Confirmed with Link: Derek Dorsett to Vancouver for ANA 3rd '14

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Why? Because John Moore is 23 years old and has all the physical tools to be a top 4 defenseman in the NHL. Sure, it's possible he may have peaked already, not every 23 year old continues to progress. But I don't think we should be writing off a 23 year old defenseman who can skate/be physical/has offensive abilities. To say that Raphael Diaz is better than John Moore is just an absurd comment. Let him continue to develop on the third pairing.

The vitriol directed at certain players for no apparent reason is out of control on these boards. Most of you preach patience and youth and then when we get a talented young hockey player you want to write him off because there aren't immediate signs that he will be an All-Star.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Why? Because John Moore is 23 years old and has all the physical tools to be a top 4 defenseman in the NHL. Sure, it's possible he may have peaked already, not every 23 year old continues to progress. But I don't think we should be writing off a 23 year old defenseman who can skate/be physical/has offensive abilities. To say that Raphael Diaz is better than John Moore is just an absurd comment. Let him continue to develop on the third pairing.

The vitriol directed at certain players for no apparent reason is out of control on these boards. Most of you preach patience and youth and then when we get a talented young hockey player you want to write him off because there aren't immediate signs that he will be an All-Star.
Agreed. I actually think John Moore will get better with more experience. defensemen may take longer to develop and obviously players like mcdonagh are rare since he blossomed immediately

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

You may disagree with it, but there is usually a reason. I definitely think something is lacking upstairs in terms of hockey sense. I'm not saying that he's useless, but I wouldn't expect him to develop into a top 4 d-man.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
You may disagree with it, but there is usually a reason. I definitely think something is lacking upstairs in terms of hockey sense. I'm not saying that he's useless, but I wouldn't expect him to develop into a top 4 d-man.

That's fair. It's certainly possible this is all he will ever be. I don't have a crystal ball.

Other posters saying he's better suited for a 7th defenseman role and that Raphael Diaz is better...I don't know what they're thinking.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think it's fairly accurate. John Moore is fast. John Moore has an average shot. He is otherwise below average in every other category. I just don't think he has a brain for the game. His hockey IQ is very low which is a problem anywhere on the ice, but especially problematic as a defenseman. Kevin Klein was the single greatest thing that ever happened to him. He's not horrible - he's a competent 3rd pairing guy with the proper partner (Klein), but I really don't see much upside.

He sometimes reminds me of Matt Gilroy in a mans body.

He's always a step behind, just a very slow minded person...

I get this vibe from his interviews and specials on him... he's not stupid, but he just seems... slow..

Thesensation19*

So happy.

We brought him in, via trade, so that he could "replace" Prust. The issue with these replacements especially at this role is that it never is a real replacement. Its taking one guy who also plays the 4th line winger position and has a history of fighting and then bringing him because you rid yourself of the previous dude. Not realizing that Dorsett is NOTHING like PRUST.

He doesnt have the skating, skill or ability Prust has. In fact, I dont like Dorsetts hockey ability at all and he may be the worst NHL player I have seen next to John Scott.

Worst of all, is that Dorsett is really bad at the 4th line grinder role. He runs around the ice with out a head on. He hits everything in sight or attempts to, but usually its a moot point. Meaning, he hits but there hardly was a statement made or a value in it. In fact it sometimes takes him out of position. And he got far too many penalties for our team. Usually interference or boarding.

Ridiculous. I am so happy that AV does not have to feel obliged 1 bit to put this guy in anymore. I supported him in the playoffs as we must as fans. He is a Ranger and I thank him for his hard work because I know the guy really worked hard. And he played much better in the playoffs. But he still was a bad player and easily replaceable.

Everyone forgets that the Rangers season was pretty much stagnant until Daniel Carcillo came in and took over for the injured Dorsett. Carcillo has his history of being a trouble maker but the guy knew how to play. He knew when to fight, how to fight and who to fight. He knew when to hit and he was 100x better at agitating the opponent. He even had skill. Some. Carcilos Corsi ratings I believe are much better too.

Overall, this was also a good business move as Dorsett was overpaid for his role.

I hope we resign Carcillo though

Thesensation19*

A lot of people believe we are going to bring in Thornton and all these faces. With cap room, I can see Sather doing so. Especially if hes ridiculously cheap.

However, we crunched some numbers and by getting rid of Richards and giving most of our FA their contracts... we werent left with a lot of room to do much with a 71 million cap. It is now 69? Isnt it.

Makes matters worse.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I am still okay with this deal. All I ask of management is that they don't just forget that they need some sort of toughness/fighting ability in the line-up somewhere.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I am still okay with this deal. All I ask of management is that they don't just forget that they need some sort of toughness/fighting ability in the line-up somewhere.

toughness is overrated. look at -31- s post on how many assets weve given up over the years to try to address that. in the end, you beat teh team on the scoreboard, not with your fists.

im fine with getting hitters, fighters are useless nowadays unless they can play.

McIlrath would address all of these supposed issues in 1 fell swoop. i hope he's ready.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
toughness is overrated. look at -31- s post on how many assets weve given up over the years to try to address that. in the end, you beat teh team on the scoreboard, not with your fists.

im fine with getting hitters, fighters are useless nowadays unless they can play.

McIlrath would address all of these supposed issues in 1 fell swoop. i hope he's ready.

Fighters aren't useless, but I agree, they have to be able to play

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ

I remember this time last year everyone loved John Moore, what a difference 365 days make. I agree with you no reason not to be patient with this kid.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Diaz being better than anyone is a laugh.

Regarding Moore, I'm pretty much with you. Kid's likely not going to be anything special, but he's still young and has an impressive set of physical attributes. Defenseman can take a long time to get comfortable at the NHL level.

Pugs35

Jul 11, 2006
PA
I remember this time last year everyone loved John Moore, what a difference 365 days make. I agree with you no reason not to be patient with this kid.

That's because everyone was to busy hating MDZ. Moore was the shiny new toy.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
whats good and bad about dorsett? watching this years playoffs he was pretty alright in a 4 line role. controlled the puck cycled hits occassionally fought.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
whats good and bad about dorsett? watching this years playoffs he was pretty alright in a 4 line role. controlled the puck cycled hits occassionally fought.

You just successfully summarized him. Some people don't like him because he doesn't win his fights. Other than that completely irrelevant fact, he's a nice grinder.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012

good 4th liner, tremendous on the forecheck. Great for some crash-boom-bang plays, especially behind the opponents' net. Will pot the occasional goal and stand up for his teammates. Very speedy skater.

On the other hand, often takes STUPID STUPID STUPID penalties at the worst times. Not always covering his man in his own end. Doesn't appear to be the most cerebral guy on the ice.

Badko

Jan 9, 2007
You just successfully summarized him. Some people don't like him because he doesn't win his fights. Other than that completely irrelevant fact, he's a nice grinder.

Not being able to win a fight isn't "completely" irrelevant. At times, it can change the momentum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad