Value of: Depth goal scoring in Montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
that'd be dumb of us to trade one of the few dmen prospects we have that has a good first pass in their toolkit

It would be also dumb to not bring in a winger with size/scoring ability too. There are risks with any move you make. Sitting back when you got Price/Weber with good years left and Suzuki/Kotkaniemi/Romanov on ELC/Bridge deals for 3-5 years is also dumb.

Yeah, I'd hate to trade Brook and the 16th but Rakell is a value contract for 2 years and is still young. If you add Rakell, Caufield, and one of Quinn or Holtz (Domi trade), then you can focus on drafting more RD's. That's far from dumb when Weber/Petry will be around for 3-5 more years!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the big fish can’t be landed the notion of domi for Winnipeg’s 10th and our 16th and Brook for rakell has some merit

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Drouin Suzuki Rakell
Lekonen KK Armia
pretty decent for a third line as well as Byron sorta anchoring the fourth line

I'd be curious to see the majority of Ducks fans on the 16th and Brook for Rakell. I think the value is right for both sides but what are the majority of Ducks fans saying about that? I've seen a few of them comment and are ok.

Jets fans say yes/no to the Domi for 10th OA. They want to get an extension first. Some Habs fans would allow that but I would ask for at least a 2022 2nd on top if the sign/trade is in play.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Think I would target someone younger or keep the cap space for the season and see who else pops up
I like keeping the cap space and waiting to see what pops up . I’m guessing a third of franchises will be hemmoraging money losses . Gm’s may not like it but when the owner sends a message to slash payroll by 10-15 million I think the Habs could take advantage of that . I see Florida as one . Arizona obviously. Perhaps Winnipeg even .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Depends on who is available this offseason. Right now Smith looks like one of the better realist options

Nah... I rather target someone from 25-30 range. I'm not signing Smith to a 4 year deal at what? $4M+. I rather keep Poehling and develop him as a power forward winger. We need a winger with size/scoring but it's a big fish. I don't hate the Smith option but he takes all remaining cap space and he will be looking for more than a 1 year deal.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I'd argue that Montreal needs front line scoring, not depth scoring. Replacing the special teams coach might augment the GF of the current group, but they need a top line finisher.

Reactions: malcb33

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like keeping the cap space and waiting to see what pops up . I’m guessing a third of franchises will be hemmoraging money losses . Gm’s may not like it but when the owner sends a message to slash payroll by 10-15 million I think the Habs could take advantage of that . I see Florida as one . Arizona obviously. Perhaps Winnipeg even .

Me and you think close to the same. I've noticed that on several topics. No way I am going to spend our cap space on a 30+ guy that puts up 30-50 pts. We are after size yes but someone in the 25-30 range and 25+ goal ability at least. I don't hate Smith as a hockey player but not the type I would spend all our remaining cap space on and also complicate our expansion draft protection list. Bad idea... especially if he comes with 3 or 4+ years.

This is why Rakell fits... if the Ducks are going to move him for futures. 2 year term is risky as well as trading valuable futures but he's the type we need. Age 25-30 and 30 goal ability with some size. Any move we make comes with risk and I think I would make that move if it was an option

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I'd argue that Montreal needs front line scoring, not depth scoring. Replacing the special teams coach might augment the GF of the current group, but they need a top line finisher.
1 Laine 2 Mantha

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Me and you think close to the same. I've noticed that on several topics. No way I am going to spend our cap space on a 30+ guy that puts up 30-50 pts. We are after size yes but someone in the 25-30 range and 25+ goal ability at least. I don't hate Smith as a hockey player but not the type I would spend all our remaining cap space on and also complicate our expansion draft protection list. Bad idea... especially if he comes with 3 or 4+ years.

This is why Rakell fits... if the Ducks are going to move him for futures. 2 year term is risky as well as trading valuable futures but he's the type we need. Age 25-30 and 30 goal ability with some size. Any move we make comes with risk and I think I would make that move if it was an option
I think we have the same philosophy if we’re talking about seriously competing in the next 1-2-3 years before price and Weber become to old . My concern is though that are we really that close say to competing with a Tampa in those years ? Are we going to pay Petry Gallagher and Tatar there big money contracts as they begin there decline . I can’t help thinking our best route is to go all in with kk Suzuki Romanov primeau norlinder caufield Norris struble, brook etc . When I think of the solid prospects , high picks and cap space this route would provide , in 3?years we would be looking awesome.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I think we have the same philosophy if we’re talking about seriously competing in the next 1-2-3 years before price and Weber become to old . My concern is though that are we really that close say to competing with a Tampa in those years ? Are we going to pay Petry Gallagher and Tatar there big money contracts as they begin there decline . I can’t help thinking our best route is to go all in with kk Suzuki Romanov primeau norlinder caufield Norris struble, brook etc . When I think of the solid prospects , high picks and cap space this route would provide , in 3?years we would be looking awesome.
Meaning selling ggallagher Petry Tatar etc . At the deadline at 50 % retained . A lot of sales will be going on with teams selling players cheap to because of expansion

