News Article: Denver Post

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I get where you coming from. I agree in his position he is held to a higher standard. My frustration is more that its become the go to response for people to harass and hope to end the career of any public figure that says one dumb thing. People are going to say dumb things. Not everyone has the same beliefs. What he said didnt change anybodys life but his reputation is now possibly permanently damaged. I think he did deserve some punishment but thought a suspension would have been more than enough

I think we have also seen that people can get away with a ton and not have much for repercussions.

Frei is a good writer and a solid journalist, he will be just fine and land on his feet. Plenty of places would love to have him after this blows over, and it will. I do think this was warranted though. His comment was bad enough, and then he doubled down. If he had just sincerely apologized after the tweet, I think he'd still have a job at the Post.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
I think we have also seen that people can get away with a ton and not have much for repercussions.

Frei is a good writer and a solid journalist, he will be just fine and land on his feet. Plenty of places would love to have him after this blows over, and it will. I do think this was warranted though. His comment was bad enough, and then he doubled down. If he had just sincerely apologized after the tweet, I think he'd still have a job at the Post.

I don't think he would. I remember he barely survived last year cuts at DP. They mostly tried to cut then long-time reporters, writers with biggest salaries. For them it was good pretext to cut him now. Do you remember that Dater wasn't fired two years ago after first troubles he has with some of his respnses on twitter. He was suspended the first time. Now they cut Frei straight on.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I don't think it was that, I don't even think it was a genuine racist comment. It was more of a way to be a smartass and point out the irony of a Japanese driver winning the Indy 500 on Memorial Day. He was probably expecting virtual fist bumps for being the first to publicly point it out.

It's an horrible mistake to think that, as a journalist, you can tweet the same BS you'd say to your drinking buddies. His apology was worse that his original comment IMO.

I wish had screen-shot the tweet, but Chambers quoted Frei's tweet and added "I think he's on to something". He's deleted it now. So basically the only person dumb enough to give him a virtual fist bump is the hopeless buffoon that is now the only person covering the Avs for the local paper.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I wish had screen-shot the tweet, but Chambers quoted Frei's tweet and added "I think he's on to something". He's deleted it now. So basically the only person dumb enough to give him a virtual fist bump is the hopeless buffoon that is now the only person covering the Avs for the local paper.

They should fire Chambers for that too. DP's Avs coverage goes full ESPN.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

148.gif

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
What the ****.

I wouldn't be mad at all if Chambers got fired and the Post just didn't cover the Avs. Can't be much worse than what we already have.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
The Avs are still a mess and the only guy assigned to covering them now at the Post is Mike freakin' Chambers... how the heck did we get here?!?!

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
The Avs are still a mess and the only guy assigned to covering them now at the Post is Mike freakin' Chambers... how the heck did we get here?!?!

We were at the top of the mountain, then lived up to our name...that is to say, we avalanched down to the bottom...

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Well if it wasn't yet obvious that BSN is now the main Avs outlet...

I would argue they wrestled that tile away from the Denver Post when they actually had people covering Varlamov's trial (since it was of interest to the Avs fan base) and the DP didn't.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think it truly happens until BSN start getting exclusives. The Avs were still feeding the DP things other outlets were asking for. It might happen now since I presume they like Dater more than Chambers but we'll see.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I don't think it truly happens until BSN start getting exclusives. The Avs were still feeding the DP things other outlets were asking for. It might happen now since I presume they like Dater more than Chambers but we'll see.
More like we'll finally get what the Avs want and just not have press coverage of the team.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

The Avs will just up their output of their own news. They already announce a lot it themselves.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I think it was something like Umm well that's something. I even asked my husband at the time what the hell he was trying to say. I couldn't figure it out.

For what it's worth, TV is right here. Word for word if memory serves. I too had no idea what Chambers meant in his tweet, but it isn't clearly supporting Frei's tweet. I don't know why he bothered to retweet it though, being something he should have obviously steered clear of.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
So in other words, the media group covering this dumpster fire of a team is somehow more of a train wreck?

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
For what it's worth, TV is right here. Word for word if memory serves. I too had no idea what Chambers meant in his tweet, but it isn't clearly supporting Frei's tweet. I don't know why he bothered to retweet it though, being something he should have obviously steered clear of.

I have the screen shot. The exact tweet from Chambers was, "Umm, you got something there"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad