Denver Post: Denver Post Thread

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I honestly don't know... their failure is probably as much on them as it is the Avs. Most sports teams are afraid of blogs and their lack of professionalism at times. Present yourself in a professional manner (and join the right organizations... PHWA for one) and associate with the right people and outlets then you should be able to get one.

Boulding is a perfect example, associate with the right people (in his case Mile High Sports) with your blog and you can get media credentials.

Didn't Boulding get straight up hired by the Avs?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Didn't Boulding get straight up hired by the Avs?

He did in September, but he was mostly a blogger before (worked with Mile High Sports as well) and had media credentials. He was a member of the PHWA and that was probably his big key to getting media credentials with the Avs. They are expected to uphold a standard that bloggers are not.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Yeeeah, I don't think MHH does enough to warrant press credentials. Some of the folks who now run that site also seem to come off as keyboard heroes a lot of the time - bickering about petty BS, baseless arguments, etc. Doesn't exactly scream "professionalism".

Frei has seemed absolutely miserable since going back on the beat. Send him out to pasture.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
It's the Avalanche more than anyone. A lot of teams are more lax about who they give media passes to but the Avalanche (and DP) seem to still be living in the 90's era. If Lou Lamoriello lets bloggers into his building and you don't it's time to maybe poke your head outside of the cave and see how everyone else is doing things.

And being a member of the PHWA does help but it's no guarantee.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's the Avalanche more than anyone. A lot of teams are more lax about who they give media passes to but the Avalanche (and DP) seem to still be living in the 90's era. If Lou Lamoriello lets bloggers into his building and you don't it's time to maybe poke your head outside of the cave and see how everyone else is doing things.

And being a member of the PHWA does help but it's no guarantee.

The only thing I will say is that Boulding got one, so it isn't impossible. You just have to have the right connections (really not that hard in Denver) and always act professionally.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
MHS is a real publication though, not a blog.

I do wish MHH would cut down on some of the fan stuff but they do good work and have covered things such as practice and camp very well. I wish they could be allowed in under those settings as a trial and then if things go well they could get access at the Pepsi Center.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Frei and Dater think they need to be handed scoops from the team, so they can be the first one to report on it. It's a give and take relationship. What exactly do they provide the team for them to hand over this information to them? Constant *****ing and moaning about nonsense does not earn you scoops falling in your lap.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Frei deleted his tweet. I remember Frei, I remember.

Please tell me if I understand this correctly: Frei suddenly said that he'd no longer do Roy press conferences? Then publicly tweeted that?

If I have that part right, does anyone know exactly why he made that decision? Aside from the fact that he has a high opinion of himself?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Frei and Dater think they need to be handed scoops from the team, so they can be the first one to report on it. It's a give and take relationship. What exactly do they provide the team for them to hand over this information to them?

I'm still not sure I understand what's happening in this situation, but to try and answer your question: IMO, Frei kissed Lacroix's ass about 2,485,238,981 times over the years. He was always politically correct in his 'criticism' of the Avs and their management. Perhaps he feels like that should be paid back a bit. :dunno:

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Please tell me if I understand this correctly: Frei suddenly said that he'd no longer do Roy press conferences? Then publicly tweeted that?

If I have that part right, does anyone know exactly why he made that decision? Aside from the fact that he has a high opinion of himself?

Yeah, that is how I understood it.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Eurolanche. If a couple of their guys wanted to move to Denver.
(probably have to change the name, but still...)

I could not agree with this more.

Definitely think that I have enjoyed the content that Eurolanche share with us more than anything the local media puts out regularly.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Yes that's what happened.

The reason was twofold. One they get angry when the Avs release big news themselves. Such as the EJ thing and they also were angry when the Avs tweeted that Varly was injured the first time. I guess they think they are entitled to be given the big scoops so they can report it first.

Second, it's been an ongoing thing that the DP is annoyed when they are the only one asking questions at a presser and then Altitude or the Avs film it. I guess presumably "scooping" his "work". To that I say the Avs own the "content" and there's plenty times I see him using quotes that players give to Moser/Julie/Kyle/Boulding. I don't know why those folks don't ask questions in the presser, it's not like they are incapable of it but more that the presser is for the "journalists" which Frei seems to think he's entitled to how those are run too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm still not sure I understand what's happening in this situation, but to try and answer your question: IMO, Frei kissed Lacroix's ass about 2,485,238,981 times over the years. He was always politically correct in his 'criticism' of the Avs and their management. Perhaps he feels like that should be paid back a bit. :dunno:

Nah, I think they're just lazy and have ego issues. Not having news spoon feed to them irritates them.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Terry Frei ‏@TFrei 2m2 minutes ago
Berra and Varlamov are goalies here at practice. Avs will keep announcing everything privately and cover themselves from now on.

My goodness he is a baby... :shakehead

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Give it a rest, Frei! I'm not even gonna bother with him from here on out - he doesn't want to be there, and his insight is nonexistent. He's just hoping to draw more attention to his books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad