble with that topic. Dorsett is entering the last season of his contract. The Rangers got a 3rd for him. They will re-sign Brassard and Moore. 1/2 of the Dorsett money will go towards Carcillo. The Rangers need to replace Dorsett. The Rangers have a net gain of $800K to put towards filling out the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad