News Article: Denver Post

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My grandather was a cantankerous ol' cowpoke from Wyoming and Marine who served in the Pacific in WWII. If he ever had a problem with Asians (I happen to be the son of an Army soldier and a Korean immigrant) I certainly never noticed. He was as kind a man as I've ever known and we were close up until his death in 1988. He would not have been pleased with Mr. Frei had he been around to see those remarks.

I was in Colorado visiting friends and family when all this garbage went down. I was actually elated to see while watching TV with my old man in Golden that a Japanese man had won the Indy 500. So I'm even more angry with Terry Frei that his willful (and utterly unjustifiable) ignorance has now left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

I really enjoyed Frei's coverage and commentary in past years, very, very disappointed, angry, and disheartened that a guy as supposedly well-educated and cultured as he is would make a public statement so utterly moronic. At one point I felt a pang of pity for the man but I don't anymore. He deserved to lose his job, as did Dater for his shenanigans.

And I agree, now having nothing but Chambers and Kiz (UGGGGGH) as the Post's Avalanche coverage is not acceptable. I'll be leaning more toward MHH, Eurolanche, and BSN for my Avs news.

The Westword article I read on the whole fiasco suggested that Frei did the Post a favor...that they are likely going to have to swing the axe in order to cut costs and Frei might've been a goner anyway. Take that for what it's worth.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I have the screen shot. The exact tweet from Chambers was, "Umm, you got something there"

What does that even mean? At least he was smart enough to delete it and avoid getting caught up in that **** storm.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Varlamov’s $5.9 million cap hit over the next two seasons also was reason the Golden Knights were believed to have zero interest in the Russian.

Colorado, which finished with a league-low 48 points last season, is in a roster rebuild but an elite young defensemen is at the top of the needs list. Problem is, the draft’s highest-rated defensemen don’t appear worthy of the No. 4 overall pick. Right-shooting Cale Makar of Canada is the top North American defenseman but is rated ninth among North American prospects. Finland’s Miro Heiskanen, a lefty, is the top European defenseman, but No. 4 overall among his peers.

Chambers in his two articles. Boy oh boy it's worse than I expected. I think he even doesn't read what other much better hockey journalists are writing. Dater said something opposite regarding Varly and in case of Makar and Heiskanen scouts are praising them and they are definitely worth to be picked at 4.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Chambers in his two articles. Boy oh boy it's worse than I expected. I think he even doesn't read what other much better hockey journalists are writing. Dater said something opposite regarding Varly and in case of Makar and Heiskanen scouts are praising them and they are definitely worth to be picked at 4.

Try to post the link next time so we don't have to fish for it.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/19/nhl-draft-avalanche-could-trade-pick/

What an absolute piece of garbage article. 2 defensemen are ranked in the top 4.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Try to post the link next time so we don't have to fish for it.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/19/nhl-draft-avalanche-could-trade-pick/

What an absolute piece of garbage article. 2 defensemen are ranked in the top 4.

Will do. Thanks :)
here is about Varly/Picks
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/2...oalie-calvin-pickard-to-vegas-golden-knights/

and here is Dater "response" on it
http://bsndenver.com/sources-las-ve...mov-if-hed-been-available-in-expansion-draft/

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
The one comment on the Pickard article is hilarious aswell :laugh:

Why buy out Beauchemin? He only had a year left and was a good mentor to the young guys. And now Pickard??? He probably was our best player last year.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Chambers is a ****ing hack. Always has been, always will be. Best to ignore him & the DP completely and lend support to the guys who actually care.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I feel like Chambers stops to get kicked in the head by a horse everyday before he comes in to work.

What did he do, just look up the Central Scouting rankings, and then call it a day?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Don't know why BSN folks have been going on a Denver Post put down campaign. Those guys just can't help making themselves appear unprofessional.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Don't know why BSN folks have been going on a Denver Post put down campaign. Those guys just can't help making themselves appear unprofessional.

I think Dater is no fan of DP after all that happened between him and them. I'm from Poland not States not even mention Denver but IMHO DP as main newspaper in Denver should cover AVS the best way they can. Right now it's quite opposite. Guy who is main and right now only beat-writer knows almost nothing about Avalanche. I'm here sitting in Poland not in Denver based only on information I can find on twitter and Internet would write articles with more bona fide information than he is doing being in Denver. Of course my English is not as good as his but I can find more genuine information about AVS than he does. It's frustrating that DP doesn't care about AVS at all. I know they are quite bad but still it's one of major sports.
So I understand guys from BSN they also could be frustrated that person like Chambers is main beat-writer for AVS.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

It's definitely not ideal that BSN (mainly Dater) does that. Now, I've been able to catch wind of how Chambers is when he's not writing terrible articles about the Avalanche and/or espousing his forever love of the DU Pioneers, and...it's probably how you'd expect someone who writes like that to be. It doesn't excuse BSN from that, but my belief is that both he and Dater do not like each other, and it definitely seems to stem from their days working at the Post together.

Doesn't excuse it, I wish BSN wouldn't do it (since I think they're on their way to providing better Avs coverage), and we'll hope to see that reined in going forward.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
So I understand guys from BSN they also could be frustrated that person like Chambers is main beat-writer for AVS.

Laughing at the mistakes Chambers makes does nothing about that and if BSN doesn't realize it's not their place, they can settle in to being a minor fan blog.

It's definitely not ideal that BSN (mainly Dater) does that. Now, I've been able to catch wind of how Chambers is when he's not writing terrible articles about the Avalanche and/or espousing his forever love of the DU Pioneers, and...it's probably how you'd expect someone who writes like that to be. It doesn't excuse BSN from that, but my belief is that both he and Dater do not like each other, and it definitely seems to stem from their days working at the Post together.

Doesn't excuse it, I wish BSN wouldn't do it (since I think they're on their way to providing better Avs coverage), and we'll hope to see that reined in going forward.

I understand Dater having some bad blood there but AJ going on a several tweet tirade is ridiculously stupid. I think they do see it as a publicity stunt of sorts at this point and it would be reined in eventually.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
At least we're getting some entertainment from two of the worst journalists in the game of hockey.

As long as we don't have to read any of their articles, I'm fine with it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I feel like Chambers stops to get kicked in the head by a horse everyday before he comes in to work.

What did he do, just look up the Central Scouting rankings, and then call it a day?

Yes. That's all he's done for years and makes his "analysis" from that. Remember when he said we had no shot at Mikko but could probably get Provorov based on the rankings?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I understand Dater having some bad blood there but AJ going on a several tweet tirade is ridiculously stupid. I think they do see it as a publicity stunt of sorts at this point and it would be reined in eventually.

Yeah, I've noticed that to. It's one thing to give the Post or Chambers crap as fans, but if you're trying to get taken seriously as a media outlet, you should check your ego at the door a bit. That's one thing that gets on my nerves with some of the guys there. A bit too much arrogance. You're just reporting on hockey. And you're not always as spot on with your analysis as you think you are.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
and yet somehow Rick Sadowski is stuck at hockeybuzz :shakehead

Yep.

Of course Westword did say Terry Frei sorta did them a favor. They might have been forced to lay him off anyway.

Very alarming what's happening in sports journalism circles.

Guess I'm relying on BSN, MHH, Hockeybuzz, and Eurolanche for the foreseeable future.

I'll probably pay for a subscription to The Athletic if they open up a branch in Denver.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yep.

Of course Westword did say Terry Frei sorta did them a favor. They might have been forced to lay him off anyway.

Very alarming what's happening in sports journalism circles.

Guess I'm relying on BSN, MHH, Hockeybuzz, and Eurolanche for the foreseeable future.

I'll probably pay for a subscription to The Athletic if they open up a branch in Denver.

MHH is completely worthless, except for tigervixxxen's marvelous takes.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad