Dennis "The Everbeast" Everberg

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Dennis has really become the best shot blocker on the team, and IMO one of the better guys in the league. I don't think he get enough credit for this. It's not just his anticipation and willingness that gets the job done, he reacts to the shot like a goalie and moves into it. Makes a lot of leg saves where he kicks out or lays his leg down to stop it. He's kind of a bit of a throw back to when you saw bottom six guys specialize in this and use it all the time. It's not really done as much anymore.

I noticed him doing this well toward the beginning of the season, but he's gotten more and more confident in his ability to do so, and has just gotten better and better at it as the season's gone along.

It's really added a huge element to the team, because shot blocks are obviously very important, but Varly doesn't like his guys blocking his sight lines so they don't always do it. If you have a guy like Everberg who you know will get the puck and not just screen Varly, it really limits a lot of those point shot/rebound type of dangerous chances with a crowd in front that has become one of the main strategies to score in the NHL.

Yea, this is something I noticed since he first came up. Really good at reading the trajectory of the puck and getting in the lanes. He does a good job of blocking the puck without a desperation dive too, he stays on his feet and reacts after the shot.

I really hope he works hard on his lower body strength, if he can be stronger on his skates he will be a lot to handle out there.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Translation of this: http://www.hockeysverige.se/2015/04/...forward-i-nhl/

The Star of Dennis Everberg: ”Has clearly talent to become a top-6 forward in the NHL

Dennis Everberg has taken the mastodonstep (basically a huge leap) from Allsvenskan straight to the NHL.
The Västerås-born former Rögle-player has impressed his established teammates.
“He has the talent to become a top-6 forward in the NHL” says Matt Duchene.

In the category of unexpected Swedish successes, the rookie-season of Dennis Everberg is seen as one of the big exclamation marks this winter. The 23-year old went straight from Allsvenskan to a spot in Colorado and has impressed many.
One of them is Avs star-centre Matt Duchene who occasionally has had Everberg on his wing.

“He’s playing really well. He has the talent to become a top-6 forward in the NHL. He works hard, has good hockey sense and talent. Now he’s playing in a different role and does it well, but it’s fun to see him grow as a player and a person. I really like playing with him” says Duchene who adds:
“He’s a quiet, but funny guy. All the time we laugh at something he does or says. And his hair is everywhere! It’s an awesome guy to have on the team."

He opened everyone’s eyes

The constantly well-spoken captain Gabriel Landeskog has obviously a big pile of good things to say about his new teammate as well.

“He has done it well. He probably felt before the season he would be in the AHL for some time, but surprised in the training camp. He was very good there and he opened everyone’s eyes so he stayed (in the NHL). He was very effective."

Everberg had a shoulder injury in autumn and got to play in the AHL after that, but has since played regularly for the Avalanche.

“He has gotten better and better as the season has gone on. You can see how he feels more and more comfortable. He has the courage to do things, to keep the puck and make drag-moves. He will be a really good player, and has really good hands for being so tall” says Landeskog.

Everberg himself hasn’t thought about much more than to keep working as hard as he can. It clearly takes you a long way. In 53 games Everberg has produced 12 points (3+9) and had an average of 11:54 of ice time/game. Clearly a passing grade if you are undrafted and come directly from the 2nd division in Sweden.

“It has gone a bit better than expected. If you look back on the season, I still came from Allsvenskan. Obviously you’re disappointed as you want to perform better.”
“I went to training camp with the target of getting a place in the NHL, and then you see where that leads you. I went 100% every day, which is the only thing you can do.” (says Everberg)

What does the coaching staff want from you and your contribution?

“I don’t know, we haven’t talked that much. I would presume that it is what I do now. I’m fast and I shall forecheck. Then there are things I can improve on. In a perfect world they want me to keep the puck in the (attacking) zone and create long attacks, like a normal 3rd-liner.”

That step from Allsvenskan to the NHL then? We are very curious how huge it is.

“It is quite big. The physicality brings a big difference. Everyone is so much more physically developed here. Then the tempo, you have no time here. There are not many mistakes here, but when someone makes one it’s in the back of your net (loose translation). That is the big difference between the NHL and AHL. In the AHL there are lots of mistakes."

“He flashes and makes some nice dekes”

Gabriel Landeskog can see how Everberg is starting to get acclaimed more and more with the North American playing style.

“When it comes to the system, it is a bit different than home in Elitserien (SHL). I think he has noticed that in the last few months. In the beginning you could see he wanted to search for more time and things like that, but there really aren’t those spaces on the ice here. You can see he is starting to think and feel where there are any free pockets of ice here, where he can get some more time and what he should do to be effective” says Landeskog who has a clear analysis of Everberg’s qualities.

“He flashes and makes some nice dekes, he is very effective in covering the puck, and big and strong in the corners. He is also really good on the PK.”

Landeskog tries to help him where he can, but says that the acclimation is a process and for the most part Everberg has to go through it on his own.

“A bit, but on the other hand I felt a bit like I had to learn it on my own when I came here. I think Dennis has noticed this, and he has done really well. He’s really alert and is listening what guys are talking about. For everyone who comes over (from Europe to America), it is a really good quality to have."

Everberg himself if thankful for Landeskog’s presence.

“I think it’s awesome. It makes you feel secure and safe to have a Swedish captain, obviously” (loose translation).

(here some stuff about the SHL which isn’t relevant in the NHL context)

Have you had any wow-moments so far?

“I had time to think after we faced Pittsburgh. Crosby came against me as I stood on the red-line, stood on my heels and he played right through me. Then other times I have skated and hit a wall and someone has hit me. There aren’t anyone who let’s up here” says Everberg and smiles wryly when Wow-moments are talked about.

How fun has it been to play here then?

"It is awesome. It is something you dream about your entire life, something to strive to achieve. Sometimes you have to stop and think where you really are. You appreciate it."

Last edited:

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Sometimes some looser translation, but the entire article right there (except the part where he talks about some older swedish teams).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Sometimes some looser translation, but the entire article right there (except the part where he talks about some older swedish teams).

Thanks so much! I'd love to see Everberg with Duchene for a bit, I think they've combined for a couple goals just from broken line changes. I think what Duchene needs is a quy with hockey IQ and someone who gets to the front of the net. And as was mentioned that he blocks a lot of shots and the perfect compliment to that is a speedy forward who can turn those into breakaways. Also liked how he described how the leagues are different, you just usually hear "faster and stronger".

Last edited:

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
dope interview. thanks for sharing. i found it interesting that duchene thinks he has top 6 potential. hopefully he can develop his offensive skills in the ahl next season playing top minutes, play 3rd line role for the following season/ slide up when needed and then fill a vacant spot of iggy/tangs the following season

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
dope interview. thanks for sharing. i found it interesting that duchene thinks he has top 6 potential. hopefully he can develop his offensive skills in the ahl next season playing top minutes, play 3rd line role for the following season/ slide up when needed and then fill a vacant spot of iggy/tangs the following season

Yeah, I don't think Everberg is playing in the AHL next year, not after what he's done this year.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think so either. They got rid of Talbot to free up a roster spot. It would have been ideal if he had more AHL time this season but considering he played almost 60 NHL games it would be a bit odd to send him back at this point. I do wonder if they send him down for the last week of the AHL season since it runs one week longer than the NHL.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Everberg will be a mainstay on this team given the season he's had. Roy trusts him so much now I love it. He's out there for important PK's, he's out there protecting leads late in games, he's out there as a 6th attacker. He's going to be a mainstay on this team next season on the 3rd line. I just hope Rendulic can have the same type of season next year as Everberg had this year and those two can become fixtures on the 3rd line

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Dude isn't getting demoted. We traded Talbot because Everberg made him expendable.

If he can develop a scoring touch I think he has top 6 potential. The guy is already a very good defender and possession player (board work, simple but smart and effective playmaking). If he learns how to score around the net (mainly needs to work on getting the puck up over the goalie) I think he would be the perfect "3rd wheel" to a top6 line.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Much appreciated.

As for the AHL, that time has passed for Dennis. He will be given every chance to build on this season next year and is all but guaranteed to start next year on the third line with Malkin and McGinn or Tanguay. Rendulic should start next year on a scoring line in Cleveland, but EVB won't be there unless he takes a step back and needs to regroup at the lower level.

Looking further ahead, I agree that he looked nice next to matty and compliments matty very well with his defensive work, his willingness to go infront of net, and most of all his smart little passes and puck control. Matty having someone who can hold the puck and spring him is huge and why he's thrived with Tanguay. Given that Matty and Iggy are sure to be butt-buddied next season I think Everberg will actually be a better backup to Tanguay on that line than McGinn

...though truth be told, I'm kinda hoping to see an Everberg-Duchene-McGinn line if McG's back heals properly. EVB as the smart puck control guy, McGinn as the trigger man, and Matty doing his thing with them there to support him on a line where they're all fast and physical. Plus that could lead to a reunion of the Tanguay-Malkin-Iggy line that was so effective during its time together before ROR replaced Malkin in that spot.

Landy-ROR-MacK
EVB-Dutchy-McG
Tnags-Malkin-Iggy

would be line combos that I'd really like to see tried at some point next season.

Last edited:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I just dont see the potential for top-6. His shot is awful and his hands are no that good either . OK third liner. I'd be happy with that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just dont see the potential for top-6. His shot is awful and his hands are no that good either . OK third liner. I'd be happy with that.

Disagree. His hands are quite good and he does a great job of using his body to help protect the puck until he can make a clever pass. If he had Iggy's, or even just McGinn's, shot that would be huge, but even without a good shot his other skills are strong enough to make him a quality middle 6er as he matures and gets stronger on his skates. Not to mention that his particular set of skills just so happen to be the skills that tend to fit next to Duchene very well, so even if he never becomes a proper top 6er in his own right he could be effective when needed in the top 6 for this team.

I think in the long run he'll be a third liner who can step up to the first 2 lines as the third man to a leading duo...like McGinn if McGinn had puck-control and passing as his offensive skill instead of shooting...but for next season; there's just something I like about the way an Everberg-Duchene-McGinn line should work together. Particularly since it would let us roll out Tanguay-Malkin-Iggy, which would be a great "third" line.

Now I do think that even with the cap existing some team will make a 3 top lines approach work and that will be the next big tactical advantage a team will utilize to maintain a competitive advantage over their competition. So to me having a great third line and quality second line is more appealing than loading up the second line and having a solid-to-good third line. Particularly since I think EVB-Dutchy-McG wouldn't be much less effective than Tangs-Dutchy-Iggy have been, whereas Tangs-Malkin-Iggy was massively better than EVB-Malkin-McG would likely be. And I know that many disagree with that thinking, but it's something I'd like to see happen so we could judge it on its results, and not just our theories.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
I would love for Everbeast to reach his potential and become Duchenes line mate with Iginla. We would have lethal first and second lines.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I definitely think he's going to be a 3rd liner for the future but I disagree on that assessment. He's got some real good hands, and a shot can always improve over the summer.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Extremely intelligent player. Always has his head up, refuses to get rid of the puck under pressure, but at the same time doesn't Malkin it and end up turning it over. Really like his work along the boards, and as noted, his shot blocking and ability to get himself into the lanes has been very impressive. I think he can carve out a nice future as a good 3rd line player. Kudos to the scouting department on this one.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I don't see the Top 6 potential, but I do see good 3rd line potential. Nice find by the scouting staff on this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad