Dennis "The Everbeast" Everberg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not my nickname, I think credit goes to Mars.(?)

Figured he deserved some love with a thread of his own. We never even had a thread for his signing that I could bump.

What a great story though. Talk about making the most of your opportunity. He had a great pre-season, and followed that up by being arguably the Avs best player the first four games of the season. Duchene actually called him the only bright spot in that ugly first game of the season. He's just so solid in every area.

Not afraid to charge into the corners for the puck, but does it smart. He doesn't go in recklessly and risk an injury or a penalty. He just muscles the guy off the puck and tries to move it to the open guy. A lot like how Landy does it in such a smart way.

One of the most impressive things I saw though was tonight where he had been working hard on the forecheck, and then got absolutely rocked and the Leafs quickly transitioned the puck up ice. Kind of one of those play early in a new NHLer's career where it's like, "ok you've been having your way so far here, now take this and let's see what's up." Just a real good test of the kids battle. He could have loligagged back, or maybe gone for a change, but he got up and hustled back, and ended up having to stay on the ice for a long shift where he didn't look out of sorts. Didn't look for revenge or panic, just stayed composed, and in position to make the smart play with the puck trying to get it out. That really solidified my impression of him being able to stick in the NHL.

His size is a big beneficiary to his game, but he's transitioned so well mainly because of his smarts and his speed. He skates pretty well for a big man at 6'4", and can handle the puck in transition, and also has a really strong power move to the net that no one on the team (even Landy) can really match. He can play with talented players, but he's also displayed a very solid defensive game, that I think will make him a good 3rd liner at some point on this team.

Always works hard, and there probably isn't a guy I'm rooting for more at this point to pick up his first goal of the year. The best part is it doesn't really feel like he's a flash in the pan kind of guy, he seems like he can sustain his strong simple play most of the year.

If he can add a strong PK element to his game, this could be one of the best under the radar signings of the year, especially considering they got him signed for one more year at $612.5k.

Last edited:

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Shows how much we needed an effective big body in the lineup.

I'll be irate if he goes down to Lake Erie over the likes of Cliche, Mcleod, Bordy and even Talbot.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy did have him PK a bit yesterday, and he played PK a lot in the preseason game. His defensive game is one of the reasons he's up here and not Rendulic.

He's a very intelligent player. When I went to rookie camp, he didn't stand out at all, and I remember posting on here that he looks like a guy who would play better in game situations, and that's certainly the case. He played well in tight areas.

By far my favorite part of his game is how when he gets the puck down the right wing, he just tries to take it to the net, like he did tonight in the 3rd. He was close in the 1st period too.

Roy has had him out late in the last two games and seems to be gaining trust. I still have hope he won't be immediately scratched when Mitchell returns.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Everberg is coming from the second league in Sweden and is miles ahead of guys that were on our 4th line last year.

There is a lot more guys like Everberg in Europe who could play in the NHL instead of guys like Cliche and McLeod.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I'll be irate if he goes down to Lake Erie over the likes of Cliche, Mcleod, Bordy and even Talbot.

Roy has had him out late in the last two games and seems to be gaining trust. I still have hope he won't be immediately scratched when Mitchell returns.

I think he's got to have earned staying in the lineup over Cliche at this point. Talbot can center the 4th line, or maybe Mitchell can work his way back into game shape, and they can keep the top 9 as is for the next few games since the top 6 is starting to click.

When Winchester comes back is the bigger question. He looked pretty good in the pre-season games I saw, and may have earned a right to get a shot as a vet. At that point I don't know what you do if everyone else is healthy.

Tanguay and Briere may still not be playing that well, but I don't see Roy scratching them this early in the season. Either way, I think he at least deserves to be the 13th forward over Cliche at this point, who can be sent down if need be.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
He's been great so far. Always keeps his feet moving and strong along the boards. He's good at protecting the puck and plays with a lot of jam. Hopefully he keeps it up as he helps our bottom six depth a lot.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Good effort, seems to read the play well enough but I don't think there is much offense there at the NHL level.

For being new to the North American ice, he's been a pleasant surprise.

I think he's got to have earned staying in the lineup over Cliche at this point. Talbot can center the 4th line, or maybe Mitchell can work his way back into game shape, and they can keep the top 9 as is for the next few games since the top 6 is starting to click.

I wouldn't count on it. Cliche is the Guenin of forwards.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wouldn't count on it. Cliche is the Guenin of forwards.

Yea he kinda is, but I also get the feeling Roy might really really like what he's seen from Everberg. He might be the Holden of forwards, and I think we all know a Holden trumps a Guenin in Roy's books. :laugh:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

You know he will. I hope his first goal isn't in Lake Erie.

Everberg is hardly a story in the local/Avs media, which is a shame. People don't have any idea who he is or where he came from and he's playing with Landy and O'Reilly.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
How many more games does Everberg have to play before he has to go through waivers if we want to send him down?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Capgeek seems to have taken the waiver info down for the time being. It's age when he signed, not current age. Either way he's not getting to 60-70 games and if he does then they won't let him go at that point.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
looks like good pickup. i think there is NHLer there, though not top6 one but who knows. didn't expect him to play this good, doesn't look out of place.

Capgeek seems to have taken the waiver info down for the time being. It's age when he signed, not current age. Either way he's not getting to 60-70 games and if he does then they won't let him go at that point.

signing age refers how old the player is sept. 15 the year he signs the deal. not that it matters for everberg as he was 22 on both occasions.

so it's 70 games for him. and yeah, of he plays 70 games, he won't be waived.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Looks great so far. I wouldn't expect a lot offense out of him, but he's filling the hole in top-6 for now. Very good news.. He would be good on third/fourth line.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
He plays a similar game to Brain Boyle (TBL) in my opinion and that is just fine. Next year, I could see a Tangs - Mitchell - Everberg 3rd line and that would be a damn good one too. (I think Tangs is better suited to the 3rd line unless he turns it way up at this point.)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Everberg has a 70 game waiver exemption for 2 seasons. Well, now 66 as he has played 4 games.

He looks like he could be a really solid 3rd liner in time. I don't see enough skill to be a full time top 6 player, but he is doing spot duty there now and isn't totally out of place. If you really watch him, you can see defensive lapses and just not quite being in the right areas... but those are minor complaints that will level themselves off in time as he gets used to the NHL and the system.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Yeah, will be interesting to see the lineup when Mitchell and Winchester comes back. Hopefully Everberg can find a spot in the bottom six.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Everberg has a 70 game waiver exemption for 2 seasons. Well, now 66 as he has played 4 games.

He looks like he could be a really solid 3rd liner in time. I don't see enough skill to be a full time top 6 player, but he is doing spot duty there now and isn't totally out of place. If you really watch him, you can see defensive lapses and just not quite being in the right areas... but those are minor complaints that will level themselves off in time as he gets used to the NHL and the system.

3 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad