Value of: Depth goal scoring in Montreal

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
In case Bergevin shits the bed this off-season and can't acquire a superstar to put on the wings. we'll have to roll three or even four lines next season.

What I'm looking for here is wingers (mainly RW) who can put 10 or 15 goals or so a year, and who isn't overpaid like crazy. Bonus if the player is a 6'1 or above player, who can play physic.

Could take a bad contract if the term is for one season.

Can trade picks, players and prospects.

What do you have to offer?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
In case Bergevin shits the bed this off-season and can't acquire a superstar to put on the wings. we'll have to roll three or even four lines next season.

What I'm looking for here is wingers (mainly RW) who can put 10 or 15 goals or so a year, and who isn't overpaid like crazy. Bonus if the player is a 6'1 or above player, who can play physic.

Could take a bad contract if the term is for one season.

Can trade picks, players and prospects.

What do you have to offer?
Our team is comprised of depth scoring! You want more???

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Johnson should be good for 20 goals and 40 to 50 points from the 3rd line. Because of cap the leafs have to trade him. Cost would be a 2nd in 2020. He has untapped upside and though he isn't huge he plays with an edge to his game.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I know this year wasn't good for Paul Byron, but before that his 3 prior seasons were 15-25 goal season. Alex Chiasson has 54 goals the last 4 years. Byron has 61 and is better defensively and can kill penalties.

Why give up something to add a guy who isn't as good

Reactions: Old Drunk Guy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I know this year wasn't good, but before that his 3 prior seasons were 15-25 goal season. Alex Chiasson has 54 goals the last 4 years. Byron has 61 and is better defensively and can kill penalties.

Why give up something to add a guy who isn't as good

No to Chiasson unless you are retaining half his caphit! He is exactly what we don’t need!

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Brandon Saad and Dylan Strome for 1st 2020, 2nd 2020 (Hawks own) and Poehling.
Hi, you may have heard a bit about this Covid pandemic thing. It actually caused the NHL to suspend the season for awhile and many teams have lost a lot of money. As a result of that, the cap is staying flat for the next 3 years. Because of that, any team trying to trade lots of salary for middle six players will find very few buyers and the price for these kind of players will be drastically reduced.

In other words...

no.

Reactions: Sam Pollock

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
There's not a lot of superstars available. So I'd put some good money down that they don't land a superstar. I would try and sign Fast since we might be able to. He's not the most physical, but he's tough to play against. Always in the forecheck and plays responsible in his own end.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No to Chiasson unless you are retaining half his caphit! He is exactly what we don’t need!
Whoops, I was talking about having Byron meant there was no reason to add Chiasson. Somewhere while I was changing things I accidently dropped out Byron's name at the beginning.

My point was- No reason to add a 15 goal scorer when the team already has one.

Reactions: hn777

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There's not a lot of superstars available. So I'd put some good money down that they don't land a superstar. I would try and sign Fast since we might be able to.
Habs don’t need a superstar. They could use a top6 winger in a Domi trade who is mid 20’s.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
We need top end scoring, we have enough middle end talent-the problem is they play on our top lines

Reactions: Holystik

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Hi, you may have heard a bit about this Covid pandemic thing. It actually caused the NHL to suspend the season for awhile and many teams have lost a lot of money. As a result of that, the cap is staying flat for the next 3 years. Because of that, any team trying to trade lots of salary for middle six players will find very few buyers and the price for these kind of players will be drastically reduced.

In other words...

no.

If Matheson can be moved at full salary with no sweeteners, Saad and Strome will find buyers.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If Matheson can be moved at full salary with no sweeteners, Saad and Strome will find buyers.
He was being moved for someone with a higher salary..... which makes my point more.

Look at it this way: In order to move $5.3m, Pittsburgh had to take back $4.9m for a D you think isn't good.

Thanks for helping the argument.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

While you might disagree, he pretty much fits everything the OP asked for. OP asked for:

• Depth RW - CHECK
  • Can score 10-15 goals/season - CHECK
  • Taller than 6'1 - CHECK
  • Could be a bad contract if it was just for one year - CHECK
  • Giving up draft picks, players or prospects - CHECK
Perhaps the disagreement should be more with the OP rather than Chiasson as he matches that description to a tee.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Our team is comprised of depth scoring! You want more???

Why not improving on what we have? I wouldn't mind having an other "Byron" or an "Arnia" on the fourth line.
We could roll 4th lines. If we can't get someone to score a lot of goals, let's have a lot of players who can score a bit each.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
We need top end scoring, we have enough middle end talent-the problem is they play on our top lines

We all want a top end scoring dude, but we might not get it. So it's Plan B, so to speak.
"Top End Scoring or BUST!!!1" won't cut is as a strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->