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

We got no choice really. 100% rebuild is not in the cards with the contracts we have in place. Good luck moving Price and Weber, retaining 50%, and selling on $0.5/dollar value. Even if we makes some moves (Rakell and Domi deals we talked about)... We still might not be a top 5 contender. But I do believe we can get in that 5-10 mix if we trend up in the next 3 years with our kids growing more (Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov, Caufield). After Weber retires, we got lots of cap free and we can reevaluate. At that point, if we feel we want a reset, we can consider moving Price cause he would have less term left and a much higher salary cap than today. At some point after Covid problems are dealt with and extra revenue comes from Seattle and new US TV deal, the cap is going to go up big time!

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Weber is actually another reason I believe in the rebuild philosophy. He is not going to play the last 4 years of his contract for 6 million dollars . It’s simply not happening. Although they made a slight change to the breakdown Nashville is completely screwed if they do not reaquire that contract . Vancouver has already been paying their recapture fees on Luongo so there’s not gonna be any break given to Nashville . That chip can be cashed in within two years .

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
1 Laine 2 Mantha
#3 Rakell #4 Tuch #5 Anderson #6 Killorn..

IMO Montreal needs impact players more so that more depth. They have the space and assets to make something happen, but Berg never wants to put his ass on the line and take a risk. Now is the time to do it if he ever was with the current climate there’s a good chance a player might be available, that normally wouldn’t be.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

IMO Montreal needs impact players more so that more depth. They have the space and assets to make something happen, but Berg never wants to put his ass on the line and take a risk. Now is the time to do it if he ever was with the current climate there’s a good chance a player might be available, that normally wouldn’t be.

Bergevin has clear flaws, but he's never been afraid of making big moves.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

Anderson?

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada

Winnipeg's owner is one of the 5 richest guys in Canada. Good luck.

"The wealthiest is the Winnipeg Jets owner David Thomson, who is worth a huge $38.9 billion — a fortune which makes him the 21st richest person on the planet."

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Winnipeg's owner is one of the 5 richest guys in Canada. Good luck.

"The wealthiest is the Winnipeg Jets owner David Thomson, who is worth a huge $38.9 billion — a fortune which makes him the 21st richest person on the planet."
Well than it wouldn’t be for money reasons that Montreal would get their hands on Laine then . It would have to be because he can’t fit in with wheeler’s clique

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Bergevin has clear flaws, but he's never been afraid of making big moves.
That is true in the case of Subban/ Webber. To me though he’s more the type of GM who makes minor, fairly insignificant trades so he can say he’s done something and save his own ass.

When Montreal had a core of Price, Patch, Subban etc he never supported them properly. I just don’t want that to happen again. He has a lot of assets at his disposal at an ideal time to strike (teams cutting payroll, ED and a flat cap) and so far he hasn’t done anything to land an impact player. Sure Ed and Allen are good additions but not exactly impact players...

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I find he’s trying to play both narratives. He tries to improve the team for today but at the same time never taking from the future . He actually does a good job at both but I think to actually get to the top there’s only one path .

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Habs already have Domi. Maybe he’s their answer to depth scoring?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I would do it, but I'm a big fan of Wood... hehehe, but seriously he's underrated

I don't like that it's two years, but the money isn't bad... I don't know. I'd have to think about this one.

He's a bull-in-a-china-shop type player. He might have some of the best straight-line speed in the league, and he'll use it on every shift. Finishes checks, skates hard, gets mouthy and physical... he's a thorn in the opponent's side.

The problem with him is that he's a low-IQ player, but that issue can be mitigated if you use him in a role where he doesn't have to use his head. Just crash the net, lay some hits, and chase the puck...

So Miles Wood? hehe

Miles Wood is bad bad bad.

Skates fast but brings nothing else.

Eh, I'd say his speed and overall high-energy play has a lot of beneficial secondary effects. It's distracting, to say the least, and gets under the skin of the opponent.

If MTL were short on futures, I'd agree Wood wouldn't make much sense at all. But since you have three 2nd's, I could see it being worth the flyer - especially at Wood's cap hit, and especially in a division with Marchand, Tkachuk, etc.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad